The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Almost there…..

Forums General Melanoma Community Almost there…..

Participant

Hi everyone, 

It has been awhile since I've updated my status here but I figured I should share my continued good results from my NIH TIL treatment.  

Just to recap – I completed the randomized TIL trial at NIH in late May of 2012.  I randomized to the non-radiation arm of the study.  I had my 4th follow-up visit last week and all of my tumors have shown remarkable response thus far.  

Hi everyone, 

It has been awhile since I've updated my status here but I figured I should share my continued good results from my NIH TIL treatment.  

Just to recap – I completed the randomized TIL trial at NIH in late May of 2012.  I randomized to the non-radiation arm of the study.  I had my 4th follow-up visit last week and all of my tumors have shown remarkable response thus far.  

The scans showed that over 90% of the total tumor volume is gone. All that remains is a smudge of the big tumor in my right lung (maybe just scar) and a spot in my femur that hasn't really changed much in over 1.5yrs of watching it. Two more of the tumors they've been following are no longer seen. Bye-Bye suckers…. 

The other good news is (the physicians have never said this to me before)… They said that they've found if they can get all of the cancer to go away with this treatment – it usually stays away! Of course, no guarantees but I'll take any reassuring words. 

I go back in another 2 months for studies and scans and am looking forward to spreading these trips out even farther. 

My family has so much to celebrate this year. When I was first diagnosed as Stage 4 my wife was 7 months pregnant and my little girl turns 3 next week. I am lucky! 

Happy holidays to you all and may 2013 be one filled with positive results for this community. 
      Troy
    Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Snickers60
        Participant

Way to go !   Good for you – and so glad for the GOOD NEWS !    KEEP ON KEEPING ON………

Snickers60
          Participant

Way to go !   Good for you – and so glad for the GOOD NEWS !    KEEP ON KEEPING ON………

Snickers60
            Participant

triciad
              Participant

God bless you and grant you continued good health.  Thanks for sharing this wonderful news!

triciad
                Participant

God bless you and grant you continued good health.  Thanks for sharing this wonderful news!

triciad
                  Participant

DeniseK
                    Participant

Hi Troy,

Well first of all HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the little one!  Secondly CONGRATS on such an awesome response. 

I don't know too much about Til treatment but I've heard of it.  Do they use this on people with numerous tumors?  Is this FDA approved treatment?  I will have to do some research.  Always interested in anything that is working for others.

Denise

Phil S
                        Participant
                          That’s such GREAT news, love to hear it! My husband also did TIL in Hpuston in May. He is currently stable, scanned again in January. Your story gives us such hope! Enjoy your holidays with you family! All the best, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                          Phil S
                          Participant
                            That’s such GREAT news, love to hear it! My husband also did TIL in Hpuston in May. He is currently stable, scanned again in January. Your story gives us such hope! Enjoy your holidays with you family! All the best, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                            Phil S
                            Participant
                              TSchulz
                              Participant

Denise, 

Thanks for the reply. I'll give you a short version of TIL treatment or Adoptive Cell Therapy – please ask your MD if it is something they might consider for you.  

I believe TIL treatments are still only classified as trials and done only at NIH and MD Anderson right now in the US (as well as some international sites starting up programs UK, Netherlands, Israel that I've heard of).  Moffitt used to do it but I recall reading that they had to stop due to funding issues.  

Basically, it is a challenging treatment regimen where they harvest tumors from you then isolate "tumor infiltrating lymphocytes" (TIL cells) from the tumor directly.  They can multiply those cells in the lab to the 10-100 billions and then give the cells back to you after essentially killing off your current immune system.  The idea is to "retrain" and "recharge" your immune system to recognize and kill the melanoma cells.  The goal is long term, durable responses.  You'll see response rates reported ranging from 20-70% based on the type of lymphodepletion used. 

That is a short version – there are many articles out there that better describe it.  NIH is doing several variations on this process in an attempt to better understand why some people respond completely while others may not.  They are also doing one trial combining cell therapy with vemurafenib.  

All the best to you – Troy 

TSchulz
                                Participant

Denise, 

Thanks for the reply. I'll give you a short version of TIL treatment or Adoptive Cell Therapy – please ask your MD if it is something they might consider for you.  

I believe TIL treatments are still only classified as trials and done only at NIH and MD Anderson right now in the US (as well as some international sites starting up programs UK, Netherlands, Israel that I've heard of).  Moffitt used to do it but I recall reading that they had to stop due to funding issues.  

Basically, it is a challenging treatment regimen where they harvest tumors from you then isolate "tumor infiltrating lymphocytes" (TIL cells) from the tumor directly.  They can multiply those cells in the lab to the 10-100 billions and then give the cells back to you after essentially killing off your current immune system.  The idea is to "retrain" and "recharge" your immune system to recognize and kill the melanoma cells.  The goal is long term, durable responses.  You'll see response rates reported ranging from 20-70% based on the type of lymphodepletion used. 

That is a short version – there are many articles out there that better describe it.  NIH is doing several variations on this process in an attempt to better understand why some people respond completely while others may not.  They are also doing one trial combining cell therapy with vemurafenib.  

TSchulz
                                  Participant

Denise, 

NYKaren
                                    Participant
                                      Great news, Troy.
                                      I hope you have continued success.
                                      Enjoy your little girl. Honestly, just yesterday mine were 3 and 5, now they’re 23 and 25!
                                      Best wishes,
                                      karen
                                      NYKaren
                                      Participant
                                        Great news, Troy.
                                        Enjoy your little girl. Honestly, just yesterday mine were 3 and 5, now they’re 23 and 25!
                                        Best wishes,
                                        karen
                                        NYKaren
                                        Participant
                                          Great news, Troy.
                                          Best wishes,
                                          karen
                                        DeniseK
                                        Participant

Hi Troy,

Well first of all HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the little one!  Secondly CONGRATS on such an awesome response. 

I don't know too much about Til treatment but I've heard of it.  Do they use this on people with numerous tumors?  Is this FDA approved treatment?  I will have to do some research.  Always interested in anything that is working for others.

Denise

DeniseK
                                          Participant

Hi Troy,

Denise

Angela C
                                            Participant

Hey Troy. Congrats on the awesome news!! I'm so happy that the TIL treatment is working for you! They are great at NIH. We miss them!

~Angela

Angela C
                                              Participant

Hey Troy. Congrats on the awesome news!! I'm so happy that the TIL treatment is working for you! They are great at NIH. We miss them!

~Angela

Angela C
                                                Participant

~Angela

Ali
                                                  Participant

Awesome Troy!!!  I have been wondering how you have been doing.  Love this kind of news! 

Ali
                                                    Participant

Awesome Troy!!!  I have been wondering how you have been doing.  Love this kind of news! 

Ali
                                                      Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics