The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

5 Year NED-iversary this week… stage IV

Forums General Melanoma Community 5 Year NED-iversary this week… stage IV

Participant

I was treated in 2007 with 10 rounds of Temodar and had a full, durable response. I feel very grateful to all those who answered my questions here and my heart goes out to those who are struggling with active disease. I have been lucky beyond measure, thus far. Hope does increase as time goes by and one even finds onesself making plans for the future…

I was treated in 2007 with 10 rounds of Temodar and had a full, durable response. I feel very grateful to all those who answered my questions here and my heart goes out to those who are struggling with active disease. I have been lucky beyond measure, thus far. Hope does increase as time goes by and one even finds onesself making plans for the future…

Though nothing can dampen my joy over my long term NED status, I wanted to include some of my struggles with keeping my medical coverage as a warning to others who may face similar obstacles. At 3 years on Social Security disability ( which gave me medicaid/ medicare coverage since I had no insurance), I was sent re-determination papers. I was turned down based on medical improvement. I appealed this decision based on the fact that I had some lingering issues that made full time work difficult and the fact that one needs to be continuously monitored at stage IV of this disease. Though I had letters from my oncologist, former employer, all my records, etc and a lawyer, I lost my case after what stretched into a 2 year ordeal. Now, Social Security wants me to pay back two years worth of benefits. I have filled out a waiver form about this and am waiting on a decision.

So, after loosing my only medical coverage, I decided to leave Montana and that I would move to Oregon,( where I had lived 15 years ago) because I understood that low to moderate income Oregonians were entitled to universal health care under the Oregon Health Plan. I discovered, after quite a process, this is no longer the case and very few single adults are eligible for medicaid.

Then, I returned to Montana where I decided to re-enroll as a University student so I could buy the health insurance offered to students ( which had recently increased 120% for those over 40). I come to find out that Blue Cross/Blue shield, the University provider refuses to cover any bills for a pre-existing condition if there has been a gap in coverage since the last  coverage (I had lost the the medicaid, medicare  less than 4 months ago).

I hope no one else runs into the obstacles I have and I wish everyone here the right to compassionate, fair medical coverage. However, I mostly wish everyone here a glimmer of hope…Some of us, for some reason, are still here after 5 years of being declared NED of stage IV melanoma. Though, some well meaning folks who are not well versed on this disease might think this means one is cured,we know all too well about the dark cloud of our prognosis. However, one may surprise oneself just how much living one can squeeze in even under such conditions of limbo. I wish everyone here the very best and I send my deepest sympathies to those who have lost loved ones.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

Happy NEDiversary  Nancy, Needed a upbeat post just about now.Too many sad posts lately.Great that your melanoma is as I like to think dormant.May it be dormant forever.With extraordinary doctors and advances in medicine along with Gods help and a PMA (postive mind attitude) hope to read of many ,many upcoming NEDversiaries. Beat the Beast. Al

aldakota22
          Participant

Happy NEDiversary  Nancy, Needed a upbeat post just about now.Too many sad posts lately.Great that your melanoma is as I like to think dormant.May it be dormant forever.With extraordinary doctors and advances in medicine along with Gods help and a PMA (postive mind attitude) hope to read of many ,many upcoming NEDversiaries. Beat the Beast. Al

aldakota22
            Participant

Josh
              Participant

Hot diggity, Nancy! Here's to five more (and many many more after that)!

Josh

Josh
                Participant

Josh

Josh
                  Participant

Josh

scots
                    Participant
                      Congrats on 5 years.

Scot

scots
                      Participant
                        Congrats on 5 years.

Scot

scots
                        Participant
                          Congrats on 5 years.

Scot

King
                          Participant

Nancy,

Congratulations!  I hope you are celebrating this milestone.  I'm sorry that you have dealt with so many issues re: Medical insurance.

I love your profile pic (and the dogs, of course).

Take care of yourself.

Stay Strong
                            King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

King
                            Participant

Nancy,

Congratulations!  I hope you are celebrating this milestone.  I'm sorry that you have dealt with so many issues re: Medical insurance.

Take care of yourself.

Stay Strong
                              King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

King
                              Participant

Nancy,

Take care of yourself.

Stay Strong
                                King

Stage IV 7/05 Liver mets

lou2
                                Participant

I realize it won't help you this year, but next year the insurance exchanges will be in place and they will have to cover people with pre-existing conditions.  Courtesy of Obamacare.

lou2
                                  Participant

I realize it won't help you this year, but next year the insurance exchanges will be in place and they will have to cover people with pre-existing conditions.  Courtesy of Obamacare.

lou2
                                    Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics