The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

And a bank rant, too :)

Forums General Melanoma Community And a bank rant, too :)

Participant

So I'm trying to get my new married name on all my loans,accounts, etc… I knew it would be a hassle, but I never knew it would cost me!

I have a mortgage on a rental house, very small balance, and they want to charge me $100 to change my name!!

And my other bank wants to charge me $15 to issue new cards!  They didn't even charge me when one of my cards was lost, but now that I'm married they want money?!

So I'm trying to get my new married name on all my loans,accounts, etc… I knew it would be a hassle, but I never knew it would cost me!

I have a mortgage on a rental house, very small balance, and they want to charge me $100 to change my name!!

And my other bank wants to charge me $15 to issue new cards!  They didn't even charge me when one of my cards was lost, but now that I'm married they want money?!

I'm paying off my mortgage on the one loan – the heck I'm going to give them $100 to change a few keystrokes in their system – I can't figure out how to get out of getting new cards, but I will definitely voice my displeasure to the bank.

Dang, don't they charge enough fees on everything else to cover this?

Cyn

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jerry from Cape Cod
        Participant

If it's just a plain charge card… no miles or cash back etc.,  I'd just stop using the old cards and set up an account with a new bank.  If you carry a balanc just continue to pay off the old card then cancel the account when the balance is zero.

Jerry

Jerry from Cape Cod
          Participant

If it's just a plain charge card… no miles or cash back etc.,  I'd just stop using the old cards and set up an account with a new bank.  If you carry a balanc just continue to pay off the old card then cancel the account when the balance is zero.

Jerry

jag
            Participant

Oh man, this crap is such a waste of people's time and a bunch of bullshit, kind of like denial for treatments like the health insurance company does.  They figure even if a small percentage of people go "Awe shucks" and just buys into it, what have they got to lose? Just tell the bank that wants to charge you for the card that you would like to withdraw everything you have in your account and go elsewhere.  The retard teller will then go get the manager, come out and they will tell you that since you are a good customer they will give you a "one time credit" same line used by my credit card companies, everytime I catch them with their bullshit charges-they tried to charge me a $45 fee for my reservations in Europe, which I never even went on.  Without skipping a beat, I told them to cancel the card.  Magically, the fee was wavered for "a one time credit".  Same thing for cell phones, cable company etc.

As for the mortgage, throughout the lifetime of your loan, the paperwork changes hands about 3 times/year banks buy and sell these things like kids trading baseball cards.  Gripe about it until they give in.  The only reason for the $100 charge is all of the foreclosures that are happening to them-they are losing money.  In the past, they would have given you a new mortgage at a lower rate, under a new name.  Unfortunately this is the only way left for banks to make money. 

jag
              Participant

Oh man, this crap is such a waste of people's time and a bunch of bullshit, kind of like denial for treatments like the health insurance company does.  They figure even if a small percentage of people go "Awe shucks" and just buys into it, what have they got to lose? Just tell the bank that wants to charge you for the card that you would like to withdraw everything you have in your account and go elsewhere.  The retard teller will then go get the manager, come out and they will tell you that since you are a good customer they will give you a "one time credit" same line used by my credit card companies, everytime I catch them with their bullshit charges-they tried to charge me a $45 fee for my reservations in Europe, which I never even went on.  Without skipping a beat, I told them to cancel the card.  Magically, the fee was wavered for "a one time credit".  Same thing for cell phones, cable company etc.

As for the mortgage, throughout the lifetime of your loan, the paperwork changes hands about 3 times/year banks buy and sell these things like kids trading baseball cards.  Gripe about it until they give in.  The only reason for the $100 charge is all of the foreclosures that are happening to them-they are losing money.  In the past, they would have given you a new mortgage at a lower rate, under a new name.  Unfortunately this is the only way left for banks to make money. 

dian in spokane
                Participant

I totally agree with john! it's bullshit.

I've never had someone push it when I told them I wouldn't pay such fees.

dian in spokane
                  Participant

I totally agree with john! it's bullshit.

I've never had someone push it when I told them I wouldn't pay such fees.

LV
                    Participant

Well, Cyn, if your manly husband went in, I'm sure they'd backtrack. We frail-minded women should just do as we're told, and stop making such a fuss all the damn time. Troublemaker.

LV
                      Participant

Well, Cyn, if your manly husband went in, I'm sure they'd backtrack. We frail-minded women should just do as we're told, and stop making such a fuss all the damn time. Troublemaker.

Yawn
                        Participant

Keep your own name!

Yawn
                          Participant

Keep your own name!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics