The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

9 1/2 Years Later

Forums General Melanoma Community 9 1/2 Years Later

Participant

Hi All,

I was very active on this board in the 2007 to about 2010 time frame. My husband, Joe, had a Stage IIA nodular melanoma (2.5mm, nonulcerated, high mitotic rate, though I don't remember the number at the moment) removed from his right earlobe in January 2007. He had no other treatment besides WLE/SLN. He also had a PET/CT scan for about the first two years. All has been well. We opted to stop the scans and move on. I have to admit I was obsessed with melanoma research for a couple of years. About drove myself bonkers (and I'm sure my husband too)! But, I did feel I was very well informed if he had needed to make treatment decisions in those years. 

Anyway, I've been out of the melanoma loop for a lot of years. About two weeks ago, Joe started having pretty severe pain in his left jaw area. He's had two tooth abscesses/root canals before, but he said this didn't feel like those did. He saw the dentist on Wednesday. She did bite wing xrays on that side and an exam and said she didn't find anything that would lead her to believe he had an abscess or anything along those lines. She referred him to an endodontist. He saw him yesterday. He also couldn't find anything and suggested a referrel to a periodontist. This is all fine, and we're hoping it is something dental though he has no evidence at all of gum disease. Endodontist gave him a Rx for amoxicillin (in case there's some kind of infection that's not readily evident) and 800 mg ibuprofen, which has helped with pain management since yesterday.

The pain has been up and down, at times very severe. So while pursuing the dental options, I thought it might be a good idea to get our family doctor involved. She thought with his history and with the dentist and endodontist not finding anything, it would be a good idea to get a head CT scan. That will happen on Wednesday afternoon.

So, here we are. I needed someone to vent to who would understand how hard the waiting is. Janner, if you're still here on this board, something you said all those years ago has really stuck with me. That was, "When you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras." I've thought back to that quote many times over the years. I shared it with my husband a few days ago, so I'm hoping he's looking for horses too!

Will let you know what happens. Thanks for listening. Niki

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

I thought it was "Look for the most likely explanation first, then look for zebras."  🙂

JC
          Participant

I thought it was "Look for the most likely explanation first, then look for zebras."  🙂

JC
            Participant

Niki
                Participant

Yes, exactly! That would be the horse. I may not remember the quote word for word, but you get the idea!

Niki
                  Participant

Yes, exactly! That would be the horse. I may not remember the quote word for word, but you get the idea!

Niki
                    Participant

stars
                    Participant

Niki, I'm sorry to hear you are playing the waiting game again. Like Janner said… well, we're not 100% sure, but it involves horses and zebras and most likely yours is a horse. Or something! You sound like an amazing caregiver. Hang in there!

stars
                      Participant

Niki, I'm sorry to hear you are playing the waiting game again. Like Janner said… well, we're not 100% sure, but it involves horses and zebras and most likely yours is a horse. Or something! You sound like an amazing caregiver. Hang in there!

stars
                        Participant

stars
                          Participant

Just a thought… it's not heart-related is it? It might be referred pain from somewhere else in the body (e.g., heart problems can cause jaw ache).

stars
                            Participant

Just a thought… it's not heart-related is it? It might be referred pain from somewhere else in the body (e.g., heart problems can cause jaw ache).

Niki
                                Participant

Don't think it's heart related. I do know about that connection. Hopefully, with the family doc involved that will be looked into as well. 

Niki
                                  Participant

Don't think it's heart related. I do know about that connection. Hopefully, with the family doc involved that will be looked into as well. 

Niki
                                    Participant

stars
                                    Participant

Cathy M
                                      Participant
                                        Smart move getting the family doc on board…better yet the doc ordered the CT. Good luck Wednesday !!
                                          Niki
                                          Participant

Thanks! He seems to be feeling a little better in the last day, so maybe it's the antibiotics helping some unseen infection? 

Niki
                                            Participant

Thanks! He seems to be feeling a little better in the last day, so maybe it's the antibiotics helping some unseen infection? 

Niki
                                              Participant

Just received Joe's CBC results. Slightly low RBC, Hemaglobin, and Hematocrit. He had low blood counts a year ago as well. Ferritin is normal so it's not an iron deficiency anemia. I didn't think too much of it a year ago because the doc didn't either. But with the jaw bone pain issue now and low blood counts still, it's a little concerning. Probably time to investigate what's causing the low blood counts.

Niki
                                                Participant

Just received Joe's CBC results. Slightly low RBC, Hemaglobin, and Hematocrit. He had low blood counts a year ago as well. Ferritin is normal so it's not an iron deficiency anemia. I didn't think too much of it a year ago because the doc didn't either. But with the jaw bone pain issue now and low blood counts still, it's a little concerning. Probably time to investigate what's causing the low blood counts.

Niki
                                                  Participant

Niki
                                                    Participant

Cathy M
                                                    Participant
                                                      Smart move getting the family doc on board…better yet the doc ordered the CT. Good luck Wednesday !!
                                                      Cathy M
                                                      Participant
                                                        Cathy M
                                                        Participant
                                                          Just checking in on you Niki and Joe…hope that scan went well and that jaw pain has resolved itself.
                                                          Cathy M
                                                          Participant
                                                            Just checking in on you Niki and Joe…hope that scan went well and that jaw pain has resolved itself.
                                                            Cathy M
                                                            Participant
                                                          Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics