The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

5 Years NED

Forums General Melanoma Community 5 Years NED

Participant

5 years ago, just before his 21st birthday my son Ben was diagnosed with melanoma. His was a very rare oral melanoma ( on his tongue) that had spread to one lymph node. He did a year of interferon during his senior year of college.

Yesterdays petscan showed NED! Feeling very relieved.

I share this in part to give others hope. Oral melanoma tends be be very aggressive with a grim prognosis. I know, in the melanoma world, 5 years does not mean cured, but I feel like it is a huge milestone.

I am so grateful to this board and those that have given support .There are probably a lot of people who never post, but read to gather information and feel connected.

Keep on fighting

Becky

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Phil S
        Participant

Becky,  I am thrilled to see this post on your son.  I remember the "old days" when Ben was doing interferon, my husband was a little behind him.  Phil was diagnosed 4 1/2 years ago with another form of mucosal melanoma but also weathered the year of interferon.  So I always look for your posts and hope so much to hear continued good news on Ben.  Didn't he move to the East coast for a job, really moving on with his life, it's great to hear the positive stories!  All the best to your family, Valerie (Phil's wife)

Phil S
          Participant

Becky,  I am thrilled to see this post on your son.  I remember the "old days" when Ben was doing interferon, my husband was a little behind him.  Phil was diagnosed 4 1/2 years ago with another form of mucosal melanoma but also weathered the year of interferon.  So I always look for your posts and hope so much to hear continued good news on Ben.  Didn't he move to the East coast for a job, really moving on with his life, it's great to hear the positive stories!  All the best to your family, Valerie (Phil's wife)

Phil S
            Participant

lbkimball
              Participant

Fantastic news! Congrats to you and your son! It's hard enough having cancer as a parent, can't fathom my child dealing with it. It must have been a dreadful time for you – what a relief to know it's behind you.

laura – stage IV metastic melanoma with lots of brain mets

lbkimball
                Participant

Fantastic news! Congrats to you and your son! It's hard enough having cancer as a parent, can't fathom my child dealing with it. It must have been a dreadful time for you – what a relief to know it's behind you.

lbkimball
                  Participant

BrianP
                    Participant

Great news Becky.  Thanks for sharing.

Becky
                        Participant

Thanks everyone

Yes, Valerie ,he moved 3000 miles away (insert sad Mom face) to NYC and is about to start his first year of teaching high school math for an inner city school. He just went off our insurance and so hopefully can find a good oncologist there. His doctor here (not a melanoma speicalsit) said no more scans unless there are symptoms. This makes me nervous and him happy.

I rememeber your husband also has mucosal melanoma and did interferon. Wishing you the best as well

Becky
                          Participant

Thanks everyone

Yes, Valerie ,he moved 3000 miles away (insert sad Mom face) to NYC and is about to start his first year of teaching high school math for an inner city school. He just went off our insurance and so hopefully can find a good oncologist there. His doctor here (not a melanoma speicalsit) said no more scans unless there are symptoms. This makes me nervous and him happy.

I rememeber your husband also has mucosal melanoma and did interferon. Wishing you the best as well

Becky
                            Participant

Thanks everyone

BrianP
                            Participant

BrianP
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics