The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

A second cancer

Forums General Melanoma Community A second cancer

Participant
      You always expect the ball to drop when you have stage 4 melanoma. My husband did Yervoy 11/14 to 2/15 and since then has remained melanoma free. You start to breathe easier, and your first thought isn’t cancer. On his last scan Dr noted a mass in his bladder…we just found out he now has Stage 1 bladder cancer. I know they say that life will only give you what you can handle, but now I’m just crushed. I can sense my husband is depressed and I just hope we can both snap out of this funk. We are both fighters and I know we will face this like we face melanoma….in it to win it….but boy this is tough. Thanks for listening.

Jewel

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

So sorry you and your husband are having to deal with ONE MORE THING, Jewel!  However, some folks with renal/bladder/urothelial cancer are doing well on anti-PD-1!  I have "met" several via my blog!!!  Here's some info –

There's a "new" anti-PD-1, atezolizumab:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/atezolizumab-renamed-tecentriq-fda.html  

….as well as – Nivolizumab:  https://www.opdivo.com/advanced-renal-cell-carcinoma  

I know it sucks.  I know you're tired.  It sounds like it was caught early.  There is hope!!  Hang in there.  Celeste

Jewel
            Participant
              Thank you Celeste, I’ve been reading up on this as well. I know there is hope!!
              Jewel
              Participant
                The Urologist wants him to do the bcg treatments. Waiting to talk to our Oncologist to see how he feels. I’m terrified of altering his immune system
                Janner
                Participant

BCG has been used as a melanoma treatment in the past.  Often times kidney cancer is treated with similar drugs to melanoma.  So maybe it will have a more synergistic effect.

JuTMSY4
                  Participant

I can't speak to this with any high level of certainty, but I believe there is some research into the potential benefits of traditional chemo combined with immunotherapy.  

Viewing 0 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics