The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Allovectin and Oncovex

Forums General Melanoma Community Allovectin and Oncovex

Participant
      Hi,

Has anyone participated in either the Allovectin or Oncovex trials? Allovectin is an immunotherapy injected into the tumor and Oncovex is a vaccine. Please let me know the results, side effects,etc. I want to see if either of these are viable options for dad.

Thank you.
      Chau

Hi,

Has anyone participated in either the Allovectin or Oncovex trials? Allovectin is an immunotherapy injected into the tumor and Oncovex is a vaccine. Please let me know the results, side effects,etc. I want to see if either of these are viable options for dad.

Thank you.
      Chau

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Karin L
        Participant

My first fight against mel was in the OncoVex phase III trial.  I would go to the office every 2 weeks and have injections directly into 5  tumors in my groin.  The injections felt like bee stings.  By the evening I would have the chills really bad and run a high fever that would last overnight. Within 24-48 hrs I would start to feel good.  My thigh near the injection site would swell and get red and feel warm.  That lasted about 3 days.  The worse side affect was joint pain.  I had it in every joint, all the time.  It was tolerable though.  These were the main side affects you could count on each visit.  The rest of the time I felt really good.

First scans at 3mos. showed disease progression.  At the start I had one met in my liver and by this time there were many.  I also had substantial bone mets .  The tumors in the groin had changed after injection 2.  Some were smaller, some  disappeared so we were very hopeful.  The flip side of the vaccine is what did not work for me.  It was manufactured to also boost the immune system to fight the sattelite mets.  Neither my Dr. nor I recognized the pain in my back and shoulders was the mel because of the positve reaction in the lymph nodes.  We both attributed it to side affects.  Hindsight now.

Karin

Karin L
          Participant

My first fight against mel was in the OncoVex phase III trial.  I would go to the office every 2 weeks and have injections directly into 5  tumors in my groin.  The injections felt like bee stings.  By the evening I would have the chills really bad and run a high fever that would last overnight. Within 24-48 hrs I would start to feel good.  My thigh near the injection site would swell and get red and feel warm.  That lasted about 3 days.  The worse side affect was joint pain.  I had it in every joint, all the time.  It was tolerable though.  These were the main side affects you could count on each visit.  The rest of the time I felt really good.

First scans at 3mos. showed disease progression.  At the start I had one met in my liver and by this time there were many.  I also had substantial bone mets .  The tumors in the groin had changed after injection 2.  Some were smaller, some  disappeared so we were very hopeful.  The flip side of the vaccine is what did not work for me.  It was manufactured to also boost the immune system to fight the sattelite mets.  Neither my Dr. nor I recognized the pain in my back and shoulders was the mel because of the positve reaction in the lymph nodes.  We both attributed it to side affects.  Hindsight now.

Karin

Karin L
            Participant

Karin

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics