The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

4th round biochemo

Forums General Melanoma Community 4th round biochemo

Participant

Have to decide tonight on 4th round. Have (2) un resectable tumors near clavicle and vein. Tumors have not shrunk but have not grown. PET activity has lowered but not gone away. No direct evidence of 4th round extending overall life expectancy. Struggling with decision. Talked to surgeon he is debating doing exploratory surgery to look at where tumors are to see if he can get to them without nicking vein or nerve. Looking to see if any one has had similar experiance and what they did. Thanks

Have to decide tonight on 4th round. Have (2) un resectable tumors near clavicle and vein. Tumors have not shrunk but have not grown. PET activity has lowered but not gone away. No direct evidence of 4th round extending overall life expectancy. Struggling with decision. Talked to surgeon he is debating doing exploratory surgery to look at where tumors are to see if he can get to them without nicking vein or nerve. Looking to see if any one has had similar experiance and what they did. Thanks

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        jag
        Participant

Oofah, I was dumb enought to be talked into 6 rounds of that crap.  90% of my tumors shrank after first 2 rounds on scan, then they stayed the same and stabilized.  My doctor wanted me to have surgery to have the remaining tumor tissue removed as it appeared stable at that time.  I held off as it would have meant removing my whole left lung, got interleukin 2 (4 rounds) and then got a full pneumonectomy.  Thinking back on it, if I had gone after the remaining tumor earlier, I probably would have avoided what was to come (6 more brain surgeries).  Find a surgeon who is very confident that he/she can get it out, and then see  microscopically what the tumors appear to be doing (immune system attack vs responding to chemotherapy).

(That would be my approach anyway). 

Best wishes and good luck.

John

thrashter
            Participant

thanks I am leaning the way of surgery instead of 4th round. Think my surgeon will at least open me up and explore still better than the biochemo. Thanks for the reply it all helps

thrashter
              Participant

thanks I am leaning the way of surgery instead of 4th round. Think my surgeon will at least open me up and explore still better than the biochemo. Thanks for the reply it all helps

thrashter
                Participant

jag
                Participant

Oofah, I was dumb enought to be talked into 6 rounds of that crap.  90% of my tumors shrank after first 2 rounds on scan, then they stayed the same and stabilized.  My doctor wanted me to have surgery to have the remaining tumor tissue removed as it appeared stable at that time.  I held off as it would have meant removing my whole left lung, got interleukin 2 (4 rounds) and then got a full pneumonectomy.  Thinking back on it, if I had gone after the remaining tumor earlier, I probably would have avoided what was to come (6 more brain surgeries).  Find a surgeon who is very confident that he/she can get it out, and then see  microscopically what the tumors appear to be doing (immune system attack vs responding to chemotherapy).

John

jag
                  Participant

John

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics