The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Advice on headache side effect?

Forums General Melanoma Community Advice on headache side effect?

Participant

Hey Warriors!

My husband, John, is in a UCLA clinical trial involving SD-101/Dynavax injections in combination with Keytruda infusions. The SD-101 always triggers a headache. And especially following double treatments, his headache is sustained for several days and quite severe in the first 48 hours. He also has fever and chills, as is typical.

He has alternated Tylenol and Advil for headaches and used Oxycodone during the most painful period. None seem to help enough. I would appreciate any suggestions that have worked for you or your loved ones with regard to treating the severe headaches.

BTW, the tumor on his deltoid that is being injected with SD-101 has shrunk dramatically. But we won't know about how the combo is affecting his other tumor on an adrenal gland until after his 90-day scans in December. Here's hoping …

Keep up the fight!

Best,

Carol

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

So sorry your husband is dealing with bad headaches as a side effect. I get migraines now and then and Excedrin migraine helps if I catch it before it gets too bad. Tylenol, Aleve, Advil, none of those help me at all. Oxy gives me a horrible headache when I've taken it, which is a common side effect of opioids. So, if he hasn't tried Excedrin migraine I would give that a try. Otherwise I would ask his oncologist for a prescription medication specifically for migraines.. even if his headaches aren't at full migraine level, it's a little better than going straight to the heavy pain killers which can make headaches worse, not better, those are not typicallly prescribed for headache pain, they are better for body pain. 

Best,

CancerSpouse
            Participant

Jenn, thank you so much. Sound advice. ~ Carol

CancerSpouse
              Participant

Jenn, thank you so much. Sound advice. ~ Carol

doragsda
                Participant

Post-craniectomy for removal of a brain met, my wife received Fioricet.   Worked well in that situation and it is specifically for headache.

CancerSpouse
                  Participant

Thank you! I will look into Fioricet, too.

TexMelanomex
                  Participant

Hi Carol,

Sorry that the headaches have persisted. I agree with Jenn, a migraine or a headache-specific med might be just what he needs to get some relief, definitely worth asking the question. Not sure if Imitrex is indicated with everything else going with (trial wise) but I have had several people tell me it helps quite a bit, not sure about the others. Hope he's feeling better soon!

CancerSpouse
                      Participant

Hi Tex, thanks for the advicce on Imitrex. Will look into that drug, too. I hope you are doing okay. ~ Carol

Viewing 1 reply thread
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics