The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Advice for Sentinel Lymph node Biopsy

Forums General Melanoma Community Advice for Sentinel Lymph node Biopsy

Participant

Hello Everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with stage 1a melanoma. My pathology report is 0.34mm in depth with no ulceration, mitotic rate of 0, some regression present and no other warning signs. My doctors are saying that a lymph node biopsy is  unnecessary but I wanted to hear your guys thoughts? Should I get it done? I already had the Wide Local excision done so is it to late at this point, what are your guys thoughts? Thank you for responding I really appreciate it.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

With a very low risk lesion like that it is not neccessary and would likely not be covered by insurance either. Plus you had your WLE, so you can't go back and do an SLNB after, it would have to be done before the WLE. 

I know it's scary having had this diagnosis, but you've got really high chance of never dealing with it again. Try not to read much on this site, as it only causes unneccessary anxiety for low stage folks like yourself.

All the best,

Treadlightly
            Participant

I concur with Jenn…it is too late to do a SLNB. The reason the "standard of care" does not recommend doing the SLNB for these very early stage melanoma lesions is that they have not reached the depth of tissue where the lymph system exists, so it would be pointless to be looking for something that simply cannot be there.

Relax and appreciate that you found this issue very early and are completely cured at this point.

Best regards,
              Mark 2A

Treadlightly
              Participant

I concur with Jenn…it is too late to do a SLNB. The reason the "standard of care" does not recommend doing the SLNB for these very early stage melanoma lesions is that they have not reached the depth of tissue where the lymph system exists, so it would be pointless to be looking for something that simply cannot be there.

Relax and appreciate that you found this issue very early and are completely cured at this point.

Best regards,
                Mark 2A

Treadlightly
                Participant

Best regards,
                  Mark 2A

jennunicorn
                Participant

With a very low risk lesion like that it is not neccessary and would likely not be covered by insurance either. Plus you had your WLE, so you can't go back and do an SLNB after, it would have to be done before the WLE. 

I know it's scary having had this diagnosis, but you've got really high chance of never dealing with it again. Try not to read much on this site, as it only causes unneccessary anxiety for low stage folks like yourself.

All the best,

jennunicorn
                  Participant

All the best,

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics