The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

After effects of Lymphadenectomy

Forums General Melanoma Community After effects of Lymphadenectomy

Participant

I had surgery one week and 2 days ago to remove the lymph nodes in my right arm. Since then I've felt like I have a football under my arm. The back outside of my upper arm is numb, tingly, hurts, and feel normal in small increments all over my arm. My elbow feels like I've banged it on something. These sensations also extend to the back of that shoulder and around the torso on the side of my breast. I've seen my surgeon this week and she thinks everything looks good, but I'm wondering how long these effects will last.

I had surgery one week and 2 days ago to remove the lymph nodes in my right arm. Since then I've felt like I have a football under my arm. The back outside of my upper arm is numb, tingly, hurts, and feel normal in small increments all over my arm. My elbow feels like I've banged it on something. These sensations also extend to the back of that shoulder and around the torso on the side of my breast. I've seen my surgeon this week and she thinks everything looks good, but I'm wondering how long these effects will last. I know the recovery time is 6 weeks and I'm only a week in. Has anyone else had these weird symptoms? The surgeon said she did have to cut two of the nerves going down into my arm, and that it could take months for them to grow back, if they do.

Any feedback on how long before my arm/armpit feels normal again? (Still not sleeping on that side, either).

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

The tingling, numbness and feeling around the elbow is all from the nerve damage.  I had just 5 nodes removed from my arm (not armpit) in Oct. When I overuse that arm I still get the feelings that your talking about and I didn't have any nerves cut.  At first my surgeon thought that the nerve might be involved with my tumor. He warned me that he would not cut any nerves if possible and if he saw that they were involved he would close up the area and not remove the tumor because of the side effects (I'm stage IV and was told that I would have to go systemic if this was the case). 

Your surgeon should be discussing the side effects with you. There are drugs like Lyrica that will help with damaged nerves.  I had major surgery a few years ago and many nerve ends were damaged, the drug was a life saver!  That was 4.5 years ago and everyonce and awhile I still get the tingling. The numbness never went away.

It does get better but it will take time!

Linda

lhaley
            Participant

I should have asked you if the drains are still in place.  Removing them too early can cause lymphodemia. You commented about feeling like  football is under your arm. Is it swelled also or is this your way of explaining how it feels?

lhaley
              Participant

I should have asked you if the drains are still in place.  Removing them too early can cause lymphodemia. You commented about feeling like  football is under your arm. Is it swelled also or is this your way of explaining how it feels?

lhaley
              Participant

The tingling, numbness and feeling around the elbow is all from the nerve damage.  I had just 5 nodes removed from my arm (not armpit) in Oct. When I overuse that arm I still get the feelings that your talking about and I didn't have any nerves cut.  At first my surgeon thought that the nerve might be involved with my tumor. He warned me that he would not cut any nerves if possible and if he saw that they were involved he would close up the area and not remove the tumor because of the side effects (I'm stage IV and was told that I would have to go systemic if this was the case). 

Your surgeon should be discussing the side effects with you. There are drugs like Lyrica that will help with damaged nerves.  I had major surgery a few years ago and many nerve ends were damaged, the drug was a life saver!  That was 4.5 years ago and everyonce and awhile I still get the tingling. The numbness never went away.

It does get better but it will take time!

Linda

CarolA
                Participant

And night time is the worst for feeling things, being tired, and it all seems like just too much!!

You are only a little over a week post surgery, your body is still healing, and your body will heal different from others.   Are you still taking any pain meds, at least at night?    Something at night when the twinges and pangs and pains are more noticeable?     I'm sure I did that to help get some good rest.    I can't account for what pains I did feel, but I know they were not predictable and they were random.   That fullness under the arm—I'm pretty sure I remember that.   The tingliness for me did disappear after a while, but again it was a long time ago.   I still notice flashes of that numb feeling (well, of course it is there when I shower and wash or apply any pressure to the underarm area).  

One thing I do remember is that I did not sleep in bed, much less on my side, for weeks.   I had a barcolounge chair that I made comfy with an extra pillow to elevate my arm in the beginning.    I'm sure not every LND patient has the use of a barcolounger chair, but this one sure did need it.    Then, when I did return to the bed, it was a wrestling match with the covers to try to push myself up and out of bed and to try to feel comfortble sleeping just on the one unaffected side.  But I did, and now I can even lie on the side that had the surgery.   That ability to lie on the surgical side took a long time, months I am certain.

Patience is hard in recovery.   Time to heal doesn't go fast enough.   There is no magic wand, and, like I said, the night is the worst—your mind wanders, you feel terrible because you are tired.    I wish I had some magic to send you into blissful sleep.  I can say that it will come, it will.   The pings and pangs will subside,   One day you will actually forget about it!!   You'll realize that you haven't thought of any wrong feelings in your arm!!   It does take a while, like your doctor said.   So, I will say goodnight, and try to sleep and just take this time to heal and take care of yourself.   You are not that far long in recovery.   Best wishes.

CarolA  –  Stage III     

CarolA
                  Participant

And night time is the worst for feeling things, being tired, and it all seems like just too much!!

You are only a little over a week post surgery, your body is still healing, and your body will heal different from others.   Are you still taking any pain meds, at least at night?    Something at night when the twinges and pangs and pains are more noticeable?     I'm sure I did that to help get some good rest.    I can't account for what pains I did feel, but I know they were not predictable and they were random.   That fullness under the arm—I'm pretty sure I remember that.   The tingliness for me did disappear after a while, but again it was a long time ago.   I still notice flashes of that numb feeling (well, of course it is there when I shower and wash or apply any pressure to the underarm area).  

One thing I do remember is that I did not sleep in bed, much less on my side, for weeks.   I had a barcolounge chair that I made comfy with an extra pillow to elevate my arm in the beginning.    I'm sure not every LND patient has the use of a barcolounger chair, but this one sure did need it.    Then, when I did return to the bed, it was a wrestling match with the covers to try to push myself up and out of bed and to try to feel comfortble sleeping just on the one unaffected side.  But I did, and now I can even lie on the side that had the surgery.   That ability to lie on the surgical side took a long time, months I am certain.

Patience is hard in recovery.   Time to heal doesn't go fast enough.   There is no magic wand, and, like I said, the night is the worst—your mind wanders, you feel terrible because you are tired.    I wish I had some magic to send you into blissful sleep.  I can say that it will come, it will.   The pings and pangs will subside,   One day you will actually forget about it!!   You'll realize that you haven't thought of any wrong feelings in your arm!!   It does take a while, like your doctor said.   So, I will say goodnight, and try to sleep and just take this time to heal and take care of yourself.   You are not that far long in recovery.   Best wishes.

CarolA  –  Stage III     

washoegal
                    Participant

I think that most everyone who has this surgery has some kind of nerve damage.  I about 15 months out of surgery and I still have minor annoyances.  I was told that it takes up to 18 months for nerves to completely heal.  So either I am still healing or this is just the way I am going to be.  Either way, I don't care, they got the d**n Mel out, so I can live with the minor discomfort. 

The first 3-4 weeks, yes the nerve pain was fairly high.  But it progressively changed, as the nerves heal the sensation will change, maybe worsen, then it will suddenly lessen.  My armpit and part of the upper arm is numb now so I don't dare shave under it, tried an electric razor and made a mess of it so I gave up.  All of this is minor. 

Don't sleep on that side for a while, you want to avoid lymphedema so as much as you can keep that area elevated it will be better. 

Good Luck.

Mary

Stage 3

boot2aboot
                        Participant

it is likely from nerve damage…treat yourself well, use you arm lightly, don't let them take the drain out too soon, make sure once you do get the drain out, you have pt….take anit-inflammitory type NSAIDS to reduce swelling…make sure that you dress the wound exactly as instructed and if you go walking or anything active ask for an arm brace to wear for now…the nerves, if treated right will come back, maybe not completely but a lot better than what you experience now…also make sure nothing scratches or pinches or anyone draw blood from that arm here on out to reduce lymphodema risk and do not sleep on that side…i made a bracelet to wear to remind me….also, i padded my side to keep my arm from resting against ribs…that seemed to help especially sleeping

boot2aboot
                          Participant

it is likely from nerve damage…treat yourself well, use you arm lightly, don't let them take the drain out too soon, make sure once you do get the drain out, you have pt….take anit-inflammitory type NSAIDS to reduce swelling…make sure that you dress the wound exactly as instructed and if you go walking or anything active ask for an arm brace to wear for now…the nerves, if treated right will come back, maybe not completely but a lot better than what you experience now…also make sure nothing scratches or pinches or anyone draw blood from that arm here on out to reduce lymphodema risk and do not sleep on that side…i made a bracelet to wear to remind me….also, i padded my side to keep my arm from resting against ribs…that seemed to help especially sleeping

washoegal
                          Participant

I think that most everyone who has this surgery has some kind of nerve damage.  I about 15 months out of surgery and I still have minor annoyances.  I was told that it takes up to 18 months for nerves to completely heal.  So either I am still healing or this is just the way I am going to be.  Either way, I don't care, they got the d**n Mel out, so I can live with the minor discomfort. 

The first 3-4 weeks, yes the nerve pain was fairly high.  But it progressively changed, as the nerves heal the sensation will change, maybe worsen, then it will suddenly lessen.  My armpit and part of the upper arm is numb now so I don't dare shave under it, tried an electric razor and made a mess of it so I gave up.  All of this is minor. 

Don't sleep on that side for a while, you want to avoid lymphedema so as much as you can keep that area elevated it will be better. 

Good Luck.

Mary

Stage 3

Viewing 5 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics