The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

4 years cancer free

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community 4 years cancer free

Participant

Hi everyone, just checking in, I was diagnosed on December 16th, 2011 with Choroidal Melanoma, enucleation of my right eye was performed on December 22nd, 2011. I have not been sick since. Just a message of hope for anyone who is newly diagnosed.  

I made a mistake after learning about the cancer,  I made an identity of myself as a cancer patient, and a survivor. I would say be careful of this, it gave me an excuse to play the victim role, which is not heathy. I am not a victim of anything, and I mean ANYTHING. I will not go into further detail about this part unless someone would like to talk to me about it.

My only other regret, (using the word regret for lack of a better term), would be rushing to a decision to remove the eye. The great team at Wills Eye Institute in Philadelphia Pa. were wonderful. They educated me on all of my options, and made it clear that the survival rate was basically the same whether removed the eye, or treated and killed the cancer with radiation.

My ocularist did a great job with the prosthetic eye, it looks great. The only problem is in 4 years, it has never ceased to annoy the hell out of me, Lol. I have tried every possible remedy, but it weeps and the discharge is slimey, then it hardens on the prothesis, making it painful to even blink. Hahaha, oh poor me right? I know, but I sometimes wonder, had I kept the real eye, it may have been better for me.

Anyway, all is well, and if you recently had an eye removed, don't worry, you mind will adjust your vision in a short while, and you will actually park your car all the way in the parking zone again.  And be careful at buffets, I knocked a few trays out of peoples hands because of my blind side, Haha it was classic to see their expressions !

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jahendry12
        Participant

Thanks for sharing this information. I'm sure folks with this particular Melanoma will benefit from this update. Congrats – so happy for you!

Jahendry12
          Participant

Thanks for sharing this information. I'm sure folks with this particular Melanoma will benefit from this update. Congrats – so happy for you!

Jahendry12
            Participant

Becky
              Participant

There will always be regrets…second guesses…when it comes to treatments. No matter what our decisions are. Congrtas on 4 years cancer free!! So great!

Becky
                Participant

There will always be regrets…second guesses…when it comes to treatments. No matter what our decisions are. Congrtas on 4 years cancer free!! So great!

Becky
                  Participant

jbronicki
                    Participant

Congratulations!  Always nice to see these type of statistics!

jbronicki
                      Participant

jbronicki
                        Participant

Meli.Will
                          Participant

Congratulations Tom, that's wonderful news.

Meli.Will
                            Participant

Meli.Will
                              Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics