The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

3a First round of scans at MD nervous!

Forums General Melanoma Community 3a First round of scans at MD nervous!

Participant

This will be my first 3 month follow up scans and my first time to do scans at MD Anderson. It would be an understatement to say that I am nervous. Praying I made the right choice with wait and watch and the scans are clear. Does this scan process ever get any easier???

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        jenny22
        Participant

Iskitwo-

Wanted to wish you good luck on your scans…..

Regarding your question on "do they ever get any easier"???…..I am not really sure…i assume as time goes on, and the further out from ones diagnosis,  they do….though I still have  "scanxiety"….I have my next round of scans coming up in Feb…..and i am thinking them already….

Best of luck on yours…..

jenny22
          Participant

Iskitwo-

Regarding your question on "do they ever get any easier"???…..I am not really sure…i assume as time goes on, and the further out from ones diagnosis,  they do….though I still have  "scanxiety"….I have my next round of scans coming up in Feb…..and i am thinking them already….

Best of luck on yours…..

jenny22
            Participant

Iskitwo-

Best of luck on yours…..

iskitwo
                Participant

Best wishes for you too in Feb. I am trying to take it a day at a time and enjoy every moment in between but some days are hard!! 

iskitwo
                  Participant

Best wishes for you too in Feb. I am trying to take it a day at a time and enjoy every moment in between but some days are hard!! 

iskitwo
                    Participant

Aloha14
                    Participant

Good luck with your scans. I've just finished surgery and the baseline scans  I think 3 months out I'm only scheduled for ultrasound for groin lymph nodes but will be checking with my surgeon soon.  Which scans are you scheduled to have?

I hope the scans get easier, both from worry about finding something to actually going in the machine, as I'm clausterphobic. 

Aloha14
                      Participant

Good luck with your scans. I've just finished surgery and the baseline scans  I think 3 months out I'm only scheduled for ultrasound for groin lymph nodes but will be checking with my surgeon soon.  Which scans are you scheduled to have?

I hope the scans get easier, both from worry about finding something to actually going in the machine, as I'm clausterphobic. 

iskitwo
                          Participant

Thank you! I am scheduled for a CT and brain MRI. The brain MRI will be my first. I had a CT and the PET 3 months ago when I was first diagnosed. Wishing you the best!

iskitwo
                            Participant

Thank you! I am scheduled for a CT and brain MRI. The brain MRI will be my first. I had a CT and the PET 3 months ago when I was first diagnosed. Wishing you the best!

iskitwo
                              Participant

Aloha14
                              Participant

jennunicorn
                                Participant

Some level of scanxiety will always be there, it's just human of us to be a little nervous since we have no clue what's going on inside. But, over time I do feel it gets easier. I have my PET/CT tomorrow, first one since I had a recurrence in Sept and first since I started Ipi/Nivo combo, but it's my 5th total. Gotta say, I'm a little nervous, but I don't let it overwhelm me. I always go out to a nice lunch afterward since the fasting part makes me so hungry, so I focus on that the day of the scan. 

The brain MRI is my least favorite scan, I've had 2 of those, so if you have any level of claustrophobia I would ask your doc for a couple anti anxiety pills to help you relax. I always need them for the brain MRI.

Best of luck with your scans! Can't wait to hear they're all clear πŸ™‚

iskitwo
                                    Participant

Prayers that you get great news from your scans too!!

iskitwo
                                      Participant

iskitwo
                                        Participant

jennunicorn
                                          Participant

Thank you!

jennunicorn
                                            Participant

Thank you!

jennunicorn
                                              Participant

Thank you!

jennunicorn
                                              Participant

Some level of scanxiety will always be there, it's just human of us to be a little nervous since we have no clue what's going on inside. But, over time I do feel it gets easier. I have my PET/CT tomorrow, first one since I had a recurrence in Sept and first since I started Ipi/Nivo combo, but it's my 5th total. Gotta say, I'm a little nervous, but I don't let it overwhelm me. I always go out to a nice lunch afterward since the fasting part makes me so hungry, so I focus on that the day of the scan. 

The brain MRI is my least favorite scan, I've had 2 of those, so if you have any level of claustrophobia I would ask your doc for a couple anti anxiety pills to help you relax. I always need them for the brain MRI.

jennunicorn
                                                Participant

Christinad
                                                  Participant

I am 3a also. Diagnosed in December 2014. I had a PET scan and brain MRI for initial staging, but have opted not to do f/u scans unless I have symptoms. My oncologist has agreed to this plan. The torture of waiting for results is too much for me. I admire your courage. Good luck on your upcoming scans  

Christinad
                                                    Participant

I am 3a also. Diagnosed in December 2014. I had a PET scan and brain MRI for initial staging, but have opted not to do f/u scans unless I have symptoms. My oncologist has agreed to this plan. The torture of waiting for results is too much for me. I admire your courage. Good luck on your upcoming scans  

Christinad
                                                      Participant

jennunicorn
                                                          Participant

I commend you for your bravery in not getting any scans… 

Just want to make sure you do know that the majority of people who end up in Stage 4 never had symptoms, they only found out about tumor spread because of a routine scan.

Sometimes by the time someone has symptoms, it could be quite advanced. 

Very risky not to get any scans. Wishing you good health.

jennunicorn
                                                            Participant

Just want to make sure you do know that the majority of people who end up in Stage 4 never had symptoms, they only found out about tumor spread because of a routine scan.

Christinad
                                                              Participant

I was torn for a long time deciding whether or not to get routine scans.  Having worked as an oncology nurse, I watched some of my patients progress from stages 1-4. Some were diagnosed incidentally by scan with no symptoms and some diagnosed because of symptoms that led to a scan. Either way the outcome was similar.  I don't know what the right answer is, but I know what's right for me and we all have to battle this journey in our own way. I pray everyday I'm making the right choice πŸ™

Christinad
                                                                Participant

I was torn for a long time deciding whether or not to get routine scans.  Having worked as an oncology nurse, I watched some of my patients progress from stages 1-4. Some were diagnosed incidentally by scan with no symptoms and some diagnosed because of symptoms that led to a scan. Either way the outcome was similar.  I don't know what the right answer is, but I know what's right for me and we all have to battle this journey in our own way. I pray everyday I'm making the right choice πŸ™

iskitwo
                                                                  Participant

Thanks for your point of view. I think you are right, you have to do what works best for YOU. 

iskitwo
                                                                    Participant

Thanks for your point of view. I think you are right, you have to do what works best for YOU. 

iskitwo
                                                                      Participant

Christinad
                                                                        Participant

Good luck with your scan results. Wishing you the best πŸ™‚

Christinad
                                                                          Participant

Christinad
                                                                            Participant

Christinad
                                                                              Participant

jennunicorn
                                                                                Participant

mjanssentx
                                                                                Participant

Iskitwo – a couple of ways to answer your question…does it get any easier?  So I am a 3A two plus year out from my diagnosis.  I get MRIs once a year (so a total of 3 now) and PET scans every 3 months (so something like 8 or 9 of them).

So the actual scan process does actually get easier over time.  You become familiar with the process and you know what is going to be done and how.  One really important tip I have learned for my PET scan is to bring a portable Bluetooth speaker so that I can listen to music during the hour or so after they give you the radioactive isotopes and during the actual scan process.  Since you need to be perfectly still for quite a long time, I go into "Zen" mode…not quite asleep listening to my favorite music.  (I use my phone connected to the Bluetooth speaker…which can be found on Amazon for $50-100)

What doesn't get dramatically easier is scanxiety.  It has gotten a bit better over the past year but taking my blood pressure right before I get the results with the oncologist is a completely worthless measure…way, way high.

Best wishes going forward

Michel

mjanssentx
                                                                                  Participant

Iskitwo – a couple of ways to answer your question…does it get any easier?  So I am a 3A two plus year out from my diagnosis.  I get MRIs once a year (so a total of 3 now) and PET scans every 3 months (so something like 8 or 9 of them).

So the actual scan process does actually get easier over time.  You become familiar with the process and you know what is going to be done and how.  One really important tip I have learned for my PET scan is to bring a portable Bluetooth speaker so that I can listen to music during the hour or so after they give you the radioactive isotopes and during the actual scan process.  Since you need to be perfectly still for quite a long time, I go into "Zen" mode…not quite asleep listening to my favorite music.  (I use my phone connected to the Bluetooth speaker…which can be found on Amazon for $50-100)

What doesn't get dramatically easier is scanxiety.  It has gotten a bit better over the past year but taking my blood pressure right before I get the results with the oncologist is a completely worthless measure…way, way high.

Michel

mjanssentx
                                                                                    Participant

Michel

Everymoment
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        Due to the number of scans I’ve had…..I have spent too much of my life waiting….I’m really trying to enjoy the days. It’s so freaking HARD!
                                                                                        Everymoment
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          Due to the number of scans I’ve had…..I have spent too much of my life waiting….I’m really trying to enjoy the days. It’s so freaking HARD!
                                                                                          Everymoment
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            sarah.brannon
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              I just had my sixth scan this morning. Even though at my last one I was declared cancer free, I was still anxious today. Less anxious than before, maybe, but it’s still a worry that they’re gonna find something. I hope it went well for you!!
                                                                                              sarah.brannon
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                I just had my sixth scan this morning. Even though at my last one I was declared cancer free, I was still anxious today. Less anxious than before, maybe, but it’s still a worry that they’re gonna find something. I hope it went well for you!!
                                                                                                sarah.brannon
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                              Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics