The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

advice treatment

Forums General Melanoma Community advice treatment

Participant
      Hi everyone some of you know me. So i will quickly let others know my situation. Stage 3 melanoma

Initial tumor was 4.7 mm depth 2cm vertical. Mitoic rate 7 margin clear by 0.3

Had wle and found 2.9mm more same tumor not reoccurance.

Had neck discetion as primary back of neck and had 4 out of 40 nodes cancer but still intact.

Treatment recommended

Everyday 5 weeks radition
      1 year interferon

Or radition and clinical trial pembro/interferon

However i have 98 days from surgery to get clinical trial and do radition however i have an ooen wiund on neck due to infection and need it to heal by dec 16.

So if not healed should i skip radition go straight to clinical trial and if i dont get pembro stop trial do radition and then do 1 year interferon.

My neck is still healing and hoping infection oa gone however i still have hard areas on neck which i am concerned about. I see oncoligist surgeon on tuesday ..

Any advice on this would be good.

I would rather not do radition as i know sode effects esoecially on neck can be bad.

Thanks

Lisa

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        debwray
        Participant

Hi Lisa,

The hard lumps on your neck could be a seroma / collection of lymph in the tissues following the removal of so many nodes.

I think you are in Canada like SOLE.  Have they given you the full trial details ?

I know I keep banging on about it .. but the only stage 3 trial I can find in Canada ( Clinicaltrials.gov ) reads investigators/ patients choice ie ipi or interferon v pembrolizumab. But it may be restricted to the choices approved in Canada.

The infection will need to be healed before radiation commences. Does the radiation team know the constraints you are working with and can they do anything to help the time constraints ?

If they have recommended radiation I'm sure it is because your team think the benefits out weigh the downsides.

I would raise your concerns with the oncologist and explain you are considering skipping radiation if you can get to the PD1 drug for systemic treatment – and ask for a copy of the trial protocol.

These are hard choices but you need to get the wound healed as a priority. By the way -do you know your BRAF status ? This would give more treatment options if you were to progress- crossing my fingers not of course.

Have an internet hug….sending healing wishes too..

Deb

lmccann2016
            Participant
              Thanks Deb x
              Boise Steve
              Participant

Hello Lisa,

I am not sure, but may be one of the few on this site that is enrolled in the Polynoma (seviprotimut-L) Vaccine trial. 

I was diagnosed in September 2014, stage 3a with only my sentinal positive for Melanoma.  At the time my options were to begin Interferon or "watch and wait".  My oncologist in Boise recommended this particular trial as it was new and entering a phase 3b stage.  Note, I understood that "vaccine's" were not in vogue and this was truly a leap of faith, but my staging of "3x" offered very little in the form of trials or new treatment.

The trial is a 50/50 vs Placebo and my opinion was that anything was better than a Interferon strategy and I really wanted to take some form of action.  

Fast forward to today, I have encounterred very little side effects outside of some injection swelling and my stomach lymph nodes were enlarged initially (hint that I may have actually received the active drug/vaccine as it will cause this response).

I want to be very careful to not portray my situation as anything more than another data point as I have very little exposure to the trial outside of my location.  However, by definition a phase 3b trial suggests some historical postive data as the costs are generally prohibitive to continue down a path without some level of assurance. Additionally, I know that the trial has been granted an accelerated status with the FDA and that new participants are on hold awaiting some data compilation from the other study sites – not trying to infer anything in my last statement, but my site has witnessed some positive results.  

I am very pleased with my decision as I am now at 2 years with clean scans.  My last injection for the study is scheduled for January 2017 and at that time my active trial will come to a close.  I will have continuing scans every 6 months and am happy to keep you updated as the process continues.

lmccann2016
                Participant
                  Wishing you all the best and thank u for your insight.
                  lmccann2016
                  Participant
                    lmccann2016
                    Participant
                      Boise Steve
                      Participant

Hello Lisa,

I am not sure, but may be one of the few on this site that is enrolled in the Polynoma (seviprotimut-L) Vaccine trial. 

I was diagnosed in September 2014, stage 3a with only my sentinal positive for Melanoma.  At the time my options were to begin Interferon or "watch and wait".  My oncologist in Boise recommended this particular trial as it was new and entering a phase 3b stage.  Note, I understood that "vaccine's" were not in vogue and this was truly a leap of faith, but my staging of "3x" offered very little in the form of trials or new treatment.

The trial is a 50/50 vs Placebo and my opinion was that anything was better than a Interferon strategy and I really wanted to take some form of action.  

Fast forward to today, I have encounterred very little side effects outside of some injection swelling and my stomach lymph nodes were enlarged initially (hint that I may have actually received the active drug/vaccine as it will cause this response).

I want to be very careful to not portray my situation as anything more than another data point as I have very little exposure to the trial outside of my location.  However, by definition a phase 3b trial suggests some historical postive data as the costs are generally prohibitive to continue down a path without some level of assurance. Additionally, I know that the trial has been granted an accelerated status with the FDA and that new participants are on hold awaiting some data compilation from the other study sites – not trying to infer anything in my last statement, but my site has witnessed some positive results.  

I am very pleased with my decision as I am now at 2 years with clean scans.  My last injection for the study is scheduled for January 2017 and at that time my active trial will come to a close.  I will have continuing scans every 6 months and am happy to keep you updated as the process continues.

Boise Steve
                        Participant

Hello Lisa,

lmccann2016
                          Participant
                            Thanks Deb x
                            lmccann2016
                            Participant
                              Thanks Deb x
                            debwray
                            Participant

Hi Lisa,

The hard lumps on your neck could be a seroma / collection of lymph in the tissues following the removal of so many nodes.

I think you are in Canada like SOLE.  Have they given you the full trial details ?

I know I keep banging on about it .. but the only stage 3 trial I can find in Canada ( Clinicaltrials.gov ) reads investigators/ patients choice ie ipi or interferon v pembrolizumab. But it may be restricted to the choices approved in Canada.

The infection will need to be healed before radiation commences. Does the radiation team know the constraints you are working with and can they do anything to help the time constraints ?

If they have recommended radiation I'm sure it is because your team think the benefits out weigh the downsides.

I would raise your concerns with the oncologist and explain you are considering skipping radiation if you can get to the PD1 drug for systemic treatment – and ask for a copy of the trial protocol.

These are hard choices but you need to get the wound healed as a priority. By the way -do you know your BRAF status ? This would give more treatment options if you were to progress- crossing my fingers not of course.

Deb

debwray
                              Participant

Hi Lisa,

Deb

Viewing 2 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics