The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

A Non-Network Medical Flight was used for Eric

Forums General Melanoma Community A Non-Network Medical Flight was used for Eric

Participant

United Health Care only paid $8,000 of Eric's Medical Flight bill leaving us over $15,500 to pay ourselves.  The hospital used a company that was not in-network with our insurance.  I didn't know this could happen.  I thought if you were at an in-network hospital then all services used were in-network.  I even asked if the flight was a covered expense and they said yes because it was an emergency, I never imagined they would be out of network!

Does anyone have experience with this?  Thanks, JillNEric In OH

United Health Care only paid $8,000 of Eric's Medical Flight bill leaving us over $15,500 to pay ourselves.  The hospital used a company that was not in-network with our insurance.  I didn't know this could happen.  I thought if you were at an in-network hospital then all services used were in-network.  I even asked if the flight was a covered expense and they said yes because it was an emergency, I never imagined they would be out of network!

Does anyone have experience with this?  Thanks, JillNEric In OH

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

Jill, not surprised.  You should try appealing, see if it does any good.  I got hit with a $30k assitant suegeon  bill because he was out of network!  Like I knew he was going to be in the O.R.  The appeal didn't do any good but I still appealed. 

washoegal
          Participant

Jill, not surprised.  You should try appealing, see if it does any good.  I got hit with a $30k assitant suegeon  bill because he was out of network!  Like I knew he was going to be in the O.R.  The appeal didn't do any good but I still appealed. 

King
            Participant

Jill,

I'm so sorry.  How frustrating.  Appeal, appeal, appeal….  Get copies of the ER records including documentation that Eric had to be air lifted to a facility that could provide the necessary service. Also, get a copy of the admission sheet at the receiving hospital and the care that was provided upon arrival.  Do you know how it was determined that United would pay $8,000?  Is that the maximum benefit for emergency transport or is it a PPO and they paid a percentage of an out of network provider?  Either way, an appeal is necessary(though if it's the maximum benefit you might not "win").  Most areas don't even have many choices for a medical flight.  If one was in an auto accident that required air transport, would you have to make sure an in network helicopter arrived on scene?  Ugh!

But just because you are in an in network hospital, all services in that hospital are not necessarily covered.  For example, I am a patient at Moffit (in network) but I have to have my lab drawn at a free standing facility (unless I was receiving chemo then I could get it done at Moffitt).  But Eric's case was a life threatening emergency.  It can be a full time job to learn all the insurance company rules and regs (that change every year).  I'm truly sorry that you are dealing with this on top of everything else.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

King
              Participant

Jill,

I'm so sorry.  How frustrating.  Appeal, appeal, appeal….  Get copies of the ER records including documentation that Eric had to be air lifted to a facility that could provide the necessary service. Also, get a copy of the admission sheet at the receiving hospital and the care that was provided upon arrival.  Do you know how it was determined that United would pay $8,000?  Is that the maximum benefit for emergency transport or is it a PPO and they paid a percentage of an out of network provider?  Either way, an appeal is necessary(though if it's the maximum benefit you might not "win").  Most areas don't even have many choices for a medical flight.  If one was in an auto accident that required air transport, would you have to make sure an in network helicopter arrived on scene?  Ugh!

But just because you are in an in network hospital, all services in that hospital are not necessarily covered.  For example, I am a patient at Moffit (in network) but I have to have my lab drawn at a free standing facility (unless I was receiving chemo then I could get it done at Moffitt).  But Eric's case was a life threatening emergency.  It can be a full time job to learn all the insurance company rules and regs (that change every year).  I'm truly sorry that you are dealing with this on top of everything else.

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

KatyWI
                Participant

Frickin insurance.  Don't get me started.

Definitely appeal.  It's an aggravating process,  but there's no other choice.

Another approach is to work with the medical flight people and try to negotiate with them to accept a lower rate.  If they're in-network for another insurance, what rate do they accept from them?  See if they will accept that amount from you.

This is the last thing any of us needs, yet we spend hours upon hours fighting with our insurance companies when we should be busy fighting to survive. 

Katy'WI

KatyWI
                  Participant

Frickin insurance.  Don't get me started.

Definitely appeal.  It's an aggravating process,  but there's no other choice.

Another approach is to work with the medical flight people and try to negotiate with them to accept a lower rate.  If they're in-network for another insurance, what rate do they accept from them?  See if they will accept that amount from you.

This is the last thing any of us needs, yet we spend hours upon hours fighting with our insurance companies when we should be busy fighting to survive. 

Katy'WI

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics