The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Advice needed for upcoming appointment

Forums General Melanoma Community Advice needed for upcoming appointment

Participant
      Hello everyone!

Almost one year I posted for the first time seeking advice about a severely dysplastic nevus removal. I was supposed to go back for regular check ups every 3 months, but have not been back to the derm since the removal 1 year ago due to losing health insurance and COVID. I have to now switch Derms and I am very nervous about it. The derm I initially went to was pretty good and was definitely the “go to” in my area. The place I will be going to now is more of a clinic and I haven’t heard great things. The reason I’m nervous is because I now have pigment regrowth in a different spot (that was only moderately dysplastic), and I have a spot on my arm that has changed significantly over the last few months. I thought it was an ingrown hair, but it’s still there. It’s 2 different shades of pink, slightly raised and has been growing. My question for everyone is how do I advocate for myself? I’m usually a push over and if the doc won’t biopsy then I’d probably just go with it. I hear some scary stories and I don’t know if I’m being too worried for nothing? If the doctor says it’s fine should I just say okay and trust her or should I push for biopsy? Thanks for reading!!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        tkoss
        Participant
          if you lost health insurance or moved states you qualify for special enrollment under obamacare. IOW you can get HI in matter of days.

if you make less than around $17,000 then in many states you may quality for expanded medicaid.

if you make more than that you can get subsidized HI on ACA exchange.

Treadlightly
          Participant
            In my experience, dermotologists are usually rather receptive to the requests of their patients. If you say you absolutely want it biopsied, they usually will go along with it…as long as it is not a frivolous issue, which this does not sound to be.

Best of luck!
            Mark

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics