The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Advice Needed: Acidic Stomach after Pembro

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community Advice Needed: Acidic Stomach after Pembro

Participant

Hi Everyone!

I'm hoping someone out there may be able to help… My dad has stage IV ocular melanoma and had his first infusion of Pembro on Wednesday. Thursday resulted in an overnight visit at the hospital due to bad chest pain. He didn't have any indications of a heart attack so who knows maybe this was a side effect?

Today's struggle has been a very "acidic" feeling stomach in his words. Eating is always a big challenge for him but he's managed to get down an ensure and eggs. Any suggestions from those that have faced similar challenges? We've been trying some over the counter meds and not much seems to be helping.

Thank you!

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jubes
        Participant

Hi lauren

i did two ipi infusions then 9 months of Pembro. After my first Pembro infusion my husband and I went on vacation ( which we do very often now and loving it) I had diarrhoea the next morning. I was very concerned and texted my doc. He said very unlikely that the Pembro would kick in that fast. That makes sense to me. The Pembro gets your immune system working to recognise the cancer then fights it. That means it's kind of the opposite of chemo as far as side effects go. With chemo you are really sick till your body starts to recover then you zap it some more. With Pembro it seems to build up in your body over time. Some people have had the worst side effects long after they stopped taking it. That is the case with me. However I have a friend who says he always feels tired on the day after the infusion, which never happened to me. So tell you doctor everything in a timely manner and they will know whether to try to treat the symptom or if the syptom is bad enough to suspend treatment or give the antidote. Obviously I am no expert that's just my experience. I really hope it works as well for your dad as well as it has for me so far. I could not be happier. Even with quite bad side effects. 

Anne-Louise 

Jubes
          Participant

Hi lauren

i did two ipi infusions then 9 months of Pembro. After my first Pembro infusion my husband and I went on vacation ( which we do very often now and loving it) I had diarrhoea the next morning. I was very concerned and texted my doc. He said very unlikely that the Pembro would kick in that fast. That makes sense to me. The Pembro gets your immune system working to recognise the cancer then fights it. That means it's kind of the opposite of chemo as far as side effects go. With chemo you are really sick till your body starts to recover then you zap it some more. With Pembro it seems to build up in your body over time. Some people have had the worst side effects long after they stopped taking it. That is the case with me. However I have a friend who says he always feels tired on the day after the infusion, which never happened to me. So tell you doctor everything in a timely manner and they will know whether to try to treat the symptom or if the syptom is bad enough to suspend treatment or give the antidote. Obviously I am no expert that's just my experience. I really hope it works as well for your dad as well as it has for me so far. I could not be happier. Even with quite bad side effects. 

Anne-Louise 

Jubes
            Participant

Hi lauren

Anne-Louise 

JuTMSY4
              Participant

I believe that acid reflux is a known side effect of pembro.  I have experienced it in a very light way.  Chest pains are similarly reported as a side effect and could be related to acid reflux.  

1) definitely report to your doc.  It's probably side effects, but it could be something more serious and/or a side efffect that could be dangerous if left unchecked.  

2) If it is acid reflux related side effects, you may consider traditional fixes – changes in diet, antacids and/or daily pills that regulate acid.  Again, consult your doc first.  I can tell you your husband isn't the first to report this and there are likely ideas out there on how to stop/handle.  

Squash
                  Participant

I had simialar issues when i first had keytruda. Second night chest  pains and reflux.

I managed it with some tagamet, slippery elm powder and yogurt.

It settled down after a couple of days and then i had some gastric issues with wind etc.

I wouldnt be overlly concerned it will probably pass as you get used to it.

Squash
                    Participant

I had simialar issues when i first had keytruda. Second night chest  pains and reflux.

It settled down after a couple of days and then i had some gastric issues with wind etc.

Squash
                      Participant

JuTMSY4
                      Participant

I believe that acid reflux is a known side effect of pembro.  I have experienced it in a very light way.  Chest pains are similarly reported as a side effect and could be related to acid reflux.  

1) definitely report to your doc.  It's probably side effects, but it could be something more serious and/or a side efffect that could be dangerous if left unchecked.  

2) If it is acid reflux related side effects, you may consider traditional fixes – changes in diet, antacids and/or daily pills that regulate acid.  Again, consult your doc first.  I can tell you your husband isn't the first to report this and there are likely ideas out there on how to stop/handle.  

JuTMSY4
                        Participant

Lil0909
                          Participant
                            Probiotics helped me more than any rx acid reflux pill, I highly recomend.
                            Lil0909
                            Participant
                              Lil0909
                              Participant
                            Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics