The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

82 year old father with stage 4 melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community 82 year old father with stage 4 melanoma

Participant

My father is 82 years old and was diagnosed with Stage 4 melanoma about a month and a half ago. He has tumors in his brain, liver, kidneys, adrenals, lymphs, and elsewhere. He woke up one morning and couldn't move his left arm and was diagnosed at that time. He had full brain radiation for 10 days and has been on Zelboraf for about a week and a half now. His side effects are debilitating exhaustion, lack of appetite, and skin rash. Doc is taking him off for him to "detox" and may put him back on a lower dose. Fortunately he has no pain or nausea.

My father is 82 years old and was diagnosed with Stage 4 melanoma about a month and a half ago. He has tumors in his brain, liver, kidneys, adrenals, lymphs, and elsewhere. He woke up one morning and couldn't move his left arm and was diagnosed at that time. He had full brain radiation for 10 days and has been on Zelboraf for about a week and a half now. His side effects are debilitating exhaustion, lack of appetite, and skin rash. Doc is taking him off for him to "detox" and may put him back on a lower dose. Fortunately he has no pain or nausea. I'm so glad to have found this website. Thank you for being here. Sending love to you all. ~m

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

I'm sorry.  I read the profile – is there any other cancer type at all that has the ability to come back 30 years later?  Why is melanoma so notorious for recurring so many years later like this?  Other cancers after 5 years NED it's unlikely it would ever return.

JC
          Participant

I'm sorry.  I read the profile – is there any other cancer type at all that has the ability to come back 30 years later?  Why is melanoma so notorious for recurring so many years later like this?  Other cancers after 5 years NED it's unlikely it would ever return.

lhaley
              Participant

I also read your file and my melanoma came back after 27 years.   I am currently doing WBR.  I have been warned that I will be exhausted when treatment is done.  My Drs decided 15 days. This could be making your father so tired.   

I took zelboraf until last week.  I was exhausted when taking it.  Rashes, hives ect. My dr took me off for a week and put me on steroids because of the excessive itching. He put me back on 3 X 2. A few weeks later I started having red bumps around my eyes so I was taken off again and then put on 2 x 2.  Last scan I was taken off because of additional brain mets.  

For some people Zelboraf have no issues and respond for quite a time, for others it's toxic or doesn't respond for long. 

Linda

meeshka6059
                Participant

Thank you for your reply. What is WBR? I hope they can put him back on successfully at a lower dose and extend his life with quality. This is no way to live, that's for sure. Yes, toxic. Treatments seem so toxic at the same time they give us hope.

I'm sorry your melanoma came back after so long, too. I hope you are doing well, Linda. I hope you haven't suffered and will continue to thrive.

Sending Love, Michelle

meeshka6059
                  Participant

Thank you for your reply. What is WBR? I hope they can put him back on successfully at a lower dose and extend his life with quality. This is no way to live, that's for sure. Yes, toxic. Treatments seem so toxic at the same time they give us hope.

I'm sorry your melanoma came back after so long, too. I hope you are doing well, Linda. I hope you haven't suffered and will continue to thrive.

Sending Love, Michelle

meeshka6059
                    Participant

Sending Love, Michelle

lhaley
                      Participant

I also read your file and my melanoma came back after 27 years.   I am currently doing WBR.  I have been warned that I will be exhausted when treatment is done.  My Drs decided 15 days. This could be making your father so tired.   

I took zelboraf until last week.  I was exhausted when taking it.  Rashes, hives ect. My dr took me off for a week and put me on steroids because of the excessive itching. He put me back on 3 X 2. A few weeks later I started having red bumps around my eyes so I was taken off again and then put on 2 x 2.  Last scan I was taken off because of additional brain mets.  

For some people Zelboraf have no issues and respond for quite a time, for others it's toxic or doesn't respond for long. 

Linda

lhaley
                        Participant

Linda

meeshka6059
                          Participant

Dad's docs all said they had never seen a recurrance after 20 years. Leave it my Dad to break a record. What is NED? I am new and don't know the acronyms used here yet.

I hope you are doing alright, Anonymous.

Peace, Michelle

lhaley
                            Participant

NED is no evidence of disease.  It basically means that with melanoma cells can keep sleeping and many years ago it can be activated.  When you have a scan there can be small tumors will not be seen.

WBR is whole brain radiation.  The first choice with melanoma is gamma knife.  It is a radiation where it only aims at the tumors and not other healthy cells of the brain.  They will only do that when the tumors mass is less than 2.5cm.  Sometimes they will go a little larger if the tumor is elongated.  Once you have wbr you can have gamma knife.  You often have to go to a large hospital.  I had something called SRS that is just slightly different than gamma (I have to tell you that I can't spell it!)

lhaley
                              Participant

NED is no evidence of disease.  It basically means that with melanoma cells can keep sleeping and many years ago it can be activated.  When you have a scan there can be small tumors will not be seen.

WBR is whole brain radiation.  The first choice with melanoma is gamma knife.  It is a radiation where it only aims at the tumors and not other healthy cells of the brain.  They will only do that when the tumors mass is less than 2.5cm.  Sometimes they will go a little larger if the tumor is elongated.  Once you have wbr you can have gamma knife.  You often have to go to a large hospital.  I had something called SRS that is just slightly different than gamma (I have to tell you that I can't spell it!)

lhaley
                                Participant

meeshka6059
                                  Participant

Dad's docs all said they had never seen a recurrance after 20 years. Leave it my Dad to break a record. What is NED? I am new and don't know the acronyms used here yet.

Peace, Michelle

meeshka6059
                                    Participant

Peace, Michelle

JC
                                    Participant

meeshka6059
                                      Participant

Update: Dad seems to be regaining strength today. His rash and itchiness are also going away. The docs say he can re-try Zel at a lower dose. Frankly I'm afraid of that. It's rough for an 82 year old man to get up after being knocked down too many times. He's tough though. Quite the fighter. Gawd bless him.

Thank you for all your support.

Love,

Meeshka

meeshka6059
                                        Participant

Update: Dad seems to be regaining strength today. His rash and itchiness are also going away. The docs say he can re-try Zel at a lower dose. Frankly I'm afraid of that. It's rough for an 82 year old man to get up after being knocked down too many times. He's tough though. Quite the fighter. Gawd bless him.

Love,

Meeshka

meeshka6059
                                          Participant

Love,

Meeshka

SidneyGracie
                                            Participant

So sorry to hear about your father.  My husband also has the disease that had spread to all the same places.  He is only 57. He had whole brain radiation too.   He is also now starting to get the terrible side effects from Zelboraf.  My prayers are with you.

SidneyGracie
                                              Participant

So sorry to hear about your father.  My husband also has the disease that had spread to all the same places.  He is only 57. He had whole brain radiation too.   He is also now starting to get the terrible side effects from Zelboraf.  My prayers are with you.

meeshka6059
                                                  Participant

So sorry to hear about your husband, SidneyGracie. Will he continue using the Zelboraf? We haven't begun to discuss if Dad will try again at a lower dose. Mom and I don't want him to, but Dad is a fighter and may decide to try again. Sending prayers to the universe for a cure to this dreadful disease and comfort to those who suffer from it, and their loved one. Peace,

meeshka6059
                                                    Participant

So sorry to hear about your husband, SidneyGracie. Will he continue using the Zelboraf? We haven't begun to discuss if Dad will try again at a lower dose. Mom and I don't want him to, but Dad is a fighter and may decide to try again. Sending prayers to the universe for a cure to this dreadful disease and comfort to those who suffer from it, and their loved one. Peace,

meeshka6059
                                                      Participant

SidneyGracie
                                                      Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics