The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

An update on my hubby

Forums General Melanoma Community An update on my hubby

Participant

Liver function is getting better.  He has now developed hemolysis in addition to diabetes.  The darned steroid is kicking his butt.  They have now pulled Temodar off the table.

So frustrating.  The steroid has caused loss of strength so it makes it very difficult for him to do the stairs.  Imagine, a 41 year old man who was recently training for his black belt and he can now barely do a flight of stairs.  He has lost all of his toning and conditioning. 

Liver function is getting better.  He has now developed hemolysis in addition to diabetes.  The darned steroid is kicking his butt.  They have now pulled Temodar off the table.

So frustrating.  The steroid has caused loss of strength so it makes it very difficult for him to do the stairs.  Imagine, a 41 year old man who was recently training for his black belt and he can now barely do a flight of stairs.  He has lost all of his toning and conditioning. 

We know his time is limited so we are trying to make the most of every day we have been given.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

I was on 5 months of high dose dex for a brain met and then edema.  When I finally was weaned off I had all types of side effects. For me it was high blood pressure that was not controlled but my sugars stayed the same.  I totally loss muscle mass along with a crainectomy.  We got home care who worked with me to build the muscle mass back up.  The day I came home from the hospital I could not get up the one step into the house, while I have away to go I walked up a flight of steps with no assistant the other day for a funeral.   I now go to water therapy.    My muscles shake after I exercise but what a difference!    Get your oncologist to write a prescription for physical therapy, it really helped.  I was still on the steroids for the first month.

Steroids can be nasty but have discovered that at times it was needed.  Joint issues are still a huge problem plus many other aches and pains. If they can lower your husbands steroids at all it will help. 

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

I was on 5 months of high dose dex for a brain met and then edema.  When I finally was weaned off I had all types of side effects. For me it was high blood pressure that was not controlled but my sugars stayed the same.  I totally loss muscle mass along with a crainectomy.  We got home care who worked with me to build the muscle mass back up.  The day I came home from the hospital I could not get up the one step into the house, while I have away to go I walked up a flight of steps with no assistant the other day for a funeral.   I now go to water therapy.    My muscles shake after I exercise but what a difference!    Get your oncologist to write a prescription for physical therapy, it really helped.  I was still on the steroids for the first month.

Steroids can be nasty but have discovered that at times it was needed.  Joint issues are still a huge problem plus many other aches and pains. If they can lower your husbands steroids at all it will help. 

Linda

lhaley
            Participant

Linda

I am sorry the prednisone is kicking your hubby’s butt. I was up 60 mglast fall an d I am still on 5 mg today. When I was at 60 mg I struggled up a flight of stairs to but I can go up and down now so try not to give up improvement could be around the corner. I am not an athelete of any sort.i walk and ride a stationary bike and am 51 yr Grammy of four. I started to come back as liver number decreased on the Zelboraf.
              Best wishes and hopes for you both.
              Kathy
              I am sorry the prednisone is kicking your hubby’s butt. I was up 60 mglast fall an d I am still on 5 mg today. When I was at 60 mg I struggled up a flight of stairs to but I can go up and down now so try not to give up improvement could be around the corner. I am not an athelete of any sort.i walk and ride a stationary bike and am 51 yr Grammy of four. I started to come back as liver number decreased on the Zelboraf.
              Kathy
              Kathy
              MeNDave
              Participant

I know exactly where you are coming from.  My hubby is also 41, and does construction, and he too has lost alot of muscle tone.  He was in the hospital for a week where he did a round of carbo/taxol, and we go back today to get bloodwork.  He went from being bed ridden to within 4 days of the chemo going back to work.  I know that this treatment is not a cure per say, but he says he feels so much better on it.  He is also on Decadron (a steroid) which seems to help with the pain caused by the mets to his spine.  We are shooting for enough reduction to maybe start IPI.

We are also making the most of every day – something I have learned to do, because you just never know.

My thoughts are with you –

Maria

MeNDave
                Participant

I know exactly where you are coming from.  My hubby is also 41, and does construction, and he too has lost alot of muscle tone.  He was in the hospital for a week where he did a round of carbo/taxol, and we go back today to get bloodwork.  He went from being bed ridden to within 4 days of the chemo going back to work.  I know that this treatment is not a cure per say, but he says he feels so much better on it.  He is also on Decadron (a steroid) which seems to help with the pain caused by the mets to his spine.  We are shooting for enough reduction to maybe start IPI.

We are also making the most of every day – something I have learned to do, because you just never know.

Maria

MeNDave
                  Participant

Maria

Viewing 8 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics