The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

A little bummed

Forums General Melanoma Community A little bummed

Participant

So I met with my dr's nurse practitioner and am now in the process of weaning off of prednisone and getting revved up to resume nivo treatment after my pituitary issues.  I wanted to get more details about my shrinkage and told her I never got my email giving me all of my results. She read most of my results and all of my tumors have shrunk by 1/2 roughly. There is one tumors though that was never mentioned and has never been mentioned before that has grown. I would not have known about this tumor if I had not read my exam results in my email. I have an enlargement of the porta carval lymph nodes that is over 2 cm in size that the  results state concerning for metastasis. I am keeping faith that I was not told about this for a reason as it is undetermined or maybe some underlying factors I do not know about. Just a little bummed that I was all go and realize that there are still many obstacles in the way on this bumpy road. Part of me just had the inclination that I'll take the meds, get better, and move on and I still have that basic belief. Just worn down a little. 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Polymath
        Participant

Hi Aaron,

Yes, a bumpy road indeed.  Mel is such a bad-boy, who refuses to play by the rules.  I have had the same thing happen.  Mets that are present and doctors sort of brushing them off, even though close examination of radiology reports reveal them.  I could speculate that our doctors may be treating us as best they can already and adding to anxiety serve no productive purpose.  What's important is you seem to have the right attitude about beating this back.  Stay positive and keep living life.  Best to you in the battle.

Gary

Polymath
          Participant

Hi Aaron,

Yes, a bumpy road indeed.  Mel is such a bad-boy, who refuses to play by the rules.  I have had the same thing happen.  Mets that are present and doctors sort of brushing them off, even though close examination of radiology reports reveal them.  I could speculate that our doctors may be treating us as best they can already and adding to anxiety serve no productive purpose.  What's important is you seem to have the right attitude about beating this back.  Stay positive and keep living life.  Best to you in the battle.

Gary

Polymath
            Participant

Hi Aaron,

Gary

Gene_S
              Participant

I found it helpful to request copies of all reports:  radiology, blood and surgery.  I kept these in a file so if I ever went for a second opinion I had them handy and ready to take with me.

Gene_S
                Participant

I found it helpful to request copies of all reports:  radiology, blood and surgery.  I kept these in a file so if I ever went for a second opinion I had them handy and ready to take with me.

Gene_S
                  Participant

WithinMySkin
                    Participant
                      Hey Aaron I’m so sorry you’re still on the up and down of the roller coaster. I agree with Gary that many times docs want to be be positive about results. Decrease by 1/2 is GREAT news!! Lymph nodes can enlarge for many reasons, not just metastasis, so they possibly didn’t mention this before due to the uncertainty of what is causing it to grow. Don’t let this gray news overshadow the good news. Your treatment is clearly working, and even if it’s only a partial response, that’s still a response. Hopefully you can wean from the prednisone easily and the Nivo will take care of the rest.

All the best,
                      Lauren

WithinMySkin
                      Participant
                        Hey Aaron I’m so sorry you’re still on the up and down of the roller coaster. I agree with Gary that many times docs want to be be positive about results. Decrease by 1/2 is GREAT news!! Lymph nodes can enlarge for many reasons, not just metastasis, so they possibly didn’t mention this before due to the uncertainty of what is causing it to grow. Don’t let this gray news overshadow the good news. Your treatment is clearly working, and even if it’s only a partial response, that’s still a response. Hopefully you can wean from the prednisone easily and the Nivo will take care of the rest.

All the best,
                        Lauren

WithinMySkin
                        Participant

All the best,
                          Lauren

KAF
                          Participant

Hi Aaron –

Karen here.  Sorry to hear about the updated not being what you hoped.  I do know that my scans were done at 8 weeks after my 3rd dose and 7 weeks after I had gone on the steroids for the pituitary inflamation.  You didn't go on the steroids until a week after I did and you had your scans a week before mine so if i'm correct you only had the scans done 6 weeks after you started the steroids.  My doc said that she has seen many responses in the 10-12 week range after the ipi/nivo treatment so she had forewarned me that if the scans didn't come out as well as we had wanted, we would rescan in the 12 week range.  Have you discussed that with your doc?  I meet with my doc in 1 month and hopefully the external melanoma will have shrunk enough to maybe remove by surgery and hopefully i'll be weaned down enough on the steroids to start up on the nivo maintenance. Doesn't sound like your doc is very forthcoming with information so be sure to have all your questions/concerns in writing so you can have him/her answer them directly

KAF
                            Participant

Hi Aaron –

Karen here.  Sorry to hear about the updated not being what you hoped.  I do know that my scans were done at 8 weeks after my 3rd dose and 7 weeks after I had gone on the steroids for the pituitary inflamation.  You didn't go on the steroids until a week after I did and you had your scans a week before mine so if i'm correct you only had the scans done 6 weeks after you started the steroids.  My doc said that she has seen many responses in the 10-12 week range after the ipi/nivo treatment so she had forewarned me that if the scans didn't come out as well as we had wanted, we would rescan in the 12 week range.  Have you discussed that with your doc?  I meet with my doc in 1 month and hopefully the external melanoma will have shrunk enough to maybe remove by surgery and hopefully i'll be weaned down enough on the steroids to start up on the nivo maintenance. Doesn't sound like your doc is very forthcoming with information so be sure to have all your questions/concerns in writing so you can have him/her answer them directly

KAF
                              Participant

Hi Aaron –

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics