The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

ACT/ TIL Treatment

Forums General Melanoma Community ACT/ TIL Treatment

Participant

Has anyone recently been through this treatment? I have read several articles/stories about this treatment but they all seem to be 3 to 4 years old so I do not know where they are now. I'm looking at the trial at NIH. I'm looking for some other treatments because ippi/ nivo did not work for me and I'm braf negative. I'm also looking at another trial at Duke and I'm working on a consult at MSKCC for a different opinion. I'm leaning towards the trail and if that treatment dose not work then I will try the the TIL treatment.

thanks 

scot

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        scots
        Participant

Did not mean to post anonymous. This scots 

scots
          Participant

scots
            Participant

AshleyS
              Participant

Hey Scot. I have not had TIL, but I did have a tumor harvested and my cells are waiting in case I ever need them for treatment. If Opdivo ever fails me, TIL is my backup. 

Ashley

jpg
                  Participant

NIH told me that had few trials and that because of new drugs weren't pursuing it much.  It is the best place to get it but the results never proven in a trial against newer drugs.  Good luck

jpg
                    Participant

NIH told me that had few trials and that because of new drugs weren't pursuing it much.  It is the best place to get it but the results never proven in a trial against newer drugs.  Good luck

jpg
                      Participant

scots
                        Participant

What hospital would you be getting the treatment from?  I like the idea of harvesting the tumor to use down the road. Right now I leaning towards a clinical trial as the first option. If the trial dose not produce results then going for the TIL treatment.  Right now my doctor doesn't think I have time to be off treatment the amount of time it takes to get the TIL process started.

thank for your response and I hope the Opdivo continues to work for you.

Scot

scots
                          Participant

What hospital would you be getting the treatment from?  I like the idea of harvesting the tumor to use down the road. Right now I leaning towards a clinical trial as the first option. If the trial dose not produce results then going for the TIL treatment.  Right now my doctor doesn't think I have time to be off treatment the amount of time it takes to get the TIL process started.

Scot

AshleyS
                            Participant

I live in North Dakota and receive my infusions here. Last spring I moved my family to Texas to go to MD Anderson for 3.5 months. I was on the (then trial) ipi/nivo combo. Before I started the trial they harvested the tumor from my right shoulder blade. Part of the reason I chose MDA is because they offer TIL. 

AshleyS
                              Participant

I live in North Dakota and receive my infusions here. Last spring I moved my family to Texas to go to MD Anderson for 3.5 months. I was on the (then trial) ipi/nivo combo. Before I started the trial they harvested the tumor from my right shoulder blade. Part of the reason I chose MDA is because they offer TIL. 

AshleyS
                                Participant

I I should add that I continue to go to TX for scans and my doctor from MDA is in charge of my care. I actually return in Tuesday for scans. 

AshleyS
                                  Participant

I I should add that I continue to go to TX for scans and my doctor from MDA is in charge of my care. I actually return in Tuesday for scans. 

scots
                                    Participant

Ashley,

good luck on your scans. I'm also getting scans on Friday.

scot

scots
                                      Participant

Ashley,

scot

scots
                                        Participant

Ashley,

scot

AshleyS
                                          Participant

AshleyS
                                            Participant

scots
                                              Participant

Scot

scots
                                                Participant

Ashley, I replied to your message down below.

scot

scots
                                                  Participant

scot

scots
                                                    Participant

scot

AshleyS
                                                    Participant

Hey Scot. I have not had TIL, but I did have a tumor harvested and my cells are waiting in case I ever need them for treatment. If Opdivo ever fails me, TIL is my backup. 

Ashley

AshleyS
                                                      Participant

Ashley

G-Samsa
                                                        Participant

I recently completed the Til treatment .  It was highly recommended to me when scans indicated progression after three years of stability with Ipi/Nivo.  I tried Traf/Mek first but it proved difficult to bear.   The Til treatment went well– a couple of tough weeks but then it's over.  The jury is still out on its effectiveness– but after a month there has been no more progression — and even some shrinkage in tumor size– so I'm hopeful.

My doctor told me that the hardest part of Til is getting into the trial..  It seems there are numerous points along the procedure timeline where you can be disqualified from continuing—even close infusion day.  So we had a couple of scares.  It's a lengthy process, and you need to wash out of the current treatment before they harvest a tumor…..so by the time you're actually infused it could be more than three months–which is really creepy when your progressing– Though in my case the progression helped a bit by producing a nice big tumor in a very accessible location…… You gotta look on the bright side.

G-Samsa
                                                          Participant

I recently completed the Til treatment .  It was highly recommended to me when scans indicated progression after three years of stability with Ipi/Nivo.  I tried Traf/Mek first but it proved difficult to bear.   The Til treatment went well– a couple of tough weeks but then it's over.  The jury is still out on its effectiveness– but after a month there has been no more progression — and even some shrinkage in tumor size– so I'm hopeful.

My doctor told me that the hardest part of Til is getting into the trial..  It seems there are numerous points along the procedure timeline where you can be disqualified from continuing—even close infusion day.  So we had a couple of scares.  It's a lengthy process, and you need to wash out of the current treatment before they harvest a tumor…..so by the time you're actually infused it could be more than three months–which is really creepy when your progressing– Though in my case the progression helped a bit by producing a nice big tumor in a very accessible location…… You gotta look on the bright side.

scots
                                                              Participant

Where did you receive your treatment?  My doctor discussed the TIL treatment with me,but she dose not think I have the time to be off treatment for that long while I have a clinical that I could try. I have not washed out of my current treatment yet so that poses a time problem. I have been talking to NIH about starting the approval process TIL. I think TIL maybe my back up plan unless the trial dose not work out. Thanks for your reply and I hope the TIL treatment continues to work for you.

scot

scots
                                                                Participant

Where did you receive your treatment?  My doctor discussed the TIL treatment with me,but she dose not think I have the time to be off treatment for that long while I have a clinical that I could try. I have not washed out of my current treatment yet so that poses a time problem. I have been talking to NIH about starting the approval process TIL. I think TIL maybe my back up plan unless the trial dose not work out. Thanks for your reply and I hope the TIL treatment continues to work for you.

scot

scots
                                                                  Participant

scot

G-Samsa
                                                                  Participant

kylez
                                                                    Participant

Hi Scot,

I've never had TIL. I flew to MDA a few years ago once to look into my eligibility. 

My clinical trial coordinator at Portland Providence mentioned they've started doing a form of TIL. They have this trial (also at Moffitt, Yale and Morristown NJ): https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02360579

They also have a lot of other clinical trials with therapies on pathways that aren't PD1 or CTLA-4 (IPI), like: Galectin inhibitor, Cavatak, AKT inihibitor, Enoblituzumab, SEA-CD40, OX40, Varlilumab, anti-PD-L1, alpha-TEA, Urelumab, and anti-LAG-3. Some are under the "cutaneous (skin)" category, some under "multiple tumor types" categories, http://oregon.providence.org/clinical-trials/

The clinical trial I got into is listed at various places under "solid tumors", "multiple tumor types", etc. but not under melanoma, even though there is a melanom arm along with other arms for other cancer types.

I met someone at a support group once a couple of years ago who got a fantastic response to an AKT inhibitor. Don't know long term, but said he got a super fast response with a heavy tumor load. That's a one person, n=1 anecdote.

Good luck in your search. Kyle

kylez
                                                                      Participant

Hi Scot,

I've never had TIL. I flew to MDA a few years ago once to look into my eligibility. 

My clinical trial coordinator at Portland Providence mentioned they've started doing a form of TIL. They have this trial (also at Moffitt, Yale and Morristown NJ): https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02360579

They also have a lot of other clinical trials with therapies on pathways that aren't PD1 or CTLA-4 (IPI), like: Galectin inhibitor, Cavatak, AKT inihibitor, Enoblituzumab, SEA-CD40, OX40, Varlilumab, anti-PD-L1, alpha-TEA, Urelumab, and anti-LAG-3. Some are under the "cutaneous (skin)" category, some under "multiple tumor types" categories, http://oregon.providence.org/clinical-trials/

The clinical trial I got into is listed at various places under "solid tumors", "multiple tumor types", etc. but not under melanoma, even though there is a melanom arm along with other arms for other cancer types.

I met someone at a support group once a couple of years ago who got a fantastic response to an AKT inhibitor. Don't know long term, but said he got a super fast response with a heavy tumor load. That's a one person, n=1 anecdote.

kylez
                                                                        Participant

Hi Scot,

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics