The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Advice on 1a

Forums General Melanoma Community Advice on 1a

Participant

I was just diagnosed last Thursday and then seen my oncologist today. He diagnosed me at stage 1a. I asked multiple times about scans or lymph node biopsy and he told me none of the was needed: they would just do a wle and then he will see me in six months for a skin check. Is this normal procedure? I just don't want something missed and then later on find out it could have been caught early although with melanoma I know it's hard. Also my question for the more experienced. How do you love your lives normally and without worrying every little thing is melanoma spreading in your body? I have severe anxiety and I can't seem to quit thinking the worst. I have seen so many stories of stage 0 and 1 turning to stage three six months later. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

First, recommendations for treatment are standard.  No scans, no SNB.  Just the WLE getting margins.  Totally normal.

You read about people who progress because the people who don't progress don't post. Sites like this are full of the exceptions and newly diagnosed.  They are not full of people who never deal with melanoma again.  Since 96%+ percent of stage 1a never have a recurrence, why should they stick around and post years out?  Your risk of anothe primary melanoma is about 10% – higher than your risk of recurrence.  So watch your moles for change and the ugly duckling!

The question you need to ask yourself if you have ANY symptoms is this:  "Would I have called my doctor or run to them PRIOR to having melanoma?"  Because that is truly the question.  If you have a cough, would you have run to your doc?  No.  Maybe if it didn't go away, you would see your doc after a period of time.  Same after melanoma.  With stage 1a, anything you encounter is most likely NOT related to melanoma.  Tough to get your head around it but that is the reality.  Early stages have all the worry of cancer, but not the bad prognosis.

Janner
          Participant

First, recommendations for treatment are standard.  No scans, no SNB.  Just the WLE getting margins.  Totally normal.

You read about people who progress because the people who don't progress don't post. Sites like this are full of the exceptions and newly diagnosed.  They are not full of people who never deal with melanoma again.  Since 96%+ percent of stage 1a never have a recurrence, why should they stick around and post years out?  Your risk of anothe primary melanoma is about 10% – higher than your risk of recurrence.  So watch your moles for change and the ugly duckling!

The question you need to ask yourself if you have ANY symptoms is this:  "Would I have called my doctor or run to them PRIOR to having melanoma?"  Because that is truly the question.  If you have a cough, would you have run to your doc?  No.  Maybe if it didn't go away, you would see your doc after a period of time.  Same after melanoma.  With stage 1a, anything you encounter is most likely NOT related to melanoma.  Tough to get your head around it but that is the reality.  Early stages have all the worry of cancer, but not the bad prognosis.

Janner
            Participant

caretothepeople
              Participant

Getting the diagnosis can trigger a roller coaster of different emotions. It sounds like you're being proactive about the situation and doing what you can to think ahead.

It might be helpful to check out The MRF's newly diagnosed guide. It has lots of info about staging, questions to ask about treatment, etc: https://www.melanoma.org/sites/default/files/u13882/JustDiagnosed…NowWhat.pdf

caretothepeople
                Participant

Getting the diagnosis can trigger a roller coaster of different emotions. It sounds like you're being proactive about the situation and doing what you can to think ahead.

It might be helpful to check out The MRF's newly diagnosed guide. It has lots of info about staging, questions to ask about treatment, etc: https://www.melanoma.org/sites/default/files/u13882/JustDiagnosed…NowWhat.pdf

caretothepeople
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics