The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

advice on interferon

Forums General Melanoma Community advice on interferon

Participant

I was recently diagnosed with a t4 tumour on my chest. My pet scan was clear and my sentinel lymph node biopsy was clear, which puts me at stage 2b.

I went to see an oncologist today who recommended going on interferon for a year because the melanoma was on my chest. My surgeon isn't so sure it is necessary so I have to make the decision!

Everything I read on this makes me more confused, I was wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation and can offer some advice.

I have two young children and live abroad so I'm not sure I will have the support I need to get through such a tough year. Would appreciate any advice!

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

As far as I know, interferon is not used as treatment for stage 2 – at least in the states it is more often given for stage 3.   It is a rough treatment for some people and others sail through.  Research suggests it is not very effect so do your reading and use the search function on this board to get a more opinions.

Good luck!

Fen
          Participant

As far as I know, interferon is not used as treatment for stage 2 – at least in the states it is more often given for stage 3.   It is a rough treatment for some people and others sail through.  Research suggests it is not very effect so do your reading and use the search function on this board to get a more opinions.

Good luck!

Cooper
              Participant

Interferon does not extend your overall survival, not worth a year of misery.  Look for the article that was posted here about making the decision.  It is an old drug with few uses these days.

Cooper
                Participant

There's a lot over on melanomaforum.org about this too.

Cooper
                  Participant

Cooper
                    Participant

Janner
                      Participant

Helping Melanoma Patients Decide Whether to Choose Adjuvant High-Dose Interferon-α2b

http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.org/content/10/9/739.full

Janner
                        Participant

Helping Melanoma Patients Decide Whether to Choose Adjuvant High-Dose Interferon-α2b

Janner
                          Participant

Cooper
                            Participant

Interferon does not extend your overall survival, not worth a year of misery.  Look for the article that was posted here about making the decision.  It is an old drug with few uses these days.

Cooper
                              Participant

Fen
                              Participant

Good luck!

brittanyx
                                Participant
                                  You can’t base the negativity people have about this drug on what you want to do. If you feel this treatment is what you want to do, go for it. I’ve talked to people that are and have been NED for awhile now and they did interferon. Every body is different. It doesn’t work for some people, and it does for others. Sending positive thoughts!
                                  brittanyx
                                  Participant
                                    You can’t base the negativity people have about this drug on what you want to do. If you feel this treatment is what you want to do, go for it. I’ve talked to people that are and have been NED for awhile now and they did interferon. Every body is different. It doesn’t work for some people, and it does for others. Sending positive thoughts!
                                    brittanyx
                                    Participant
                                      scots
                                      Participant

I was in a similar situation. My surgeon and oncologist disagreed with interferon.  I went with the advice of my oncologist  and completed the high and low dose interferon treatment. 4 years NED in October. I have to say it was not easy by no means and I had the help ans support of my wife and family. I did work the entire year. If I was not working, I sleeping.  Everyone has a different story.

good luck

scot

scots
                                        Participant

I was in a similar situation. My surgeon and oncologist disagreed with interferon.  I went with the advice of my oncologist  and completed the high and low dose interferon treatment. 4 years NED in October. I have to say it was not easy by no means and I had the help ans support of my wife and family. I did work the entire year. If I was not working, I sleeping.  Everyone has a different story.

good luck

scot

scots
                                          Participant

good luck

scot

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics