The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Acral/nail melanoma questions

Forums General Melanoma Community Acral/nail melanoma questions

Participant

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any info on acral melanoma. I have had these medium brown colored bands/streaks on both of my thumbs from for a least a few years if not more. I had googled them in the past and it's extremely difficult to find info on possible benign nail conditions that could mimic acral melanoma. Of course since I had my recent WLE (which was an insitu thankfully) I am scared at every little "suspicious" mole etc.  I was always scared or forgot to show the Derm my nails-and I have had this prior to my recent excision. I do have a check up next Tuesday.  

Im just curious if these streaks are "common". I am light skinned with brown hair and have tons of freckles and moles. Wish I could post a picture! Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Damage to the matrix, the area at the bottom of the nail under the skin, can cause the nail to permanently have streaks, bumps, waves. If you've ever hurt your thumbs, doesn't always take much force, then that could be the cause. It would be unusual for mel to show up in both thumbs, would really only show up in one nail, so I wouldn't be as worried since it's in both thumbs. Bring it up to your derm on Tuesday, but wouldn't stress too much. Also, acral mel is not very common in light skinned folks, it's actually most common with dark skin and african americans… it's what Bob Marley had and passed away from. Another thing I like to remind myself as well is that if your first mel was cutaneous then if you were to have another one it would be the same type of mel and would appear similarly to your first one. 

Michelle820
            Participant

Thanks for your insight! Trying not to google too much-that's what I was thinking…since it's on both thumbs. So hard not to overthink everything:/

jennunicorn
              Participant

Totally understand, it's easy for our minds to go places it wouldn't have gone to so easily before.

jennunicorn
                Participant

Totally understand, it's easy for our minds to go places it wouldn't have gone to so easily before.

jennunicorn
                  Participant

Michelle820
                    Participant

Thanks for your insight! Trying not to google too much-that's what I was thinking…since it's on both thumbs. So hard not to overthink everything:/

Michelle820
                      Participant

jennunicorn
                      Participant

Damage to the matrix, the area at the bottom of the nail under the skin, can cause the nail to permanently have streaks, bumps, waves. If you've ever hurt your thumbs, doesn't always take much force, then that could be the cause. It would be unusual for mel to show up in both thumbs, would really only show up in one nail, so I wouldn't be as worried since it's in both thumbs. Bring it up to your derm on Tuesday, but wouldn't stress too much. Also, acral mel is not very common in light skinned folks, it's actually most common with dark skin and african americans… it's what Bob Marley had and passed away from. Another thing I like to remind myself as well is that if your first mel was cutaneous then if you were to have another one it would be the same type of mel and would appear similarly to your first one. 

jennunicorn
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics