The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

ACTION! Help Save the Life of Darcy Doherty, Father of Three Children to get immunotherapy drug Anti-PD-1 (BMS-936558) for mela

Forums General Melanoma Community ACTION! Help Save the Life of Darcy Doherty, Father of Three Children to get immunotherapy drug Anti-PD-1 (BMS-936558) for mela

Participant

ACTION! Help Save the Life of Darcy Doherty, Father of Three Children to get immunotherapy drug Anti-PD-1 (BMS-936558)  for melanoma .

A Cry for HELP!!!

ACTION! Help Save the Life of Darcy Doherty, Father of Three Children to get immunotherapy drug Anti-PD-1 (BMS-936558)  for melanoma .

A Cry for HELP!!!

Please write to Dr. Elliot Sigal at Bristol Myer Squib

[email protected]

Dr. Sigal is the Director of Research at BMS.

Please send a note to Dr. Sigal requesting that BMS open compassionate use for Mr. Doherty. I know it is a long shot/ Hail Mary Pass but, base on my research, this drug with the combination of IL-2 may be able to beat the odds.

Bristol Myer Squib says "At Bristol-Myers Squibb, we are firmly focused on our Mission to discover, develop and deliver innovative medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases."

Is this all lip service? Let see if BMS puts their money where their mouth is and grant this compassionate care use for this derserving family. Doherty with his clinal trial of Yervoy (Anti-CTLA-4 therapy) helped get the drug FDA approved through his survival data. The least Bristol could do is to grant the dying man compassionate use of the next generation drug called Anti-PD-1, (BMS-936558)

Bristol Myer Squib needs to show some compassion.

It is their ETHICAL Responsibility.

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.”

~Charles Darwin~

Take Care,

Jimmy B

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

Will write soon as I finish this post.All of us together could maybe put some real pressure on Bristol Myers-Squibb.He needs our help.Invest a few minutes of your time to give him a shot at more time.Remember It could be you looking for some help.Pray he gets it.  Al

aldakota22
          Participant

Will write soon as I finish this post.All of us together could maybe put some real pressure on Bristol Myers-Squibb.He needs our help.Invest a few minutes of your time to give him a shot at more time.Remember It could be you looking for some help.Pray he gets it.  Al

aldakota22
            Participant

melissa ann
              Participant

Will definitely write to Dr. at BMS today.  There is also an online petition if you go to the video link Jimmy posted.  Have tissues ready, very touching!   Peace to all, Melissa

melissa ann
                Participant

Will definitely write to Dr. at BMS today.  There is also an online petition if you go to the video link Jimmy posted.  Have tissues ready, very touching!   Peace to all, Melissa

melissa ann
                  Participant

yoopergirl
                    Participant

So sad, hard to watch a child crying for his fathers life, I wrote to them also.

yoopergirl
                      Participant

So sad, hard to watch a child crying for his fathers life, I wrote to them also.

yoopergirl
                        Participant

killmel
                          Participant

Does anyone know why BMS will not give him the drug. I would like to make reference in my letter  to "WHY" does he not qualify for the drug. I am assuming the the drug is anti-PD1. Is that correct?

killmel
                            Participant

Does anyone know why BMS will not give him the drug. I would like to make reference in my letter  to "WHY" does he not qualify for the drug. I am assuming the the drug is anti-PD1. Is that correct?

killmel
                              Participant

jim Breitfeller
                                  Participant

I assume he doesn't qualify for the clinical Trials of Anti-PD-1. His last resort would be a compassionate use of the drug. I believe BMS has not setup a compassionate use trial yet for this drug.

jim Breitfeller
                                    Participant

I assume he doesn't qualify for the clinical Trials of Anti-PD-1. His last resort would be a compassionate use of the drug. I believe BMS has not setup a compassionate use trial yet for this drug.

jim Breitfeller
                                      Participant

goldengirls2011
                                      Participant

Done! I hope BMS gets swamped with phone calls & emails.

goldengirls2011
                                        Participant

goldengirls2011
                                          Participant

justlittleoleme
                                            Participant
                                              While I would like to help, I’m too busy trying to save my husbands life. He is also a father of three.
                                                killmel
                                                Participant

Here is Darcy story from facebook.

Apparently he is disqualified from the drug because a brain met was found in his brain in April. You would think that he would have the brain met removed or zapped so that he could get the drug.

There are so many people looking to get into the BMS PD1 trial, I think that BMS is not ready to give the drug for "compassionate" use because many people need the PD1 drug and it is not proven safe yet. The FDA proabably would not let BMS give the drug out for "compassionate" useanyways. If BMS even wanted to give the drug out to "compassionate" use, it would take months for the FDA to approve the drug for compassionate use. This is such a sad story and effects all melanoma patients waiting to get into a PD1 trial not just Darcy.

http://www.facebook.com/HelpSaveDarcyNow/info

My name is Darcy Doherty. I am a 48 and father of Ganden, Reid and Cian. My family and I am are seeking compassionate access to a new cancer treatment in an attempt to extend my life. The experimental drug, BMS-936558, is in Phase 1 clinical trails at research locations in Canada and the U.S.A. In April, I was excluded from one because of new marginal cancer growth in my brain.

“Darcy has led a brave and heroic struggle against this disease for the past five years,” explains my wife, Rebecca Cumming. “And now, the kids and I are devastated that a promising drug is out there and proving successful in patients with Darcy’s diagnosis, yet we can’t get to it.”

Doherty’s oncologist, Dr. David Hogg, Attending Physician at Princess Margaret Hospital and Professor of Medicine at the University of Toronto, believes that his patient can benefit from this new treatment. “Mr. Doherty had a fantastic response to the then-experimental immunotherapy drug, ipilimumab (Yervoy®), in 2007. That drug has given him four years of life, and I believe that he may experience a similar benefit from BMS-936558.”

The manufacturer of Yervoy, Bristol-Myers Squibb whose Canadian head office is in Montréal, also produces this new drug. The company has repeatedly blocked Cumming’s appeals for access over the past weeks explaining that it does not have a compassionate use program.

“I respect the company’s trial criteria,” Cumming states, “but cannot accept that we are not able to get compassionate access to this potentially life-saving drug. We’ve all come so far and worked too hard to be prevented from this new treatment.”

Dr. Michael Giordano, Head of Development, Oncology and Immunosciences at Bristol-Myers Squibb explains his company’s position. “We strive to develop promising drugs as quickly as feasible while remaining mindful of protecting patient safety. [This drug] currently does not have an established benefit/risk profile, given [its] limited experience in humans. We are not in a position to allow [its] use outside of a highly controlled trial.”

For a devastated and discouraged Cumming, “it doesn't add up. Darcy has absolutely nothing to lose.” Given his previous success with immunotherapy when his brain cancer reduced significantly, “We see no risks at this point; without this drug he will die,” she declares.

killmel
                                                  Participant

Apparently he is disqualified from the drug because a brain met was found in his brain in April. You would think that he would have the brain met removed or zapped so that he could get the drug.

There are so many people looking to get into the BMS PD1 trial, I think that BMS is not ready to give the drug for "compassionate" use because many people need the PD1 drug and it is not proven safe yet. The FDA proabably would not let BMS give the drug out for "compassionate" useanyways. If BMS even wanted to give the drug out to "compassionate" use, it would take months for the FDA to approve the drug for compassionate use. This is such a sad story and effects all melanoma patients waiting to get into a PD1 trial not just Darcy.

My name is Darcy Doherty. I am a 48 and father of Ganden, Reid and Cian. My family and I am are seeking compassionate access to a new cancer treatment in an attempt to extend my life. The experimental drug, BMS-936558, is in Phase 1 clinical trails at research locations in Canada and the U.S.A. In April, I was excluded from one because of new marginal cancer growth in my brain.

“Darcy has led a brave and heroic struggle against this disease for the past five years,” explains my wife, Rebecca Cumming. “And now, the kids and I are devastated that a promising drug is out there and proving successful in patients with Darcy’s diagnosis, yet we can’t get to it.”

Doherty’s oncologist, Dr. David Hogg, Attending Physician at Princess Margaret Hospital and Professor of Medicine at the University of Toronto, believes that his patient can benefit from this new treatment. “Mr. Doherty had a fantastic response to the then-experimental immunotherapy drug, ipilimumab (Yervoy®), in 2007. That drug has given him four years of life, and I believe that he may experience a similar benefit from BMS-936558.”

The manufacturer of Yervoy, Bristol-Myers Squibb whose Canadian head office is in Montréal, also produces this new drug. The company has repeatedly blocked Cumming’s appeals for access over the past weeks explaining that it does not have a compassionate use program.

“I respect the company’s trial criteria,” Cumming states, “but cannot accept that we are not able to get compassionate access to this potentially life-saving drug. We’ve all come so far and worked too hard to be prevented from this new treatment.”

Dr. Michael Giordano, Head of Development, Oncology and Immunosciences at Bristol-Myers Squibb explains his company’s position. “We strive to develop promising drugs as quickly as feasible while remaining mindful of protecting patient safety. [This drug] currently does not have an established benefit/risk profile, given [its] limited experience in humans. We are not in a position to allow [its] use outside of a highly controlled trial.”

For a devastated and discouraged Cumming, “it doesn't add up. Darcy has absolutely nothing to lose.” Given his previous success with immunotherapy when his brain cancer reduced significantly, “We see no risks at this point; without this drug he will die,” she declares.

killmel
                                                    Participant

justlittleoleme
                                                    Participant
                                                      While I would like to help, I’m too busy trying to save my husbands life. He is also a father of three.
                                                      justlittleoleme
                                                      Participant
                                                        Rebecca and Bob
                                                        Participant

Jimmy,

You are always so helpful to others. I signed it and feel so bad for this family but also know the feeling walking in their shoes with little ones and a stage IV husband. I hope one day soon we won't have to fear this stupid cancer.

Thanks,

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                                                          Participant

Jimmy,

You are always so helpful to others. I signed it and feel so bad for this family but also know the feeling walking in their shoes with little ones and a stage IV husband. I hope one day soon we won't have to fear this stupid cancer.

Thanks,

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                                                            Participant

Jimmy,

Thanks,

Rebecca

LynnLuc
                                                              Participant

Jimmy, Why can't he get the brain met zapped? If that is the only reason then his doctor should have taken care of it.  Has his doctor also tested him to see if he has PDL1? They have some idea that if you have it, Anti PD 1 will work and if you don't, it probably won't. It would be awful if he is waiting for compassionate use and then find out it wouldn't benefit him…They are checking the melanoma samples of those of us ( about 110 of us) now who are in the Anti pPD1 trial to see who has PDL1. -Lynn

LynnLuc
                                                                Participant

Jimmy, Why can't he get the brain met zapped? If that is the only reason then his doctor should have taken care of it.  Has his doctor also tested him to see if he has PDL1? They have some idea that if you have it, Anti PD 1 will work and if you don't, it probably won't. It would be awful if he is waiting for compassionate use and then find out it wouldn't benefit him…They are checking the melanoma samples of those of us ( about 110 of us) now who are in the Anti pPD1 trial to see who has PDL1. -Lynn

LynnLuc
                                                                  Participant

jim Breitfeller
                                                                      Participant

Lynn,

I don't have Darcey's medical records, so I don't know twhat he has done and what tests were run. I can only hope that his oncologist is on top of everything. He is being treated in Toronto, Canada , not in the US.

jim Breitfeller
                                                                        Participant

Lynn,

I don't have Darcey's medical records, so I don't know twhat he has done and what tests were run. I can only hope that his oncologist is on top of everything. He is being treated in Toronto, Canada , not in the US.

jim Breitfeller
                                                                          Participant

Lynn,

Laurie from maine
                                                                            Participant

Hi,

I have posted also, thank you.   I hope it helps.  melanoma is such a horrible disease .

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                                                              Participant

Hi,

I have posted also, thank you.   I hope it helps.  melanoma is such a horrible disease .

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                                                                Participant

Hi,

laurie from maine

killmel
                                                                                Participant

I think that there are a number of melanoma patients trying to get in PD1 trials. I am sorry that Darcy is having problems but to be fair, I think that his case is no different then others trying to get into the PD1 trials.

I read that her took yervoy/ipi 5 years ago and he was a responder. Why wouldn't Darcy get a re-induction of Yervoy at least to try to save his life or take care of the met in his brain then he would qualify for more trials including pd1.

Just my 2 cents!

killmel
                                                                                  Participant

I think that there are a number of melanoma patients trying to get in PD1 trials. I am sorry that Darcy is having problems but to be fair, I think that his case is no different then others trying to get into the PD1 trials.

I read that her took yervoy/ipi 5 years ago and he was a responder. Why wouldn't Darcy get a re-induction of Yervoy at least to try to save his life or take care of the met in his brain then he would qualify for more trials including pd1.

Just my 2 cents!

killmel
                                                                                    Participant

Just my 2 cents!

o2bcheri
                                                                                        Participant

hi..

I never give up in leading people to investigate Cellect… please check it out.. i have been reading about it.. my daughter is on it and is having amazing results…

there is a facebook page on this as well… it is national cancer research foundation… there are testimonials that are mindblowing… this is a supplement.. and is curing cancer!!!  brain tumors disappearing.. all kinds of things going away. cancerous and non….

if i were in Darcy's position.. the first thing i would do is go to http://www.ncrg.org.. and get on the phone with Fred Eichorn.. who developed it after curing himself of pancreatic cancer… he then went on to get his degree as a transplant dr.. as well as a bio-chemist…

it seems no one believes… but still i put it out there for you… just in case you are one person who will check this out!!!

good luck to Darcy..

xx

o2bcheri
                                                                                          Participant

hi..

I never give up in leading people to investigate Cellect… please check it out.. i have been reading about it.. my daughter is on it and is having amazing results…

there is a facebook page on this as well… it is national cancer research foundation… there are testimonials that are mindblowing… this is a supplement.. and is curing cancer!!!  brain tumors disappearing.. all kinds of things going away. cancerous and non….

if i were in Darcy's position.. the first thing i would do is go to http://www.ncrg.org.. and get on the phone with Fred Eichorn.. who developed it after curing himself of pancreatic cancer… he then went on to get his degree as a transplant dr.. as well as a bio-chemist…

it seems no one believes… but still i put it out there for you… just in case you are one person who will check this out!!!

good luck to Darcy..

xx

o2bcheri
                                                                                            Participant

hi..

good luck to Darcy..

xx

o2bcheri
                                                                                              Participant

hi..

I never give up in leading people to investigate Collect… please check it out.. i have been reading about it.. my daughter is on it and is having amazing results…

there is a Facebook page on this as well… it is national cancer research foundation… there are testimonials that are mindblowing… this is a supplement.. and is curing cancer!!!  brain tumors disappearing.. all kinds of things going away. cancerous and non….

if i were in Darcy's position.. the first thing i would do is go to http://www.ncrf.organd get on the phone with Fred Eichorn.. who developed it after curing himself of pancreatic cancer… he then went on to get his degree as a transplant dr.. as well as a bio-chemist…

good luck to Darcy..

xx

killmel
                                                                                                Participant

so sorry to hear he died….rest in peace darcy!

killmel
                                                                                                  Participant

killmel
                                                                                                    Participant

o2bcheri
                                                                                                      Participant

hi..

I never give up in leading people to investigate Collect… please check it out.. i have been reading about it.. my daughter is on it and is having amazing results…

there is a Facebook page on this as well… it is national cancer research foundation… there are testimonials that are mindblowing… this is a supplement.. and is curing cancer!!!  brain tumors disappearing.. all kinds of things going away. cancerous and non….

if i were in Darcy's position.. the first thing i would do is go to http://www.ncrf.organd get on the phone with Fred Eichorn.. who developed it after curing himself of pancreatic cancer… he then went on to get his degree as a transplant dr.. as well as a bio-chemist…

good luck to Darcy..

xx

o2bcheri
                                                                                                        Participant

hi..

good luck to Darcy..

xx

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics