The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Additional mole pathology

Forums General Melanoma Community Additional mole pathology

Participant

Hi Again,

Hi Again,

Back in April, my husband had a mole removed on his back and one on his abnomen.  We have been on a journey since the results of the mole (melanoma) on his back, and stage i lung cancer.  Today I received a call from his dermatoligist that removed the moles and referred us to Moffitt.  Turns out the other small mole was pre melanoma and has to be removed.  They had sent us to Moffitt for the larger one and didn't know if Moffitt was going to remove the small one.  Called Moffitt and was advised they would not, as it is not Melanoma (yet) and of course my husband has many other things to worry about.  So the Dermatoligist will remove the rest of the mole in a few weeks after my hsubands 2 surgeries.  One for the rest of the lymph nodes, and one for top lobe of his right lung.  Needless to say the call I received was like out of left field for me  Not sure why no one ever mentioned it before.  Have others heard of this?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

I'm not exactly sure what your question is but I'll try to answer.  I have had a couple of thing cut off that the doc called "pre-cancerous"  they were actually atypical moles.  I have not heard of anything called pre-melanoma before.  But terminology aside, I would get a copy of the pathology report and see what he is talking about for myself.  If the recommendation is simply for wider margins, but it appears the the entire suspect more was removed than it can wait.  If it is only an atypical mole it can also wait.  It all depends how your husband is feeling and what the pathology report reads. 

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3a

flvermonter
            Participant
              hi, thanks. just looked at the path report. it says:
              skin right abdomen ..compound melanocytic nevus with architecual disorder SNF moderate cytlogic atypia. note this lesion extends to one peripheral margin. ree vision for clear margins is recommended.

what do u think? thanks Mary

Janner
              Participant

Sounds like a moderately atypical nevi.  Probably never would have become melanoma.  It's not really "pre-cancerous" because that implies it would have become melanoma and that is unlikely.  For these type of lesions, the recommendation is usually to have at least clean margins.   This lesion doesn't have clean margins.  Severely atypical lesions usually require 5mm margins.  This is one of those inconveniences – just get the margins and move on.  With any biopsy scar, however, you should watch for any pigment regrowth and report that to your doc.  Many people who have biopsies have "atypical" or "dysplastic" nevi.  While they carry a higher likelihood of becoming melanoma than a totally benign mole, most of them will never change and become melanoma.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                Participant

Sounds like a moderately atypical nevi.  Probably never would have become melanoma.  It's not really "pre-cancerous" because that implies it would have become melanoma and that is unlikely.  For these type of lesions, the recommendation is usually to have at least clean margins.   This lesion doesn't have clean margins.  Severely atypical lesions usually require 5mm margins.  This is one of those inconveniences – just get the margins and move on.  With any biopsy scar, however, you should watch for any pigment regrowth and report that to your doc.  Many people who have biopsies have "atypical" or "dysplastic" nevi.  While they carry a higher likelihood of becoming melanoma than a totally benign mole, most of them will never change and become melanoma.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

flvermonter
                    Participant
                      skin right abdomen ..compound melanocytic nevus with architecual disorder SNF moderate cytlogic atypia. note this lesion extends to one peripheral margin. ree vision for clear margins is recommended.

flvermonter
                      Participant

washoegal
                      Participant

I'm not exactly sure what your question is but I'll try to answer.  I have had a couple of thing cut off that the doc called "pre-cancerous"  they were actually atypical moles.  I have not heard of anything called pre-melanoma before.  But terminology aside, I would get a copy of the pathology report and see what he is talking about for myself.  If the recommendation is simply for wider margins, but it appears the the entire suspect more was removed than it can wait.  If it is only an atypical mole it can also wait.  It all depends how your husband is feeling and what the pathology report reads. 

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3a

washoegal
                        Participant

Good Luck,

Mary

Stage 3a

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics