The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

An apology

Forums Caregiver Community An apology

Participant

I just wanted to say that I apologise for any offence I may have caused regarding my reaction to POW's post and my subsequent advice to him/ her. This was not my intention.

I can fully understand that as a former caregiver the information given by POW is well appreciated but I personally feel upset that Gina and Vicki found me to be  "rude" and insulting.  I realise that my posts were rather curt so let me try and explain myself more…

I just wanted to say that I apologise for any offence I may have caused regarding my reaction to POW's post and my subsequent advice to him/ her. This was not my intention.

I can fully understand that as a former caregiver the information given by POW is well appreciated but I personally feel upset that Gina and Vicki found me to be  "rude" and insulting.  I realise that my posts were rather curt so let me try and explain myself more…

As a melanoma sufferer, I do not feel myself to be part of a "club" on this forum and, rightly or wrongly, I feel uncomfortable with this term as to me it is more reminiscent of Facebook with its more social approach.  That's just my opinion and I recognise that others like the sense of feeling they have joined a club.  Each to their own but I'm an individual with melanoma  facing my own individual experience.

My advice to POW was meant to be well meaning from his/ her side of the equation, not from the side of those who value her replies.  I can understand that POW has gained a lot of knowledge during the role of caregiver  and kindly takes the time to impart this via the forum.  I can see that continuing to contribute to the forum following POW's sad loss may well help POW come to terms with this.  Perhaps, though, it is also good to step back from the world of melanoma when you don't have to be part of that world.  The melanoma sufferers and current caregivers have no choice but to be part of this surreal existence.  I feel particular concern for POW when he/ she continues to post so regularly and use the word "us" as really only those currently living with melanoma and their caregivers are part of the "us" group.

So Gina and Vicki, you probably still don't understand but I've tried to explain.  In particular Gina, please don't pray for me as in common with many other people I don't believe in God.

Also, I see no problem if I choose to post anonymously as most do the same in effect as their forum "names" give no clue to their real identity so are choosing privacy.

Viewing 31 reply threads
    • Replies
        GAngel
        Participant

Apology accepted. You have your beliefs as I have mine which we are all entitled. I see no harm in praying for you as it is my choice and if you don't believe in God then it should make no difference to you if I pray to a God that does not exist. I assure you He does exist and it is my hope that soon you will come to know this to be true.

GAngel
          Participant

Apology accepted. You have your beliefs as I have mine which we are all entitled. I see no harm in praying for you as it is my choice and if you don't believe in God then it should make no difference to you if I pray to a God that does not exist. I assure you He does exist and it is my hope that soon you will come to know this to be true.

GAngel
            Participant

GAngel
              Participant

GAngel
                Participant

GAngel
                  Participant

JC
                    Participant

My own 2 cents; I think POW gives very thoughtful, logical and useful advice.  I would POW continues to give suggestions to those seeking advice, you don't have to have had melanoma to have learned a great deal about it, and I think POW knows a great deal about it, and it sharing that knowledge with those seeking another perspective.

JC
                      Participant

My own 2 cents; I think POW gives very thoughtful, logical and useful advice.  I would POW continues to give suggestions to those seeking advice, you don't have to have had melanoma to have learned a great deal about it, and I think POW knows a great deal about it, and it sharing that knowledge with those seeking another perspective.

JC
                        Participant

WendyPam
                          Participant

I'm sad to read your post and the way your approach what this board is about. I lost my Mother to Melanoma this past Nov. The day my Mother was diagnosed was the day I was too. Same goes for my father, brother and sister. Melanoma became a huge part of who we all became. I moved back from California to fight my Mother's fight with her. I had a newborn and a home one block away. For 2 years I slept on a sofa bed outside her door. I never wanted to miss a day with her.  It was never just my Mother's fight. It was a our family against  melanoma and our exstended family on this board that help us so much in our fight. This board became an extension of our family. We did "join the club". The club of the most amazing people. People who understood! People who had a vast amount of knowledge to share! Whether a melanoma patient or caregiver!  Yes, you are an individual with melanoma  facing your own individual experience. However, you came to this board for advise and support. Welcome the people that care. You could not have found a better group of people. 

All the best to you!

Wendy

WendyPam
                            Participant

I'm sad to read your post and the way your approach what this board is about. I lost my Mother to Melanoma this past Nov. The day my Mother was diagnosed was the day I was too. Same goes for my father, brother and sister. Melanoma became a huge part of who we all became. I moved back from California to fight my Mother's fight with her. I had a newborn and a home one block away. For 2 years I slept on a sofa bed outside her door. I never wanted to miss a day with her.  It was never just my Mother's fight. It was a our family against  melanoma and our exstended family on this board that help us so much in our fight. This board became an extension of our family. We did "join the club". The club of the most amazing people. People who understood! People who had a vast amount of knowledge to share! Whether a melanoma patient or caregiver!  Yes, you are an individual with melanoma  facing your own individual experience. However, you came to this board for advise and support. Welcome the people that care. You could not have found a better group of people. 

All the best to you!

Wendy

WendyPam
                              Participant

All the best to you!

Wendy

WendyPam
                                Participant

All the best to you!

Wendy

WendyPam
                                  Participant

All the best to you!

Wendy

WendyPam
                                    Participant

All the best to you!

Wendy

casagrayson
                                      Participant

Hmmm.   An apology would have been "I'm sorry I offended.  Please, POW, stay with us and share your well-researched information.  I hope you can gain peace in the process of continuing to help others in memory of your brother."   This was not an apology; rather it was an explanation of why others were wrong and you were right.

I am not the melanoma patient, my husband is.  Fortunately, he is currently just at Stage I but it seems every couple of months we are dealing with yet another very odd lesion that leaves us holding our breath.  I am on this site to learn and to keep abreast of new treatments so I will be prepared to jump in at full speed should the need arise.  Should I leave the site as well?  Should I stick my head in the sand and pretend melanoma doesn't exist and then just "wing it" if our journey becomes more complex?

I am a survivor of a rare disease myself.  I am, finally, in remission after brain surgery and years of drugs, treatments, and a load of patience.  I am still fully engaged on the forum that helped me through my multiple-year struggle.  I give advice, I lend an ear, I give virtual hugs when needed.  No one has ever suggested that I (or my caregivers) leave that board …. in fact, the long-term members who don't leave once their own needs are met are appreciated and valued.

By posting as "Anonymous" you give no one the option of following your particular journey, or checking up on you to see how things are going, or really caring about you which is one of the main purposes of this site.  I understand that some things are hugely personal and some might find comfort in posting anonymously for those discussions, but in general having an identifiable user name brings one closer to the group.  Your attitude appears to be one of "I'm in this for myself" or "I can do this by myself".   Frankly, I think you are selling yourself and everyone else short.  This journey (and I"m on it because my husband is) is tough enough with unlimited support; don't cheat yourself by trying to do it alone.

Just my two cents.

casagrayson
                                        Participant

Hmmm.   An apology would have been "I'm sorry I offended.  Please, POW, stay with us and share your well-researched information.  I hope you can gain peace in the process of continuing to help others in memory of your brother."   This was not an apology; rather it was an explanation of why others were wrong and you were right.

I am not the melanoma patient, my husband is.  Fortunately, he is currently just at Stage I but it seems every couple of months we are dealing with yet another very odd lesion that leaves us holding our breath.  I am on this site to learn and to keep abreast of new treatments so I will be prepared to jump in at full speed should the need arise.  Should I leave the site as well?  Should I stick my head in the sand and pretend melanoma doesn't exist and then just "wing it" if our journey becomes more complex?

I am a survivor of a rare disease myself.  I am, finally, in remission after brain surgery and years of drugs, treatments, and a load of patience.  I am still fully engaged on the forum that helped me through my multiple-year struggle.  I give advice, I lend an ear, I give virtual hugs when needed.  No one has ever suggested that I (or my caregivers) leave that board …. in fact, the long-term members who don't leave once their own needs are met are appreciated and valued.

By posting as "Anonymous" you give no one the option of following your particular journey, or checking up on you to see how things are going, or really caring about you which is one of the main purposes of this site.  I understand that some things are hugely personal and some might find comfort in posting anonymously for those discussions, but in general having an identifiable user name brings one closer to the group.  Your attitude appears to be one of "I'm in this for myself" or "I can do this by myself".   Frankly, I think you are selling yourself and everyone else short.  This journey (and I"m on it because my husband is) is tough enough with unlimited support; don't cheat yourself by trying to do it alone.

Just my two cents.

casagrayson
                                          Participant

Just my two cents.

becky15
                                            Participant

I'm out of here! 

becky15
                                              Participant

I'm out of here! 

becky15
                                                Participant

I'm out of here! 

Swanee
                                                  Participant

That's to bad, sorry you couldn't stay.  Nice folks here, who care a lot and love helping others.  Good luck in your journey.

deardad
                                                    Participant

I think we need to be careful not to discourage ones from joining here anonymously. Everyone has a right to be a part of this forum.

Nahm from Melbourne

JerryfromFauq
                                                      Participant

I suspect that Anonymous has provided much useful information at times here.  As I have told many, that while I may disagree with their view of God, I do pray for all with a special emphasis on letting us learn what we can to work this problem, both as patients, Doctors, and caregivers.  I have a problem with understanding how one can be too upset with me for praying to what they believe to be a non-existant power, even if they believe I am wasting my time doing so.  They do not have to accept my belief as their own, and I do not dislike them for their position, some I highly respect in other areas.  A person does not necessarily have to belive in a higher power to be a good person.  My father, a Baptist preacher, has stated that a good non-believer, can be harder to talk to about God, than the people that that do fit in the BAD catagory (Sometimes because of what they have seen in some that say they are Godly believers and some times because they have experienced too much of the hell on earth that we often experience.) 

I feel the loneliness that one with the actual disease can experience, the pain that a caregiver can experience while trying to provide the best care for a loved one that is dying and the pain of knowing what the loss of us can mean to the ones we leave behind.  Whether we refer to ourselves as a club, related group, family, etc, we do have a somewhat unique relationship with each other.  Many of us have gone out of our way to meet and help others and even to party with others fighting melanoma, that we would have never known otherwise. 

Yes, losing many here has hurt me and many others that I know, many have had loved ones die in their arms and also hurt as a result. 

I accept Anonymous statements of apology and fully support the right to post as Anonymous on this board.  I also accept his concern for POW about Melanoma not being the only thing in life.  I am sure POW will move a little further from the amount of time spent on the board as time goes on.  If the help POW provides others here helps POW as well as other patients and caregovers, so be  it, it is appreciated.   I have had to spent less time here than I want to, because Even if I may die from this Melanoma, I do have to do some other things before that occurs!

JerryfromFauq
                                                        Participant

I suspect that Anonymous has provided much useful information at times here.  As I have told many, that while I may disagree with their view of God, I do pray for all with a special emphasis on letting us learn what we can to work this problem, both as patients, Doctors, and caregivers.  I have a problem with understanding how one can be too upset with me for praying to what they believe to be a non-existant power, even if they believe I am wasting my time doing so.  They do not have to accept my belief as their own, and I do not dislike them for their position, some I highly respect in other areas.  A person does not necessarily have to belive in a higher power to be a good person.  My father, a Baptist preacher, has stated that a good non-believer, can be harder to talk to about God, than the people that that do fit in the BAD catagory (Sometimes because of what they have seen in some that say they are Godly believers and some times because they have experienced too much of the hell on earth that we often experience.) 

I feel the loneliness that one with the actual disease can experience, the pain that a caregiver can experience while trying to provide the best care for a loved one that is dying and the pain of knowing what the loss of us can mean to the ones we leave behind.  Whether we refer to ourselves as a club, related group, family, etc, we do have a somewhat unique relationship with each other.  Many of us have gone out of our way to meet and help others and even to party with others fighting melanoma, that we would have never known otherwise. 

Yes, losing many here has hurt me and many others that I know, many have had loved ones die in their arms and also hurt as a result. 

I accept Anonymous statements of apology and fully support the right to post as Anonymous on this board.  I also accept his concern for POW about Melanoma not being the only thing in life.  I am sure POW will move a little further from the amount of time spent on the board as time goes on.  If the help POW provides others here helps POW as well as other patients and caregovers, so be  it, it is appreciated.   I have had to spent less time here than I want to, because Even if I may die from this Melanoma, I do have to do some other things before that occurs!

JerryfromFauq
                                                          Participant

Swanee
                                                            Participant

"Like"

Swanee
                                                              Participant

"Like"

Dear Everyone:
                                                                I too am an atheist in a stage IV foxhole. I knew nothing failed like prayer ever since I found Jesus knew no more about algebra than I. Like anon. I am walking that lonesome valley and I have to walk it alone. I write this knowing I probably would not have the fight in me that I have, but for the love others have for me, and I for them. However, I think it an honor for those who believe differently to pray for me, and I thank them for taking the time from their lives to think of me and ask that I be helped. So there you have it, we all have a right to set our sails in this vast ocean of uncertainty, and it seems big enough for us all not to crash into one another. I am happy to be part of this family of care, support, and encouragement.
                                                                Dear Everyone:
                                                                I too am an atheist in a stage IV foxhole. I knew nothing failed like prayer ever since I found Jesus knew no more about algebra than I. Like anon. I am walking that lonesome valley and I have to walk it alone. I write this knowing I probably would not have the fight in me that I have, but for the love others have for me, and I for them. However, I think it an honor for those who believe differently to pray for me, and I thank them for taking the time from their lives to think of me and ask that I be helped. So there you have it, we all have a right to set our sails in this vast ocean of uncertainty, and it seems big enough for us all not to crash into one another. I am happy to be part of this family of care, support, and encouragement.
                                                                Dear Everyone:
                                                                GAngel
                                                                Participant

"Like" smileyheart 

Blessings and love to you!

Swanee
                                                                  Participant

That's to bad, sorry you couldn't stay.  Nice folks here, who care a lot and love helping others.  Good luck in your journey.

Swanee
                                                                    Participant

GAngel
                                                                      Participant

Dear Anonymous, please don't go. I apologize for anything that I said to offend you.  I feel terrible about what has happened as a result of my post, it was not at all what I had intended! I sincerely hope that you will reconsider leaving this forum as I'm sure that you have found support here as well as given it to others.  I don't know you personally, however, I care for you and want only the best for you. I respect your thoughts and opinions whether or not I agree with them.  I want you to know that I pray for everyone on this website because I want to be able to help, and that's the best way I feel that I am able. My prayers are not because I pity you, rather, they are because of my love for all of humanity, particularly for the suffering.  Please know that I am suffering  with my husband, his pain is my pain (not literally of course) , but if he loses this battle,  I lose too, if he dies, a huge part of me dies with him.  I have been with my husband for 31 years of the 46 that I have been alive, he is my world.  I found this forum because I am doing all that I can to educate myself about this disease so I can help save his life.   I am taking in all the information and advice that others here are so kind to offer and I hope to be of help to others in whatever way possible.  I wish none of us had a reason to be on this forum, but since we do, let's do what we can to help each other.  

GAngel
                                                                        Participant

Dear Anonymous, please don't go. I apologize for anything that I said to offend you.  I feel terrible about what has happened as a result of my post, it was not at all what I had intended! I sincerely hope that you will reconsider leaving this forum as I'm sure that you have found support here as well as given it to others.  I don't know you personally, however, I care for you and want only the best for you. I respect your thoughts and opinions whether or not I agree with them.  I want you to know that I pray for everyone on this website because I want to be able to help, and that's the best way I feel that I am able. My prayers are not because I pity you, rather, they are because of my love for all of humanity, particularly for the suffering.  Please know that I am suffering  with my husband, his pain is my pain (not literally of course) , but if he loses this battle,  I lose too, if he dies, a huge part of me dies with him.  I have been with my husband for 31 years of the 46 that I have been alive, he is my world.  I found this forum because I am doing all that I can to educate myself about this disease so I can help save his life.   I am taking in all the information and advice that others here are so kind to offer and I hope to be of help to others in whatever way possible.  I wish none of us had a reason to be on this forum, but since we do, let's do what we can to help each other.  

GAngel
                                                                          Participant

deardad
                                                                            Participant

I think we need to be careful not to discourage ones from joining here anonymously. Everyone has a right to be a part of this forum.

Nahm from Melbourne

deardad
                                                                              Participant

Nahm from Melbourne

GAngel
                                                                                Participant

If this site had a "Like" button, I would have pressed it on your post, lol! Very well said JerryfromFaug! God bless you.

GAngel
                                                                                  Participant

If this site had a "Like" button, I would have pressed it on your post, lol! Very well said JerryfromFaug! God bless you.

GAngel
                                                                                    Participant

Swanee
                                                                                      Participant

"Like"

Swanee
                                                                                        Participant

"Like"

Swanee
                                                                                          Participant

"Like"

Swanee
                                                                                            Participant

"Like"

Swanee
                                                                                              Participant

"Like"

Swanee
                                                                                                Participant

"Like"

Swanee
                                                                                                  Participant

"Like"

GAngel
                                                                                                    Participant

"Like" smileyheart 

GAngel
                                                                                                      Participant

"Like" smileyheart 

Viewing 31 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics