The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

acral lentiginous melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community acral lentiginous melanoma

Participant

Hello – 

Just wondering if anyone has acral lentiginous melanoma ?  How did you approach treatment? 

My mom has stage 3c acral lentiginous melanoma of the big toe.  She just completed radiation of the groin and curious to how others approached.

Thank you.

Elizabeth

Hello – 

Just wondering if anyone has acral lentiginous melanoma ?  How did you approach treatment? 

My mom has stage 3c acral lentiginous melanoma of the big toe.  She just completed radiation of the groin and curious to how others approached.

Thank you.

Elizabeth

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        janward
        Participant

Hi,

I was diagnosed with acral lentiginous melanoma October 2010.  It was in my left thumb which was amputated; the melanoma had gone to the lymph nodes under my left armpit and those nodes were removed.  I was pronounced cancer free.  Six months later, lesions started showing up in my left lung and in July 2011 and after a biopsy, was found to have cancer in my lung.  I had Avastin and Temodar for two months and the cancer grew in my left lung and was also found in three other places . February 2012 I started Yervoy Ipilimumab) infusions.  I was able to tolerate all four infusions.  This drug targets the immune system which in turn targets the cancer.  Yervoy has a lot of side effects and I did end up with significant neuropathy in my feet and hands.  I will probably be taking systemic corticoscosteriods to help with the immune-medicated neuropathy.  I, too, was at stage 3 when the acral lentiginous melanoma was diagnosed, and am now stage 4.  Hope this helps.  Good luck

janward
          Participant

Hi,

I was diagnosed with acral lentiginous melanoma October 2010.  It was in my left thumb which was amputated; the melanoma had gone to the lymph nodes under my left armpit and those nodes were removed.  I was pronounced cancer free.  Six months later, lesions started showing up in my left lung and in July 2011 and after a biopsy, was found to have cancer in my lung.  I had Avastin and Temodar for two months and the cancer grew in my left lung and was also found in three other places . February 2012 I started Yervoy Ipilimumab) infusions.  I was able to tolerate all four infusions.  This drug targets the immune system which in turn targets the cancer.  Yervoy has a lot of side effects and I did end up with significant neuropathy in my feet and hands.  I will probably be taking systemic corticoscosteriods to help with the immune-medicated neuropathy.  I, too, was at stage 3 when the acral lentiginous melanoma was diagnosed, and am now stage 4.  Hope this helps.  Good luck

noisy77
              Participant

Thanks for the response.  I hadn't heard of Avastin and Temodar (never heard the doctors mention) so I am looking into.  Melanoma sucks.

noisy77
                Participant

Thanks for the response.  I hadn't heard of Avastin and Temodar (never heard the doctors mention) so I am looking into.  Melanoma sucks.

cwu
                  Participant

Temodar is chemo that is similar to decarbazine or DTIC.  Temodar is usually used for those with brain tumors since it crosses the brain-blood barrier.  When we considered our options, our oncologist didnt recommend decarbazine because the response rates is very low (about 15-20%) and it is not long lasting (about 6 months on average).

cwu
                    Participant

Temodar is chemo that is similar to decarbazine or DTIC.  Temodar is usually used for those with brain tumors since it crosses the brain-blood barrier.  When we considered our options, our oncologist didnt recommend decarbazine because the response rates is very low (about 15-20%) and it is not long lasting (about 6 months on average).

cwu
                      Participant

noisy77
                        Participant

noisy77
                          Participant

noisy77
                            Participant

noisy77
                              Participant

janward
                              Participant

Hi,

susanr
                                Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

We have a similar case.  My brother was dx. 2/2009.  Stage 3A. nasty presentation.  left foot, ulcerated.  Was sat on for a few months being treated for foot wound, diabetes work up.  after his SLN bx. had micro mets., then lymph node dissection of the groin, about year later had a pevic mass removes…suspected lymph node. and had radiation to the area.  In Oct. 2001 had clear PET, started Yervoy.  In Feb, 2012 His Pet was a mess.  Nodules in Lungs, abdomen, Spot on FRt. femur, and 2 new masses in pelvic region.  Now Stage IV.  He did 6 weks of temodor…..progressed even more.  sites became bigger. but no brain , liver or other vital organ involvement.  His Onc. then added Abraxane.  He just has his second infusion yesterday.  Will see how it goes.  Had appt. for IL-2  possible in future when stronger.  Hope this helps and any ? feel free to respond. 

Regards

Susan

susanr
                                  Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

We have a similar case.  My brother was dx. 2/2009.  Stage 3A. nasty presentation.  left foot, ulcerated.  Was sat on for a few months being treated for foot wound, diabetes work up.  after his SLN bx. had micro mets., then lymph node dissection of the groin, about year later had a pevic mass removes…suspected lymph node. and had radiation to the area.  In Oct. 2001 had clear PET, started Yervoy.  In Feb, 2012 His Pet was a mess.  Nodules in Lungs, abdomen, Spot on FRt. femur, and 2 new masses in pelvic region.  Now Stage IV.  He did 6 weks of temodor…..progressed even more.  sites became bigger. but no brain , liver or other vital organ involvement.  His Onc. then added Abraxane.  He just has his second infusion yesterday.  Will see how it goes.  Had appt. for IL-2  possible in future when stronger.  Hope this helps and any ? feel free to respond. 

Regards

Susan

susanr
                                    Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

Regards

Susan

Lucassi
                                      Participant

My husband was diagnosed with this type of melanoma in 2010.  His toe was amputated and SNB was clean.  He received  Interferon for one month.  Earlier this year, a CT scan revealed  a nodule in his rt. lung.  A lung bx. confirmed melanoma.  He is now on Yervoy; has had two treatments with no side effects other than fatigue.  His initial tumor was negative for BRAF and CKIT so I'm hoping that Yervoy will work as his options for other treatments are limited.   Wishing you the best.

Sigrid

Lucassi
                                        Participant

My husband was diagnosed with this type of melanoma in 2010.  His toe was amputated and SNB was clean.  He received  Interferon for one month.  Earlier this year, a CT scan revealed  a nodule in his rt. lung.  A lung bx. confirmed melanoma.  He is now on Yervoy; has had two treatments with no side effects other than fatigue.  His initial tumor was negative for BRAF and CKIT so I'm hoping that Yervoy will work as his options for other treatments are limited.   Wishing you the best.

Sigrid

cwu
                                            Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

My father has acral mel too, from a mole on the heel of his right leg.  He had surgery, wide local excision, of his primary tumor on his right heel in 2010. About a year later, he has numerous in transit lesions traveling up his right leg. He is c-kit positive.  When we looked into treatment, we looked at the side effects of the treatment and didnt consider anything too toxic since dad is 83 years old.  He did about 2 months of a trial for a c-kit inhibitor, dasatinib, but that didnt work for him.  He then went on to do Yervoy (ippilmumab) and had all 4 infusions.  He had a severe reaction after his last dose and had to be hospitalized for a week for brain imflammation that caused his salt level to drop.  His lesions have gotten worse but his doctor thinks that Yervoy has helped to slow his tumors since the doctor expected his tumors to be much worse by now. Dad finished yervoy last November. Dad is not seeking anymore systemic treatment since there is nothing available that is not too toxic so we are in a wait and see mode.

If surgery works, that is the best, however, melanoma tends to recur and sometimes recur very quickly. The best options are systemic treatment such as Yervoy or anti-pd1, many people on this board said they work best when the tumor burden is low. 

Chau

cwu
                                              Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

My father has acral mel too, from a mole on the heel of his right leg.  He had surgery, wide local excision, of his primary tumor on his right heel in 2010. About a year later, he has numerous in transit lesions traveling up his right leg. He is c-kit positive.  When we looked into treatment, we looked at the side effects of the treatment and didnt consider anything too toxic since dad is 83 years old.  He did about 2 months of a trial for a c-kit inhibitor, dasatinib, but that didnt work for him.  He then went on to do Yervoy (ippilmumab) and had all 4 infusions.  He had a severe reaction after his last dose and had to be hospitalized for a week for brain imflammation that caused his salt level to drop.  His lesions have gotten worse but his doctor thinks that Yervoy has helped to slow his tumors since the doctor expected his tumors to be much worse by now. Dad finished yervoy last November. Dad is not seeking anymore systemic treatment since there is nothing available that is not too toxic so we are in a wait and see mode.

If surgery works, that is the best, however, melanoma tends to recur and sometimes recur very quickly. The best options are systemic treatment such as Yervoy or anti-pd1, many people on this board said they work best when the tumor burden is low. 

Chau

cwu
                                                Participant

Hi Elizabeth,

Chau

Gaius Gracchus
                                                  Participant

My spouse's ALM was not in the lymph nodes, but if it were, we were ready to head to Latvia for treatment with RIGVIR.

More countries are using it for metastatic cancers and it has its best record of success with metastatic melanoma.

Gaius Gracchus
                                                    Participant

My spouse's ALM was not in the lymph nodes, but if it were, we were ready to head to Latvia for treatment with RIGVIR.

More countries are using it for metastatic cancers and it has its best record of success with metastatic melanoma.

Gaius Gracchus
                                                      Participant

Lucassi
                                                      Participant

Sigrid

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics