The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

“Alternative” treatment for Melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community “Alternative” treatment for Melanoma

Participant

Recently many folks have posed questions about foods, activities, or alternate treatments that may help rid their bodies of melanoma and/or prevent its recurrence.  I do NOT have all the answers.  In melanoma world, thankfully, we learn something new everyday.   However, I have been perusing the literature for all things melanoma for the past 4 years.  So, if you are interested…a recent post (in the 4th paragraph) contains links to real live, research and the results when folks looked at:  Strawberry juice, Eggplant, potatoes, and tomatoes, Red wine, Coffee (twice), Doxycycline, Curcumin (twice), Cimetidine, NSAID's, Shitake mushrooms, Vitamin D, Snake venom, Beta blockers, Sophora root, Sandalwood and even exercise…

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/06/alternative-treatment-for-melanoma.html

I guess the only recommendations I can make are these:

Don't let fear and slick talk from a charlatan cause you to miss out on treatments that can help you.

Melanoma sucks…decisions are hard….there is no perfect answer or cure.

And finally, have 4 cups of coffee in the morning, do some jumping jacks, have a a stir-fry with shitakes and eggplant for lunch, and a spicy curry with red wine and strawberries for desert in the evening!!!  (Just kidding….kinda.  You'll see when you read the reports!)

I wish you all my best.  Celeste

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        DZnDef
        Participant

I have great respect for all you do for everyone here, Celeste.  I appreciate that you (and most people) are in the conventional-medicine-only camp.  That is certainly the mainstream view.  As you may or may not know, I am currently pursuing 100% alternative treatment with a doctor that has a track record for keeping many folks with a Stage IV diagnosis alive many years beyond their "expiration date".  My choice is to start with the least toxic form of treatment I can find, if that doesn't work, move on to a more toxic one and so on as long as I am able.  This is a controversial choice and definitely not for everyone.  Many people pursue alternative treatments and die of their disease.  Many people pursue conventional treatments and die of their disease.  Some people pursue alternative treatments and live long healthy lives.  Some people pursue conventional treatments and live long healthy lives.  One thing that everyone can agree on is that there is no such thing as one treatment that works 100% of the time on everyone.

I personally am not satisfied with the statistics coming out of conventional medicine nor the side effects.  Does that mean alternative will be more effective?  Of course not!  But it will be less toxic and it is possible it might work or slow the disease, but maybe not.  If it does not work for me, that still would not mean that all alternative medicine doesn't work.  Unless you are willing to say that if Yervoy doesn't work for me I should conclude that all of conventional medicine doesn't work.  Yervoy/Keytruda/Opdivo does not work 100% of the time.  Alternative treatments should not be expected to perform better than conventional treatments in order to be considered a viable choice.

I know people that have healed their cancers naturally.  They exist.  Many more people have not been able to heal naturally.  I wouldn't be surprised if the statistics were similar to that of conventional medicine.  There are no formal statistics as these people are classified as "spontaneous remission" (if they returned to their doctors at all).

No doubt there are people looking to take advantage of the sick and scared.  Even so, give people credit for being able to think for themselves and make their own decisions even if it is a choice you don't agree with or understand.

Every current treatment that works was once unproven.  It is not the proof process that made the treatment work.

I have accepted the inevitability of my own mortality.  My treatment choices reflect the quality of life I want to live for whatever time I have left to me.

I truly value this board and all the encouragement people offer.  I especially enjoy being kept up to date on the latest news and advancements because I very likely will be using conventional medicine if my current treatment course does not work for me.  I hope this board continues to be welcoming to all of us battling melanoma no matter what our treatment decisions.

All my best,

Maggie

DZnDef
          Participant

I have great respect for all you do for everyone here, Celeste.  I appreciate that you (and most people) are in the conventional-medicine-only camp.  That is certainly the mainstream view.  As you may or may not know, I am currently pursuing 100% alternative treatment with a doctor that has a track record for keeping many folks with a Stage IV diagnosis alive many years beyond their "expiration date".  My choice is to start with the least toxic form of treatment I can find, if that doesn't work, move on to a more toxic one and so on as long as I am able.  This is a controversial choice and definitely not for everyone.  Many people pursue alternative treatments and die of their disease.  Many people pursue conventional treatments and die of their disease.  Some people pursue alternative treatments and live long healthy lives.  Some people pursue conventional treatments and live long healthy lives.  One thing that everyone can agree on is that there is no such thing as one treatment that works 100% of the time on everyone.

I personally am not satisfied with the statistics coming out of conventional medicine nor the side effects.  Does that mean alternative will be more effective?  Of course not!  But it will be less toxic and it is possible it might work or slow the disease, but maybe not.  If it does not work for me, that still would not mean that all alternative medicine doesn't work.  Unless you are willing to say that if Yervoy doesn't work for me I should conclude that all of conventional medicine doesn't work.  Yervoy/Keytruda/Opdivo does not work 100% of the time.  Alternative treatments should not be expected to perform better than conventional treatments in order to be considered a viable choice.

I know people that have healed their cancers naturally.  They exist.  Many more people have not been able to heal naturally.  I wouldn't be surprised if the statistics were similar to that of conventional medicine.  There are no formal statistics as these people are classified as "spontaneous remission" (if they returned to their doctors at all).

No doubt there are people looking to take advantage of the sick and scared.  Even so, give people credit for being able to think for themselves and make their own decisions even if it is a choice you don't agree with or understand.

Every current treatment that works was once unproven.  It is not the proof process that made the treatment work.

I have accepted the inevitability of my own mortality.  My treatment choices reflect the quality of life I want to live for whatever time I have left to me.

I truly value this board and all the encouragement people offer.  I especially enjoy being kept up to date on the latest news and advancements because I very likely will be using conventional medicine if my current treatment course does not work for me.  I hope this board continues to be welcoming to all of us battling melanoma no matter what our treatment decisions.

All my best,

Maggie

Bubbles
              Participant

Dear Maggie,

I am glad you made thoughtful decisions and are happy with your choices.  I hope they serve you well.  As I noted, the only person who can make the right decision for you is YOU!  People have been specifically asking about food and drugs NOT conventionally used to treat melanoma and I had a good deal of legitimate research articles that I had posted over the years on that very thing. I hope you read some of them and saw that many are positive…especially when it comes to curcumin and coffee…just so happens.  Data is data.  I think it matters.  But, you have to take it as you will, whether it is about strawberry juice and shitake mushrooms or anti-PD1 and BRAFi. I wish you my very best.  Celeste 

Bubbles
                Participant

Dear Maggie,

I am glad you made thoughtful decisions and are happy with your choices.  I hope they serve you well.  As I noted, the only person who can make the right decision for you is YOU!  People have been specifically asking about food and drugs NOT conventionally used to treat melanoma and I had a good deal of legitimate research articles that I had posted over the years on that very thing. I hope you read some of them and saw that many are positive…especially when it comes to curcumin and coffee…just so happens.  Data is data.  I think it matters.  But, you have to take it as you will, whether it is about strawberry juice and shitake mushrooms or anti-PD1 and BRAFi. I wish you my very best.  Celeste 

Bubbles
                  Participant

Dear Maggie,

killmel
                    Participant

Hi Maggie,

Thank you for your thoughtful post. I reviewed your profile and was wondering if you know where Dr. O'day is practicing.

I called the BH Cancer Center and was told he left 3 months ago. I am a former Dr. O'day patient and would like to start seeing him again.

Any info that you can give me about where Dr. O'day is practicing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Julie in SoCal
                      Participant

Hi there!  

Dr. O'Day's back at at St. John's.  You can contact his Patent Care Coord (Rob) at 310.315.6125.

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                        Participant

Hi there!  

Dr. O'Day's back at at St. John's.  You can contact his Patent Care Coord (Rob) at 310.315.6125.

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                          Participant

Hi there!  

Julie

DZnDef
                            Participant

Thanks for posting the info Julie!  I have not seen Dr O'Day since January and misplaced my letter from Beverly Hills with his new contact info (I thought he was now with the John Wayne Cancer Clinic).

DZnDef
                              Participant

Thanks for posting the info Julie!  I have not seen Dr O'Day since January and misplaced my letter from Beverly Hills with his new contact info (I thought he was now with the John Wayne Cancer Clinic).

DZnDef
                                Participant

killmel
                                  Participant

Hi Maggie,

Thank you for your thoughtful post. I reviewed your profile and was wondering if you know where Dr. O'day is practicing.

I called the BH Cancer Center and was told he left 3 months ago. I am a former Dr. O'day patient and would like to start seeing him again.

Any info that you can give me about where Dr. O'day is practicing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

killmel
                                    Participant

Hi Maggie,

Thanks.

DZnDef
                                    Participant

All my best,

Maggie

Squash
                                      Participant

There is no doubt that there are lots of alternative charlatans out there praying on vulnerable individuals with promises of cures that deliver nothing except for extracting money from the vulnerable. That is the hard part if you are looking for cures or treatments outside the mainstream arena. Nonetheless there are treatments and options that do work for some people but usually they are a combination of therapies like supplements, detox and diet that can never really be researched or studies under a controlled setting.

There are also any number of existing drugs which could be used in melanoma treatment but will never go through the necessary trials because they are too already off patent and of course  nobody is going to spend millions of dollars on something that doesnt yield any benefit. Examples of some of these drugs include: thalidomine, cimeditine, celebrex, heparin, temozolomide, antibiotics, viral therapies like rigvir.

A good part of the reasn for the search for alternative therapies and cures is that mainstream medicine has had an appalling record at treating advanced cancer. Melanoma treatments have been particularly brutal and unsuccessful offering treatments like chemo and interferon for decades which didnt really do anything much except make people sicker and perhaps shortened their life span. Endless surgeries cutting out bit after bit after bit and ultimately in most cases the patient succumbing to the disease.

Now finally there are some viable treatments emerging although it is still early days but over the next decade or two we could even reach the stage where many advanced melanomas can be managed as a chronic condition rather than as a terminal condition..

Squash
                                        Participant

There is no doubt that there are lots of alternative charlatans out there praying on vulnerable individuals with promises of cures that deliver nothing except for extracting money from the vulnerable. That is the hard part if you are looking for cures or treatments outside the mainstream arena. Nonetheless there are treatments and options that do work for some people but usually they are a combination of therapies like supplements, detox and diet that can never really be researched or studies under a controlled setting.

There are also any number of existing drugs which could be used in melanoma treatment but will never go through the necessary trials because they are too already off patent and of course  nobody is going to spend millions of dollars on something that doesnt yield any benefit. Examples of some of these drugs include: thalidomine, cimeditine, celebrex, heparin, temozolomide, antibiotics, viral therapies like rigvir.

A good part of the reasn for the search for alternative therapies and cures is that mainstream medicine has had an appalling record at treating advanced cancer. Melanoma treatments have been particularly brutal and unsuccessful offering treatments like chemo and interferon for decades which didnt really do anything much except make people sicker and perhaps shortened their life span. Endless surgeries cutting out bit after bit after bit and ultimately in most cases the patient succumbing to the disease.

Now finally there are some viable treatments emerging although it is still early days but over the next decade or two we could even reach the stage where many advanced melanomas can be managed as a chronic condition rather than as a terminal condition..

Squash
                                          Participant

ed williams
                                            Participant

Thank you Celeste for the topic of Alternate treatments! You were able to bring a smile to my face, as I sit here drinking my Extra Large Tim Hortons coffee on a beautiful Saturday morning in Ottawa. With all due respect to Maggie and Squash and there positions on Alternative Medicine. The forum as I understand it has a Mission statement about science and research in Melanoma. I am a Mouseketeer (experimental phase 3 trial participant ) according to Celeste. According to BMS, I am a stage 4 melanoma participant in Checkmate  067 since January 2014. I must admit that I come to a science and medical research forum to learn about current science and medical research in Melanoma. I am sure there are many forums out there that have mission statements about furthering the knowledge and well being of Cancer patients by the use of alternative medicine. I wish Maggie and Squash the best with the treatment options that they have selected! Again, thank you Celeste for all of the knowledge you bring to melanoma patients on this forum! Ed

ed williams
                                              Participant

Thank you Celeste for the topic of Alternate treatments! You were able to bring a smile to my face, as I sit here drinking my Extra Large Tim Hortons coffee on a beautiful Saturday morning in Ottawa. With all due respect to Maggie and Squash and there positions on Alternative Medicine. The forum as I understand it has a Mission statement about science and research in Melanoma. I am a Mouseketeer (experimental phase 3 trial participant ) according to Celeste. According to BMS, I am a stage 4 melanoma participant in Checkmate  067 since January 2014. I must admit that I come to a science and medical research forum to learn about current science and medical research in Melanoma. I am sure there are many forums out there that have mission statements about furthering the knowledge and well being of Cancer patients by the use of alternative medicine. I wish Maggie and Squash the best with the treatment options that they have selected! Again, thank you Celeste for all of the knowledge you bring to melanoma patients on this forum! Ed

DZnDef
                                                  Participant

Ed – Why does it have to be either or?  Why can't both and even integrated approaches be discussed in the same forum?  We all have the same disease.  I came to this forum to find out about ALL options for treating melanoma and then to use my own brain to decide my own path.  Just as you have done.  I do not begrudge anyone their choice.  In fact, I am fascinated to learn how each person's choices are working out for them.  If my choice does work for me, do you not want to know that?  If it doesn't work for me do you not want to know that?  I thought we were all here to help and support eachother.  We are all battling the same disease.

I hope this forum allows all people affected by melanoma to continue to participate.  I am not endorsing one type of treatment over another.  I don't know what will work for me if anything.  But I will continue to share my journey and maybe folks can learn from my experiences (good or bad) just like I am learning from everyone else's.

Maggie

DZnDef
                                                    Participant

Ed – Why does it have to be either or?  Why can't both and even integrated approaches be discussed in the same forum?  We all have the same disease.  I came to this forum to find out about ALL options for treating melanoma and then to use my own brain to decide my own path.  Just as you have done.  I do not begrudge anyone their choice.  In fact, I am fascinated to learn how each person's choices are working out for them.  If my choice does work for me, do you not want to know that?  If it doesn't work for me do you not want to know that?  I thought we were all here to help and support eachother.  We are all battling the same disease.

I hope this forum allows all people affected by melanoma to continue to participate.  I am not endorsing one type of treatment over another.  I don't know what will work for me if anything.  But I will continue to share my journey and maybe folks can learn from my experiences (good or bad) just like I am learning from everyone else's.

Maggie

DZnDef
                                                      Participant

Maggie

ed williams
                                                      Participant

Bubbles
                                                        Participant

I appreciate all your responses and all your positions.  The reason for my post here was simply to give out some research I had regarding specific foods, medicines, and other substances that have actually been tested in melanoma that are outside the "usual" in melanoma treatment.  Sadly, most of the tests were done on melanoma cells in a petri dish, so the results have to be taken with that understanding…though others were not.  As far as my stance on "alternative" treatment generally…I think it is pretty clear on my blog post…my only real objective is to make sure that folks are not swindled by crooks and charlatans.  Some alternative medicines are beneficial.  Some are harmful.  Some waste precious time and treasure as patients travel down a path that doesn't help them as time runs out before they get to one that works.  The same exact thing can be said of some traditional medical paths.  As my blog notes….it can be argued that interferon…and especially the Cure Tech anti-PD1 product…fall into exactly that category.  However, those failings do not make ALL docs and Big Pharma aligned in some scheme to do poorly by their patients….nor are ALL homeopaths loons.  What I hope for each of you, is that you look at all the data carefully, rationally (hard to do with the sword of melanoma hanging overhead) and then…decide what is best for you!  I think the most important line in my post is this one:  "…melanoma patients can only do the best we can.  We can research things to the best of our ability, find the best care we can afford to get to, and choose!  Sometimes it feels no better than throwing a dart at a board….with your eyes closed!"  Sadly, that is true. However, Squash made a wonderful point.  One that I am somewhat surprised that my 12 years in melanoma world has allowed me to see.  We currently have (as lame as they still are!!) some of the best treatments for melanoma since man has populated this planet.  Still, treatment remains lacking for many.   But, when we share and learn together…we can be one step ahead from the very start.  Wishing you all my best.  Celeste

Bubbles
                                                          Participant

I appreciate all your responses and all your positions.  The reason for my post here was simply to give out some research I had regarding specific foods, medicines, and other substances that have actually been tested in melanoma that are outside the "usual" in melanoma treatment.  Sadly, most of the tests were done on melanoma cells in a petri dish, so the results have to be taken with that understanding…though others were not.  As far as my stance on "alternative" treatment generally…I think it is pretty clear on my blog post…my only real objective is to make sure that folks are not swindled by crooks and charlatans.  Some alternative medicines are beneficial.  Some are harmful.  Some waste precious time and treasure as patients travel down a path that doesn't help them as time runs out before they get to one that works.  The same exact thing can be said of some traditional medical paths.  As my blog notes….it can be argued that interferon…and especially the Cure Tech anti-PD1 product…fall into exactly that category.  However, those failings do not make ALL docs and Big Pharma aligned in some scheme to do poorly by their patients….nor are ALL homeopaths loons.  What I hope for each of you, is that you look at all the data carefully, rationally (hard to do with the sword of melanoma hanging overhead) and then…decide what is best for you!  I think the most important line in my post is this one:  "…melanoma patients can only do the best we can.  We can research things to the best of our ability, find the best care we can afford to get to, and choose!  Sometimes it feels no better than throwing a dart at a board….with your eyes closed!"  Sadly, that is true. However, Squash made a wonderful point.  One that I am somewhat surprised that my 12 years in melanoma world has allowed me to see.  We currently have (as lame as they still are!!) some of the best treatments for melanoma since man has populated this planet.  Still, treatment remains lacking for many.   But, when we share and learn together…we can be one step ahead from the very start.  Wishing you all my best.  Celeste

SABKLYN
                                                              Participant

Terrific post C and totally jibes with everything I have read.  Very entertaining and as a coffee, red wine (cheers on that Pinot!) and Indian food lover, I am frequently releasing those very compounds into my system!  I don't see where you took an either/or position, but iinstead in your inimitable way, dished the details with your usual grace and humor.

in my mind, if something works for you and makes you feel more involved in the fight, do it…..but do your homework and be a wise consumer.  It's interesting that in my journey there are so many that impugn the medical community (before this descends into war, I will add vigorously, this does not apply to the responders to this post dear friends) and even enter into discussions about the medical community's conspiracy of preventing cancer cures from reaching the market because the disease is such a money maker (tin-foil hat alert).  

There is no doubt frustration and some element of fear associated with not having the silver bullet.  There is no harm as far as I can tell with becoming vegan, juicing, green smoothies and the like.  I personally keep away from the sugars, exercise and take a range of supplements including D3, grape seed extract, garlic extract resverstol ( in both pill and liquid form ) curcumin, and a multi…..but did this pre-Mel.

Anyway Celeste, keep those posts coming and to you and all in the " club" fight the good fight on your terms!

Stan

SABKLYN
                                                                Participant

Terrific post C and totally jibes with everything I have read.  Very entertaining and as a coffee, red wine (cheers on that Pinot!) and Indian food lover, I am frequently releasing those very compounds into my system!  I don't see where you took an either/or position, but iinstead in your inimitable way, dished the details with your usual grace and humor.

in my mind, if something works for you and makes you feel more involved in the fight, do it…..but do your homework and be a wise consumer.  It's interesting that in my journey there are so many that impugn the medical community (before this descends into war, I will add vigorously, this does not apply to the responders to this post dear friends) and even enter into discussions about the medical community's conspiracy of preventing cancer cures from reaching the market because the disease is such a money maker (tin-foil hat alert).  

There is no doubt frustration and some element of fear associated with not having the silver bullet.  There is no harm as far as I can tell with becoming vegan, juicing, green smoothies and the like.  I personally keep away from the sugars, exercise and take a range of supplements including D3, grape seed extract, garlic extract resverstol ( in both pill and liquid form ) curcumin, and a multi…..but did this pre-Mel.

Anyway Celeste, keep those posts coming and to you and all in the " club" fight the good fight on your terms!

Stan

SABKLYN
                                                                  Participant

Stan

jpg
                                                                    Participant

Indeed, it is best to call this integrative medicine, not alternative;  here's a great sight from Sloan Kettering that validates the use of it:  https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/treatments/symptom-management/integrative-medicine

jpg
                                                                      Participant

Indeed, it is best to call this integrative medicine, not alternative;  here's a great sight from Sloan Kettering that validates the use of it:  https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/treatments/symptom-management/integrative-medicine

jpg
                                                                        Participant

DZnDef
                                                                          Participant

Celeste – I apologize as it appears that I may have posted my position in the wrong thread.  I cannot truly take exception to your original post in this thread.  However, the phrase "Don't let fear and slick talk from a charlatan cause you to miss out on treatments that can help you" – is what triggered my response.  I agree with this phrase taken by itself.  However, you recently were involved with the following exchange:

Ed – "I would change the title from "The Truth About Cancer" to "I am a snake oil salesman…"

Your response – "Well said my little Mouseketeer…"

One of my (several) current doctors was featured on this series.  I am of the opinion that he is not a snake oil salesman.  Ed's and your comments demonstrated bias against people who make a living guiding folks through alternative treatments.  So I reacted to your comment in this thread in that context.

Best,

Maggie

DZnDef
                                                                            Participant

Celeste – I apologize as it appears that I may have posted my position in the wrong thread.  I cannot truly take exception to your original post in this thread.  However, the phrase "Don't let fear and slick talk from a charlatan cause you to miss out on treatments that can help you" – is what triggered my response.  I agree with this phrase taken by itself.  However, you recently were involved with the following exchange:

Ed – "I would change the title from "The Truth About Cancer" to "I am a snake oil salesman…"

One of my (several) current doctors was featured on this series.  I am of the opinion that he is not a snake oil salesman.  Ed's and your comments demonstrated bias against people who make a living guiding folks through alternative treatments.  So I reacted to your comment in this thread in that context.

Best,

Maggie

DZnDef
                                                                              Participant

Best,

Maggie

amelanomajourney
                                                                                Participant

Has anyone read Ben Goldacre or Timothy Caulfield's work?  Both excellent authors who have a clever way of debunking health "miracle" myths.  

Here's a 15 minute snippet worth watching: http://www.ted.com/talks/ben_goldacre_battling_bad_science?language=en

It is not black and white, but I certainly know immunotherapy has revolutionized melanoma treatment – and for that I am thankful.  

DZnDef
                                                                                  Participant

Really interesting video  with some new information I hadn't heard before.  I enjoyed the comment section as well.  Thanks for posting!

DZnDef
                                                                                    Participant

Really interesting video  with some new information I hadn't heard before.  I enjoyed the comment section as well.  Thanks for posting!

DZnDef
                                                                                      Participant

amelanomajourney
                                                                                        Participant

Has anyone read Ben Goldacre or Timothy Caulfield's work?  Both excellent authors who have a clever way of debunking health "miracle" myths.  

Here's a 15 minute snippet worth watching: http://www.ted.com/talks/ben_goldacre_battling_bad_science?language=en

It is not black and white, but I certainly know immunotherapy has revolutionized melanoma treatment – and for that I am thankful.  

amelanomajourney
                                                                                          Participant

Bubbles
                                                                                          Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics