The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

A fighter now at rest…

Forums General Melanoma Community A fighter now at rest…

Participant

My family has been down the "road of melanoma".  I've so often come to this board looking for hope and other times information…you all have provided both so many times.  I rarely post, but often read.  Thank you all for help.

My family has been down the "road of melanoma".  I've so often come to this board looking for hope and other times information…you all have provided both so many times.  I rarely post, but often read.  Thank you all for help.

My dad, Ted lost his battle with Melanoma on March 14th…he fought for 3 1/2 years and endured interferon, IL2, Ipi, numerous surgeries, gamma knife and cyber knife, 2 craniotomies, numerous seizures, and in the last 8 months of his life, a brain bleed that left him with paralysis and aphasia/loss of speech.  He stunned his physicians as he continued to fight.  In the past year, he fought to walk my sister down the isle at her wedding, celebrate his 60th birthday, his 35th wedding anniversary, and be the first person to hold my new baby girl, his first grandchild. 

For those still fighting this terrible disease personally or with a loved one, please don't let this post bring you down.  My father lived a beautiful life, fought the good fight, and is now at peace at the beach in Cape Cod.  He had to leave us, but not before teaching us SO much about life, love, and the importance of family.  Although his time was too short, he lived and loved more in 60 years than most do in a full lifetime.

My main reason for posting is that I want to give back what so many have given me. My dad went through SO much.  PLEASE feel free to contact me.  This journey has taught us so much…about treatment options, coping, insurance companies, rehab facilities, home care, hospice, caregiving….I want to be able to help others with so many of the questions we had throughout this journey.

All I can say is some days I didn't know how much more he or our family could endure…I felt so helpless, exhausted, and scared.  He's been gone 2 months and looking back, it now just seems like a bad dream.  I miss him dearly but know he's at peace.

Sending support and strenght to all of you…

Kelly

A link to  Ted's life tribute:

http://www.wallingfordfh.com/sitemaker/sites/wallin0/obit.cgi?user=333239GoodyearJr

Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Replies
        Carol Taylor
        Participant

Kelly,

A beautiful tribute from a beautiful daughter! I'm sorry about your Dad but glad you've learned and that he made the most & best of his time.

Great that you're using this to give back. All the best to you, Friend.

Lord, in Your mercy guide Kelly and continue to heal her heart. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Carol stage 3b

Carol Taylor
          Participant

Kelly,

A beautiful tribute from a beautiful daughter! I'm sorry about your Dad but glad you've learned and that he made the most & best of his time.

Great that you're using this to give back. All the best to you, Friend.

Lord, in Your mercy guide Kelly and continue to heal her heart. Amen.

Grace and peace,

Carol stage 3b

dian in spokane
            Participant

kelly, you are a great daughter!

I'm so very sorry for your loss

dian

dian in spokane
              Participant

kelly, you are a great daughter!

I'm so very sorry for your loss

dian

MMarieMetcalfe
                Participant

I am sorry to hear of your loss.  I just lost my mother-in-law to breast cancer, and was just diagnosed with Stage IIC Malignant Melanoma.  I hope one day there is a cure found, until then we will all continue to fight this disease.

Sincerely,

Michelle

MMarieMetcalfe
                  Participant

I am sorry to hear of your loss.  I just lost my mother-in-law to breast cancer, and was just diagnosed with Stage IIC Malignant Melanoma.  I hope one day there is a cure found, until then we will all continue to fight this disease.

Sincerely,

Michelle

King
                    Participant

Kelly,

Thank you so much for this beautiful post.  My sincere sympathy to you, your family and family's friends in the loss of your Dad, Ted.  You are so generous to offer your help and guidance to others.

Enjoy your baby girl.  They grow up much too fast.

Stay Strong
                      King

Stage IV  7/05 Liver mets

King
                      Participant

Kelly,

Thank you so much for this beautiful post.  My sincere sympathy to you, your family and family's friends in the loss of your Dad, Ted.  You are so generous to offer your help and guidance to others.

Enjoy your baby girl.  They grow up much too fast.

Stay Strong
                        King

Stage IV  7/05 Liver mets

mclaus23
                        Participant

My father just passed away last week from this beast. He fought stage IV for 4 years. He woke up one morning and was not very coherent. Scan showed multiple brain Tumors and a large bleed. His brain scan 7 weeks prior was clear. He passed away 1 day after this happened.

any tips on coping, etc? He was my best bud! I took care of all of his research, appts etc and saw him daily.

I miss him so much!

Maggie

mclaus23
                          Participant

My father just passed away last week from this beast. He fought stage IV for 4 years. He woke up one morning and was not very coherent. Scan showed multiple brain Tumors and a large bleed. His brain scan 7 weeks prior was clear. He passed away 1 day after this happened.

any tips on coping, etc? He was my best bud! I took care of all of his research, appts etc and saw him daily.

I miss him so much!

Maggie

mclaus23
                            Participant

I miss him so much!

Maggie

Viewing 10 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics