The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

5 years Stage 4

Forums General Melanoma Community 5 years Stage 4

Participant

Hi Folks –

I know I've been MIA lately!  Some folks that have been around here awhile may remember me! (I keep a blog: http://www.melanomaandthecity.blogspot.com).  I just thought as we go thru navigating this awful disease, a little good news never hurts, right?  March 1, 2011 I had a VAT's procedure done at Sloan Kettering to see if Melanoma had spread to my lungs.  That biopsy would confirm I was now stage 4.  As we know (Thanks Dr Google), statistics for stage 4 would give me about a 10% chance of still being here today.  I would have the lung mets go away on their own, only to have another tumor come back in my small intestine (May 2012).

Since then, I did Zelboraf, 4 doses of Ipi, and 2.5 years (41 doses) of Merck's Anti-PD1 Keytruda as part of a Phase 1 Clinical Trial.  I stopped that trial last May.  I continue to have stable scans (nothing new or growing).  They won't claim NED since I have swollen lymph nodes in my abdomen.  Those aren't easy to biopsy but they are pretty sure are dead disease.

Anyway, just wanted to share some good news.  Slowly trying to catch up a little on these forums!  (now that I don't travel full time for work).

Thanks,
      Erin

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        gregor913
        Participant
          That is fantastic news. I was having a off day emotionally. But this makes me feel like there is hope.
          Cheers greg
          gregor913
          Participant
            That is fantastic news. I was having a off day emotionally. But this makes me feel like there is hope.
            Cheers greg
              Erinmay22
              Participant

Sorry for the emotional day.  Good days and great days, right?  Hang in there!

Erinmay22
                Participant

Erinmay22
                  Participant

gregor913
                  Participant
                    Cheers greg
                    jennunicorn
                    Participant

Always glad to hear positive news! Congrats!

jennunicorn
                      Participant

jennunicorn
                        Participant

Maria C
                          Participant

Thanks so much for sharing, Erin, and the link to your blog. For those of us who are new to all this (Dx + MPIP), it's extremely helpful & hopeful to read success stories. Congratulations on your good news!!!

I also found your post "Get Busy Living!" especially relevant right now, as I'm currently dealing with a bout of pneumonitis (grade 2) as well as fatigue, etc. I am trying to get used to my new reality, as it looks like I aged 20 years in the last month (grey eyebrows, grey eyelashes, thinning hair….). Your post talks about your hair growing back, so there's hope on the cosmetic level too ๐Ÿ™‚ As soon as this breathing clears up I plan to "get busy living" again – but with a forever-changed face/body…

Re; the NED claim … from what I am learning (getting my head around) is that immunotherapy treatment doesn't work like chemo when it comes to the scans, because as you point out dead tissue in melanoma scans may camouflage a true "NED" result? And unlike standard chemo that kills the cancer cells outright and allows survivors to get on with their futures when remission is declared, melanoma is relentlessly unpredictable and NED or NED-like scans are just a rest step in a long & tumultous journey…. 

Does that sound right??

Erinmay22
                              Participant

Maria – Glad you enjoyed that post.  Does sound about right.  There is lots of talk of this being treated more like a manageable disease than a cure or NED/Remission status.  Guess we'll take it?  Doesn't help with the fear.  But these immunotherapies are still so new… maybe over time they will be able to prove durable long term responses and claim NED?  But at least we seem to be heading in the right direction?

Erinmay22
                                Participant

Maria – Glad you enjoyed that post.  Does sound about right.  There is lots of talk of this being treated more like a manageable disease than a cure or NED/Remission status.  Guess we'll take it?  Doesn't help with the fear.  But these immunotherapies are still so new… maybe over time they will be able to prove durable long term responses and claim NED?  But at least we seem to be heading in the right direction?

tschmith
                                  Participant

Hi Erin!

I'm in the same boat as you…not technically NED because of a couple of small spots in my abdomen that have showed no uptake on my last two PETs. I was taken off Keytruda in June of 2015 (after a year) and so far so good!  Melanoma had made it's home in my brain, lungs, spine and more.  I can say that I'm thrilled and am marveling at the miracle of immunotherapy.  Have a lot of hope that in the future we will look back and see many durable responses.  Yes, I think we're heading in the right direction for those of us battling cancer!

Terrie

tschmith
                                    Participant

Hi Erin!

I'm in the same boat as you…not technically NED because of a couple of small spots in my abdomen that have showed no uptake on my last two PETs. I was taken off Keytruda in June of 2015 (after a year) and so far so good!  Melanoma had made it's home in my brain, lungs, spine and more.  I can say that I'm thrilled and am marveling at the miracle of immunotherapy.  Have a lot of hope that in the future we will look back and see many durable responses.  Yes, I think we're heading in the right direction for those of us battling cancer!

Terrie

tschmith
                                      Participant

Hi Erin!

Terrie

Erinmay22
                                        Participant

Maria C
                                        Participant

Thanks so much for sharing, Erin, and the link to your blog. For those of us who are new to all this (Dx + MPIP), it's extremely helpful & hopeful to read success stories. Congratulations on your good news!!!

I also found your post "Get Busy Living!" especially relevant right now, as I'm currently dealing with a bout of pneumonitis (grade 2) as well as fatigue, etc. I am trying to get used to my new reality, as it looks like I aged 20 years in the last month (grey eyebrows, grey eyelashes, thinning hair….). Your post talks about your hair growing back, so there's hope on the cosmetic level too ๐Ÿ™‚ As soon as this breathing clears up I plan to "get busy living" again – but with a forever-changed face/body…

Re; the NED claim … from what I am learning (getting my head around) is that immunotherapy treatment doesn't work like chemo when it comes to the scans, because as you point out dead tissue in melanoma scans may camouflage a true "NED" result? And unlike standard chemo that kills the cancer cells outright and allows survivors to get on with their futures when remission is declared, melanoma is relentlessly unpredictable and NED or NED-like scans are just a rest step in a long & tumultous journey…. 

Does that sound right??

Maria C
                                          Participant

Does that sound right??

Becky
                                            Participant

That is so great! I remember reading your blog when my son was going through treatment…interestingly enough he has moved to NYC from California since then but continues to be NED!

Becky
                                              Participant

That is so great! I remember reading your blog when my son was going through treatment…interestingly enough he has moved to NYC from California since then but continues to be NED!

Erinmay22
                                                  Participant

Becky – sounds like you're son has done well also – that's amazing!  I'm sure it was tough to have him move from CA to NYC! 

Erinmay22
                                                    Participant

Becky – sounds like you're son has done well also – that's amazing!  I'm sure it was tough to have him move from CA to NYC! 

Erinmay22
                                                      Participant

Becky
                                                      Participant

jenny22
                                                        Participant

Hi Erin-

GREAT to read your news….and though I am 3B ( not IV) , I still do an awful lot of worryng, so these are terrific to see.

Once again, many congrats!!!!!

Best,

Jenny

jenny22
                                                          Participant

Hi Erin-

GREAT to read your news….and though I am 3B ( not IV) , I still do an awful lot of worryng, so these are terrific to see.

Best,

Jenny

jenny22
                                                            Participant

Hi Erin-

Best,

Jenny

Erinmay22
                                                                Participant

Jenny – Thanks!  Honestly, I don't think the worrying ever goes away… it just gets a little easier? 

Erinmay22
                                                                  Participant

Jenny – Thanks!  Honestly, I don't think the worrying ever goes away… it just gets a little easier? 

Erinmay22
                                                                    Participant

melj
                                                                    Participant

Hi Erin, this is excellent news. As someone who started the Keytruda ( pembrolizumab ) journey in January it's great to hear success stories. 

Mel J

melj
                                                                      Participant

Hi Erin, this is excellent news. As someone who started the Keytruda ( pembrolizumab ) journey in January it's great to hear success stories. 

Mel J

vivian
                                                                          Participant

Hi Erin!

Great to hear from you – and with such positive news!  You might remember that you and I were diagnosed at about the same time, with pretty similar primaries.  (IIIa for me).  I have been stage 4 for four years.  Became IIIc with an intransit in 2012, followed by first lung met in 2012, second in 2014, third in 2015.  Had two VATS wedge resections and very recently, Cyberknife for the last one.  I don't know yet whether it is gone/dead/ whatever they call if, but I feel wonderful and very fortunate to be here and well in 2016!  So far I haven't had any systemic treatment, but when that happens, I hope to follow in your footsteps!

Best regards,

Lear

vivian
                                                                            Participant

Hi Erin!

Great to hear from you – and with such positive news!  You might remember that you and I were diagnosed at about the same time, with pretty similar primaries.  (IIIa for me).  I have been stage 4 for four years.  Became IIIc with an intransit in 2012, followed by first lung met in 2012, second in 2014, third in 2015.  Had two VATS wedge resections and very recently, Cyberknife for the last one.  I don't know yet whether it is gone/dead/ whatever they call if, but I feel wonderful and very fortunate to be here and well in 2016!  So far I haven't had any systemic treatment, but when that happens, I hope to follow in your footsteps!

Best regards,

Lear

vivian
                                                                              Participant

Hi Erin!

Best regards,

Lear

Erinmay22
                                                                                Participant

Lear – yes!  I remember…  I always think if they can cut it out great!  I was forced in to systemic treatment because I had tumors in places they couldn't (at least easily) remove.  But nice to know these options are out there for you!

Erinmay22
                                                                                  Participant

Lear – yes!  I remember…  I always think if they can cut it out great!  I was forced in to systemic treatment because I had tumors in places they couldn't (at least easily) remove.  But nice to know these options are out there for you!

Erinmay22
                                                                                    Participant

melj
                                                                                    Participant

Mel J

Bubbles
                                                                                      Participant

Congrats! That's wonderful! Celeste

Bubbles
                                                                                        Participant

Bubbles
                                                                                          Participant

stevecathy
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              Thanks for sharing! Congratulations, and thank you for giving hope. Best wishes ! Blessings
                                                                                              stevecathy
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                Thanks for sharing! Congratulations, and thank you for giving hope. Best wishes ! Blessings
                                                                                                stevecathy
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                  BrianP
                                                                                                  Participant

Congrats Erin!  Glad to hear you are doing so well.  If you remember, you and I have been on similar paths.  I still have a couple adominal nodes as well but they've been stable for 2 years.  I've been off treatment for nearly 7 months. 

Brian

BrianP
                                                                                                    Participant

Congrats Erin!  Glad to hear you are doing so well.  If you remember, you and I have been on similar paths.  I still have a couple adominal nodes as well but they've been stable for 2 years.  I've been off treatment for nearly 7 months. 

Brian

BrianP
                                                                                                      Participant

Brian

Erinmay22
                                                                                                          Participant

Brian!  Yes, I remember.  Glad to hear you've been stable also!  and sounds like we continue to have similiar paths ๐Ÿ™‚  Have a fabulous weekend!

Brendan
                                                                                                            Participant

Great news, Erin.  Thanks for sharing. I'm 6 months behind you.  Good luck!

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                                                              Participant

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                                                                Participant

Brendan

Erinmay22
                                                                                                                  Participant

Brian!  Yes, I remember.  Glad to hear you've been stable also!  and sounds like we continue to have similiar paths ๐Ÿ™‚  Have a fabulous weekend!

Erinmay22
                                                                                                                    Participant

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics