The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Advice on 3b/3c treatment

Forums General Melanoma Community Advice on 3b/3c treatment

Participant

My husband Was recently diagnosed with a 3b or 3c.. Unknown primary, Nodular melanoma. WLE in December with SNLB-  Lymph node clear.  Had a met occur on the edge of the scar in April and biopsied. Which actually ended up removing the met. Margins clear on biopsy. We are BRAF positive.  Where are consulting a second opinion at MD Anderson. Thoughts on PD-1? Yervoy, etc?
      Also, his Sentinel node was on the opposite side from his Nodular tumor which several doctors find unusual.. Anyone had this occur?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Wolverine
        Participant

I was diagnosed July '12 Stage IIIC.  I had surgery to remove lymph nodes under right arm.  I signed up for clinical trial but was selected to do the Interferon arm of the trial versus IPI or maybe Yervoy.  The only treatment for Sage IIIC is Interferon that I am aware of.  I did the Interferon for 6 months and said enough.  So far, I am NED.

Wolverine
          Participant

I was diagnosed July '12 Stage IIIC.  I had surgery to remove lymph nodes under right arm.  I signed up for clinical trial but was selected to do the Interferon arm of the trial versus IPI or maybe Yervoy.  The only treatment for Sage IIIC is Interferon that I am aware of.  I did the Interferon for 6 months and said enough.  So far, I am NED.

Wolverine
            Participant

OzzieK
              Participant

Hi Jme, I actually already partially replied to your question on my original string from yesterday. I'm certainly no expert compared to others on this board, but am a bit confused by you saying that he had a nodular melanoma, but no primary. I would think that the nodular melanoma is the primary. In any case, good news on the clear nodes. My understanding about the sentinel node is that, depending on where the original growth is, the primary lymph channel may actually be on the opposite side of the body. Some of the experts may be able to chime in with more info! As far as treatment, if he is currently NED he may not be eligible for any systemic treatment at this point and at this stage, except in the course of a clinical trial. Again, others may know more about that.

OzzieK
                Participant

Hi Jme, I actually already partially replied to your question on my original string from yesterday. I'm certainly no expert compared to others on this board, but am a bit confused by you saying that he had a nodular melanoma, but no primary. I would think that the nodular melanoma is the primary. In any case, good news on the clear nodes. My understanding about the sentinel node is that, depending on where the original growth is, the primary lymph channel may actually be on the opposite side of the body. Some of the experts may be able to chime in with more info! As far as treatment, if he is currently NED he may not be eligible for any systemic treatment at this point and at this stage, except in the course of a clinical trial. Again, others may know more about that.

OzzieK
                  Participant

Jme
                      Participant

Our doctors are "assuming" and cannot confirm that my husbands primary spot was attacked by his own immune system. His Nodular melanoma (December) was very deep. In the dermis and according to oncologist wouldn't start there.  Then with another spot showing up above the WLE scar. It was also deemed as metastatic. We have been classified at MD Anderson as a 3b or 3c.. We have been given the choice of interferon/vs ipi trial and the combi Ad since we are BRAF positive. However, onco at MDA is not in favor of combi trial due to its ability for resistance.  Do you know if we would qualify for MK 3475-EAP.

Jme
                        Participant

Our doctors are "assuming" and cannot confirm that my husbands primary spot was attacked by his own immune system. His Nodular melanoma (December) was very deep. In the dermis and according to oncologist wouldn't start there.  Then with another spot showing up above the WLE scar. It was also deemed as metastatic. We have been classified at MD Anderson as a 3b or 3c.. We have been given the choice of interferon/vs ipi trial and the combi Ad since we are BRAF positive. However, onco at MDA is not in favor of combi trial due to its ability for resistance.  Do you know if we would qualify for MK 3475-EAP.

Jme
                          Participant

Jme
                            Participant

Jme
                              Participant

Jme
                                Participant

Jme
                                  Participant

Jme
                                    Participant

Jme
                                      Participant

OzzieK
                                        Participant

The EAP is only available at certain clinics (MD Anderson may be one of them) BUT my understanding is that you have to have measurable disease (ie mets and not NED), you don't qualify for trials, and you've already tried other systemic treatments first (I'm guessing the last 2 criteria will change once it becomes FDA approved). My dad is currently stage IIIC and because he has a met growing on his scar, his doc was able to start him on ipi. If that doesnt work, THEN he'll be able to take MK-3475 EAP. Other than that, he isn't eligible for trials because of another underlying condition.

OzzieK
                                          Participant

The EAP is only available at certain clinics (MD Anderson may be one of them) BUT my understanding is that you have to have measurable disease (ie mets and not NED), you don't qualify for trials, and you've already tried other systemic treatments first (I'm guessing the last 2 criteria will change once it becomes FDA approved). My dad is currently stage IIIC and because he has a met growing on his scar, his doc was able to start him on ipi. If that doesnt work, THEN he'll be able to take MK-3475 EAP. Other than that, he isn't eligible for trials because of another underlying condition.

Jme
                                            Participant

Did your dad start on ipi through a trial or direct through a physician?

Jme
                                              Participant

Jme
                                                Participant

OzzieK
                                                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics