The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Advice Needed, Surgery First?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Advice Needed, Surgery First?

Participant

Hi, 

My dad had a few moles on his back biopsied.  One came back as an aggressive melanoma, about 3mm, ulcerated. He was referred to surgical oncology. He is having a WLE and a lymph node biopsy in a few days. We saw his medical oncologist and he is suggesting   postponing the surgery and having a PET scan and MRI. With insurance who knows when he will get the approval for the scans.  We want to go through with surgery first.
      My question is,  what were you initial steps? Surgery first and then scans?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies

I had scans first but everyone's journey is different.  Perhaps it is worth asking what they feel the benefits of scans first would be.  I find open dialog with the doctors and nurses has really helped me.

Patrisa
        Participant

Hi anon,

scan first would be good for knowing immediately if the cancer has spread ( hopefully not!), in that case they would probably not do the biopsy and would go straight to immuno… having a positive biopsy would also require pet or mri, so in both cases you would wait… so don't know really what would be the best advice, i am maybe leaning towards pet first…but lets wait for some more credible replies from our amazing peeps here…

Patrisa

jennunicorn
          Participant

I had surgery first and then scans couple weeks after surgery.

sgreenberg
            Participant

Seven years ago, my wife had a PET first, then surgery despite the lack of findings. The lymph nodes removed were clean. A year ago, after six years of no disease, brain mets appeared. The thing is – and your onco can confirm this – melanoma micrometastasis are simply not detectable, and surgery provides no guarantee. If we had understood this, as well as the long term health implications of lymphadenectomy (removal of lymph nodes), I'm not sure we would have chosen surgery, especially not there had been targeted and immunotherapy. I'd say you need to first find an onco you trust, and then cross-examine him or her about the actually necessity of surgery. Good luck

Jamie1960
                Participant

How were brain mets detected after such a long interval ? Were periodic scans incorporated into your wife's follow up protocol ? Thank you

MichelleRHG
                Participant
                  When my primary biopsy was dx as melanoma, I had the WLE and sentinel node biopsy, which was negative. No scans.
                  8 years later when it recurred in a lymph node (confirmed by needle biopsy) I had a PET before the CLNB. Surgeon wanted to see if it was anywhere else before he performed surgery.
                  miaka618
                  Participant
                    I think it would be better to have the scans before the surgery. If you wait until after, the area under and around the surgical site will light up and mask any possible tumors in the area. I ended up having my scans after because there was an issue with scheduling.
                Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics