The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Adoptive Cell Transfer Therapy Anyone?

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Adoptive Cell Transfer Therapy Anyone?

Participant

As a next step, I am considering adoptive cell transfer therapy.  I'm interested in connecting with people who have gone through this procedure (successfully or unsuccessfully), or might also be considering it.

As a next step, I am considering adoptive cell transfer therapy.  I'm interested in connecting with people who have gone through this procedure (successfully or unsuccessfully), or might also be considering it.

As I understand it, this procedure has been done over several years at the National Cancer Institute.  A similar procedure is also available at a cancer hospital in Seattle.  Recently, it became available at MD Anderson and Moffet (sp?).  Because of my HLAA typing and the fact that I have mucosal melanoma, I can go to MD Anderson or Moffet.  I think I will go to MD Anderson.  Nothing against Moffet; it's just that I already contacted MD Anderson before I learned that Moffet just started offering it as well.

I hope to hear from you!

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        LynnLuc
        Participant

I was planning on going through with the trial  "Phase I/II Pilot Study of Cellular Adoptive Immunotherapy With Autologous CD8+ Antigen-Specific T-Cell Clones in Combination With Low-Dose Aldesleukin and Denileukin Diftitox in Patients With Metastatic Melanoma  at Fred Hutchinson" in Seattle and traveled up in Feb and had my T cells taken to be grown over 4 months…but as soon as I returned I found out the Temodar stopping working and went to Mayo Clinic and had a 6.8 cent melanoma removed in March. I was made NED ( still am actually)…but it took me out of the trial since I needed measurable disease…

I have since started a trial at Moffitt with Dr Jeffrey Weber since I am NED. It's called "Phase I Study of Anti-PD-1 Human Monoclonal Antibody MDX-1106 and Vaccine Therapy Comprising gp100:209-217(210M) Peptide, MART-1:26-35(27L) Peptide, gp100:280-288(288V) Peptide, NY-ESO-1 Peptide, and Montanide ISA 51 VG in Patients With Resected Stage IV Melanoma".

Fred Hutchinson has frozen my T cells down and state that if I ever need them that they will have them ready for me!

Moffitt also has the same trial I am doing for those who are not NED. Moffitt is an awesome place and unlike my previous oncologists I am given hope!

stillhopeful
            Participant

Congratulations on NED!  Also, I've heard very good things about Anti PD-1.  I'm on the ipi trial, so I'm excluded from PD-1 studies.  I wish I had understood that before I tried ipi, or I would have tried Anti PD-1 first.

Adoptive cell transfer therapy seems to have its detractors, with some people believing that the numbers are inflated.  Have you heard anything like that?

LynnLuc
              Participant

Yes I have. When I went to Seattle I was told complete responses were far and few between…They also told me that -IL2 (used in many of the adoptive trials) usually cause a lot of other complications..

About IL-2 which I thought I wanted to do in the beginning…I went to a Melanoma Symposium last week and spoke with many people who went thru it and their melanoma returned not too long afterwards…as harsh as the treatment is I personally don't  think it offers enough for me…

We burn alot of bridges when we do a trial…throwing us in exclusion…the trial I am in takes me out of most as well…this is also the only trial currently for NED.

What gets me is that they work hard to get regression and NED…and then all they seem to offer after they get you there is perhaps radiation and Leukine injections 14 days on and 14 days off forever!

I was told at the NIH soon after my surgery to come back in a couple months when it returns….

I did find a trial last night while I was "researching" for a friend…a trial that uses (IPI) MDX 010 and MDX 1106 ( anti-PD 1)..to me that seems like a match in heaven…but of course it excludes people without measurable disease and people who had previous use of either one…My friend has  Rheumatoid Arthritis and is excluded from most trials…she is also stage 4.

stillhopeful
                Participant

What kind of response did Seattle suggest is typical?

Of course, I hope you remain NED!  

LynnLuc
                  Participant

They didn't! They said it was rare to get a complete response though. I am still hopeful that when and if the time comes they are more advanced in their studies!

LynnLuc
                    Participant

They didn't! They said it was rare to get a complete response though. I am still hopeful that when and if the time comes they are more advanced in their studies!

stillhopeful
                      Participant

What kind of response did Seattle suggest is typical?

Of course, I hope you remain NED!  

LynnLuc
                        Participant

Yes I have. When I went to Seattle I was told complete responses were far and few between…They also told me that -IL2 (used in many of the adoptive trials) usually cause a lot of other complications..

About IL-2 which I thought I wanted to do in the beginning…I went to a Melanoma Symposium last week and spoke with many people who went thru it and their melanoma returned not too long afterwards…as harsh as the treatment is I personally don't  think it offers enough for me…

We burn alot of bridges when we do a trial…throwing us in exclusion…the trial I am in takes me out of most as well…this is also the only trial currently for NED.

What gets me is that they work hard to get regression and NED…and then all they seem to offer after they get you there is perhaps radiation and Leukine injections 14 days on and 14 days off forever!

I was told at the NIH soon after my surgery to come back in a couple months when it returns….

I did find a trial last night while I was "researching" for a friend…a trial that uses (IPI) MDX 010 and MDX 1106 ( anti-PD 1)..to me that seems like a match in heaven…but of course it excludes people without measurable disease and people who had previous use of either one…My friend has  Rheumatoid Arthritis and is excluded from most trials…she is also stage 4.

stillhopeful
                          Participant

Congratulations on NED!  Also, I've heard very good things about Anti PD-1.  I'm on the ipi trial, so I'm excluded from PD-1 studies.  I wish I had understood that before I tried ipi, or I would have tried Anti PD-1 first.

Adoptive cell transfer therapy seems to have its detractors, with some people believing that the numbers are inflated.  Have you heard anything like that?

LynnLuc
                          Participant

I was planning on going through with the trial  "Phase I/II Pilot Study of Cellular Adoptive Immunotherapy With Autologous CD8+ Antigen-Specific T-Cell Clones in Combination With Low-Dose Aldesleukin and Denileukin Diftitox in Patients With Metastatic Melanoma  at Fred Hutchinson" in Seattle and traveled up in Feb and had my T cells taken to be grown over 4 months…but as soon as I returned I found out the Temodar stopping working and went to Mayo Clinic and had a 6.8 cent melanoma removed in March. I was made NED ( still am actually)…but it took me out of the trial since I needed measurable disease…

I have since started a trial at Moffitt with Dr Jeffrey Weber since I am NED. It's called "Phase I Study of Anti-PD-1 Human Monoclonal Antibody MDX-1106 and Vaccine Therapy Comprising gp100:209-217(210M) Peptide, MART-1:26-35(27L) Peptide, gp100:280-288(288V) Peptide, NY-ESO-1 Peptide, and Montanide ISA 51 VG in Patients With Resected Stage IV Melanoma".

Fred Hutchinson has frozen my T cells down and state that if I ever need them that they will have them ready for me!

Moffitt also has the same trial I am doing for those who are not NED. Moffitt is an awesome place and unlike my previous oncologists I am given hope!

Viewing 1 reply thread
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics