The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

32F Stage 1a

Forums General Melanoma Community 32F Stage 1a

Participant
      Just had a very unexpected result come back yesterday for the cancerous mole I had biopsied last week. While seemingly not uncommon, 32 feels young to be finding cancerous moles. Im going back later today for the excision, it was early enough that it’s all I’ll need done outside of 3 month check ups moving forward. This is all happening while my mom is experiencing also unexpected changes with her stage 4 lung cancer (diagnosed 2019, been overall healthy until recently), so this all feels pretty overwhelming at the moment.

Is there anyone else close to my age that has any advice? I initially went to the dermatologist for something unrelated so Im still feeling pretty caught off guard that I didnt even notice the mole on my shoulder was a concern.

Thanks so much!
      Brittany

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        JudiAU
        Participant
          I had my 2b removed at 41 when still nursing a baby and I felt very young. But was told I was not actually young at all for a first melanoma. Some areas of the world have had a big uptick in skin cancer and they are being diagnosed at younger ages. I really didn’t think I’d see him start K let alone start 5th grade. When I progressed to stage IV six years later I was considered young.
          LindsayS
          Participant
            Hi there!
            I had a stage 1a melanoma removed in March 2018 when my second child was almost a year old. I was very very shaken by the whole thing, and I too was dealing with my FIL having a stage 4 cancer diagnosis.
            My best advice is to keep up with your dermatologist checkups and be vigilant but not scared about monitoring your skin for changes. In the past 4 1/2 years I have had other moles removed which turned out benign, and this summer I just had an Actinic keratosis removed on my leg.
            Best of luck to you and prayers for your mom!
        Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics