The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

A Question About Painkillers

Forums General Melanoma Community A Question About Painkillers

Participant

My father, who will be 83 in a couple months, is Stage IV with several tumors in the area near his knee, which was the site of his primary tumor. He also has a few small mets in the lungs and possibly (probably) one on the hip bone. He's had two Ipi infusions, the last a week ago and so far without side effects, and will start Keytruda in two weeks.

While he has what he calls "some discomfort" in his knee off and on throughout the day, he is mainly suffering pain at night, which keeps him from falling asleep. (Once he's asleep, though, he sleeps well throughout the night.) For the past few weeks, we tried Aleve, which did nothing, and then a prescription of Norco (5/325), which also did nothing. Last week, his doctor upped the Norco to 7.5/325 and said that he should take it every four hours to prevent, rather than try to stop, the pain.

Dad is not one to take painkillers. He had a sextuple bypass about three years ago and refused any painkillers once he left the hospital. He was resistant to even taking Aleve when the melanoma tumors began to hurt, so I know his leg is really bothering him, given that he's been willing to even try all these pain pills. 

Now, however, since  the higher dose of Norco is not helping with the nighttime pain, he has been prescribed Oxycodone for daytime and Oxycontin before bed. We haven't filled the prescriptions yet, and I'm really wondering if this is the right route to take. Dad doesn't want a stronger painkiller, and we've both noticed that since  he's been on the 24-hour pain regimen, he just kind of zones out in his recliner, where before he was out in the yard and making his little trips to the dollar store. He says he feels dizzy off and on now, and he's definitely a bit cranky.

I'm concerned that the new pills will just make things worse. I've been the one pushing him to take painkillers because I hate to know he's hurting, but now I feel bad because they've really stolen his joys in life. I also worry about the Oxy's because of his age. I feel like maybe I should just let him handle things the way he wants to, even if that means not taking any pain meds. He's more than willing now to take a painkiller before bed, but the way it sounds, this Oxy stuff has to be taken around the clock or not at all. And the nurse also told me that pain taxes the immune system and leads to poorer outcomes.

Any advice or input would be much appreciated. 

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Cooper
        Participant

Ask for something like tramadol with tylenol.  It is non-narcotic, and less likey to cause side effects yet is good pain killer.

Cooper
          Participant

Ask for something like tramadol with tylenol.  It is non-narcotic, and less likey to cause side effects yet is good pain killer.

Cooper
            Participant

arthurjedi007
              Participant

I have a couple dozen tumors in bones and surrounding soft tissue. Yes the pain can be hard to deal with. I refused pain medicines because I know at least for me once I start down that road it might not be a road I want to be on. When the pain gets bad enough that I need some relief I put the heating pad on. That seems to numb the pain to get me through until it eases off. Once in awhile I'll do a cold pack instead but most of the time just the heat. Like yesterday the huge tumor (8 by 9 cm) in my shoulder was hurting like crazy so I was on the heating pad for neck and shoulders pretty much all day and some last night. Also a little this morning but finally the pain has started easing off so I can be more up and about again. Once in awhile I will take a tylenol like last night before bed I took one cause you can't leave a heating pad on while you try to sleep. It might have helped but the pain in my shoulder woke me up early in the morning so I put the heating pad on again and stayed awake until I shut it off. I think some might come with timers too. Anyway it seems that heat gets into the bone and at least numbs the pain for me so it makes it more tolerable.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                Participant

I have a couple dozen tumors in bones and surrounding soft tissue. Yes the pain can be hard to deal with. I refused pain medicines because I know at least for me once I start down that road it might not be a road I want to be on. When the pain gets bad enough that I need some relief I put the heating pad on. That seems to numb the pain to get me through until it eases off. Once in awhile I'll do a cold pack instead but most of the time just the heat. Like yesterday the huge tumor (8 by 9 cm) in my shoulder was hurting like crazy so I was on the heating pad for neck and shoulders pretty much all day and some last night. Also a little this morning but finally the pain has started easing off so I can be more up and about again. Once in awhile I will take a tylenol like last night before bed I took one cause you can't leave a heating pad on while you try to sleep. It might have helped but the pain in my shoulder woke me up early in the morning so I put the heating pad on again and stayed awake until I shut it off. I think some might come with timers too. Anyway it seems that heat gets into the bone and at least numbs the pain for me so it makes it more tolerable.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                  Participant

Artie

sweetaugust
                    Participant

My thoughts on helping pain, in legs or hips, joints or muscles, etc., is an anti-inflammatory diet.  I too am not one to take any meds or pain pills unless absolutely necessary.  And I do suffer from some joint and muscle pain from time to time, as a side effect of the drug trial I am on.  Due to being on that drug trial (MK-3475,) my doctors advised that I do not take Advil or Aleve.  Which is fine by me. 

People with Rheumatoid Arthritis suffer from these types of pains and have been advised to try an anti-inflammatory diet.  So I attached the link below of some items to feed your dad, and maybe that will help.

http://www.arthritistoday.org/tools-and-resources/slideshows/anti-inflammatory-diet.php

Just trying to help.  Have a great day, Laurie

sweetaugust
                      Participant

My thoughts on helping pain, in legs or hips, joints or muscles, etc., is an anti-inflammatory diet.  I too am not one to take any meds or pain pills unless absolutely necessary.  And I do suffer from some joint and muscle pain from time to time, as a side effect of the drug trial I am on.  Due to being on that drug trial (MK-3475,) my doctors advised that I do not take Advil or Aleve.  Which is fine by me. 

People with Rheumatoid Arthritis suffer from these types of pains and have been advised to try an anti-inflammatory diet.  So I attached the link below of some items to feed your dad, and maybe that will help.

http://www.arthritistoday.org/tools-and-resources/slideshows/anti-inflammatory-diet.php

sweetaugust
                        Participant

Gene_S
                          Participant

Hello,

You might like to try curcurmin (tumeric).  I have a friend that is a nurse and she has arthritis and takes 875 mg in the morning and 1000 mg at night.  She says she has no pain and it is a herb after all so it shouldn't hurt anything or make you dizzy unless you are allergic to this particular herb.

Gene_S
                            Participant

Hello,

You might like to try curcurmin (tumeric).  I have a friend that is a nurse and she has arthritis and takes 875 mg in the morning and 1000 mg at night.  She says she has no pain and it is a herb after all so it shouldn't hurt anything or make you dizzy unless you are allergic to this particular herb.

sweetaugust
                                Participant

I also take curcumin (turmeric) everyday as I have heard it is quite good for pain from inflammation.

sweetaugust
                                  Participant

I also take curcumin (turmeric) everyday as I have heard it is quite good for pain from inflammation.

sweetaugust
                                    Participant

DZnDef
                                      Participant

Count me on the Curcumin bandwagon.  I take 2400mg per day with food.  My NMD recently switched my brand to "Theracurmin".  Evidently it is more bioavailable than the one she had me taking before.  I'm sure there are other brands that are also bioavailable but that's the one she told me about.

Best – Maggie

DZnDef
                                        Participant

Count me on the Curcumin bandwagon.  I take 2400mg per day with food.  My NMD recently switched my brand to "Theracurmin".  Evidently it is more bioavailable than the one she had me taking before.  I'm sure there are other brands that are also bioavailable but that's the one she told me about.

Best – Maggie

DZnDef
                                          Participant

Best – Maggie

Gene_S
                                          Participant

Hello,

ed williams
                                            Participant

I have used oxycontin a couple of times after mountain bike crashes. If your dad was lacking get up and go after the meds he is on now, you should expect and much stronger reaction with oxy. I broke some ribs after one of my bike crashes and the oxy help a lot when the pain was acute. I can see how people get addicted to them, I was totally zoned out mentally. The pain will be gone but the side effects are pretty wild. Artie had a good idea with the heat. I also use ice packs after I ride on my old knees. 15 min on then 15 min off, I find it numbs the pain. I feel that a routine that allows your dad to do the things he enjoys should be the main prior of the decision making process. Best of luck!!!!!  Ed

ed williams
                                              Participant

I have used oxycontin a couple of times after mountain bike crashes. If your dad was lacking get up and go after the meds he is on now, you should expect and much stronger reaction with oxy. I broke some ribs after one of my bike crashes and the oxy help a lot when the pain was acute. I can see how people get addicted to them, I was totally zoned out mentally. The pain will be gone but the side effects are pretty wild. Artie had a good idea with the heat. I also use ice packs after I ride on my old knees. 15 min on then 15 min off, I find it numbs the pain. I feel that a routine that allows your dad to do the things he enjoys should be the main prior of the decision making process. Best of luck!!!!!  Ed

ed williams
                                                Participant

JustMeInCA
                                                  Participant

Thanks to all of you — I truly appreciate your insight, particularly Artie and Ed who have had some direct experiences. Dad's biggest tumor is about 6.5 cm x 5.5 cm, so it is fairly large and gets a lot of action right there at his knee. Today he went without painkillers and said he felt much better, and he was definitely more cheerful! He even trotted off on one of his shopping jaunts. Not sure how the night will go — he headed off to bed very hopefully but will likely end up in the recliner in a bit. For some reason, his position in the recliner eases the pain somehow. I'll talk to him tomorrow about using heat on it when he's in bed, and I'll investigate the turmeric. I wanted to try frankincense oil, but that was a no-go from the doctor at UCSF, even on the tumors without ulceration. 

JustMeInCA
                                                    Participant

Thanks to all of you — I truly appreciate your insight, particularly Artie and Ed who have had some direct experiences. Dad's biggest tumor is about 6.5 cm x 5.5 cm, so it is fairly large and gets a lot of action right there at his knee. Today he went without painkillers and said he felt much better, and he was definitely more cheerful! He even trotted off on one of his shopping jaunts. Not sure how the night will go — he headed off to bed very hopefully but will likely end up in the recliner in a bit. For some reason, his position in the recliner eases the pain somehow. I'll talk to him tomorrow about using heat on it when he's in bed, and I'll investigate the turmeric. I wanted to try frankincense oil, but that was a no-go from the doctor at UCSF, even on the tumors without ulceration. 

MissyT
                                                        Participant

Any idea why they doctor's discouraged using frankincense?

MissyT
                                                          Participant

JustMeInCA
                                                            Participant

I'm going to ask the next time we go — next week. I suspect it's because two of the tumors are ulcerated, but I want to know if I can try it on the ones that are not.

JustMeInCA
                                                              Participant

I'm going to ask the next time we go — next week. I suspect it's because two of the tumors are ulcerated, but I want to know if I can try it on the ones that are not.

JustMeInCA
                                                                Participant

MissyT
                                                                  Participant

JustMeInCA
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics