The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

ALND people–how long did you have the JP drain? (yes, again!)

Forums General Melanoma Community ALND people–how long did you have the JP drain? (yes, again!)

Participant

I'm 22 days post-op for complete axillary lymph node dissection, and my JP drain is still putting out 50-60 cc's per day. My surgeon was worried about infection and wanted it out last week, but I talked him into leaving it as I'm concerned about the output. I'm afraid that pulling it too soon will lead to a seroma or lymphedema. 

I've read on some breast cancer boards that people have had them in for up to 4 weeks, but I haven't seen anything beyond that. 

Did anyone here have theirs in a long time? 

I'm 22 days post-op for complete axillary lymph node dissection, and my JP drain is still putting out 50-60 cc's per day. My surgeon was worried about infection and wanted it out last week, but I talked him into leaving it as I'm concerned about the output. I'm afraid that pulling it too soon will lead to a seroma or lymphedema. 

I've read on some breast cancer boards that people have had them in for up to 4 weeks, but I haven't seen anything beyond that. 

Did anyone here have theirs in a long time? 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

I had mine pulled on day 25 and I was still draining way over the required amount.  It was pulled for fear of an infection.   Yes I did get a seroma (which Onc didn't want to drain for "fear of an infection") so it burst on it's own….that was sooooo much better, NOT!  And yes I do have some lymphedema but it can be easily dealt with especially if you get on it as soon as it pops up.  The one certainity I can tell you for certain is getting the drain out will be one of the happiest days of you life!wink

Mary

Stage 3

mama1960
            Participant

I went 7 weeks with mine and it never did get down to a decent level. Yes, I do have lymphedema, but i expect i would have had it anyway.

mama1960
              Participant

I went 7 weeks with mine and it never did get down to a decent level. Yes, I do have lymphedema, but i expect i would have had it anyway.

mama1960
                Participant

washoegal
                Participant

I had mine pulled on day 25 and I was still draining way over the required amount.  It was pulled for fear of an infection.   Yes I did get a seroma (which Onc didn't want to drain for "fear of an infection") so it burst on it's own….that was sooooo much better, NOT!  And yes I do have some lymphedema but it can be easily dealt with especially if you get on it as soon as it pops up.  The one certainity I can tell you for certain is getting the drain out will be one of the happiest days of you life!wink

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                  Participant

Mary

Stage 3

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant
                      It took six weeks for the second drain to get down to the
                      30-40 mL/day level needed for removal. Had been as high as 400 mL per day (when working on a floor, four weeks after the operation) Other drain was removed after only two weeks, was down to about 15 mL/day.

No lymph-edema afterwards.

Paid a lot of attention to keeping the area around the tube entry germ free. to prevent infection when the the sieve would get blocked from the mucous and then leak out around the entry point of the tube into my abdomen.

JerryfromFauq
                      Participant
                        30-40 mL/day level needed for removal. Had been as high as 400 mL per day (when working on a floor, four weeks after the operation) Other drain was removed after only two weeks, was down to about 15 mL/day.

Paid a lot of attention to keeping the area around the tube entry germ free. to prevent infection when the the sieve would get blocked from the mucous and then leak out around the entry point of the tube into my abdomen.

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics