The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Abnormal mole

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Abnormal mole

Participant
      I had an abnormal mole removed. Mild to moderate. Because of the pathology of it it was determined to have what ended up being a two inch incision. It is on my leg. It hurts (duh) but it is the swelling that bothers me. I know to ice and advil but sure wondering if you all swell too at these incision sites? It almost incapacitates me. It is such a small site but because it is my leg it makes it so I have to sit with it elevated.

I am also perplexed about this whole what moles they take and which ones they leave. My original melanoma mole was tiny. It was just a scab that wouldn’t heal. My basal cell cancer also always scabbed. Can I consider that my sign to insist they take a mole? I have three that really alarm me and my doctor is, hmmm let’s take pictures. Is he trying to establish a baseline?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        majahops
        Participant

Is your dermatologist evaluating the moles you are concerned about with a dermatoscope (a magnifying lens appearing device)? If so, then there may be features that are reassuringly benign in his/her mind. If they are not, you might want to find a dermatologist experienced in dermatoscopic evaluation of pigmented lesions.

Chelem2
            Participant
              He does look at them, in fact he even looked at one of them the day of my margin removal. I have ended up with infection. It is alarming but I am on antibiotics. Of course on a weekend so I will call my derm’s office Monday. Just sucks ya know? I am hoping that I continue to grow more peaceful in my diligence.
              Chelem2
              Participant
                I mean with a handheld magnifying tool.
              SABKLYN
              Participant

Some swelling can be normal.  If it’s red and warm to the touch or of you have fever I would just let your doc know to make sure you don’t have a site infection.  I had a lot of swelling at the site of my SLNB and a whopper of a seroma.  Doc took care of it and all was fine afterward

bjeans
                  Participant

Good point – my husband also had a monster seroma that became quite red and was infected. A course of antibiotics did the trick but it took a while. 

Chelem2
                    Participant
                      It is infected. I got some antibiotics. I do not do well with stitches. I am wondering if I am allergic to the actual stitch material. Or just that sensitive to having my skin messed with. Ah well, a round of antibiotics will hopefully clear it up.
                Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics