The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

3 punch biopsies ugh

Forums General Melanoma Community 3 punch biopsies ugh

Participant

Went for my 6 month skin check and he did 3 punch biopsies.. one in my chest, one of the backside of my right arm and one on my back.. he said he didn't think they are melanoma but may be dysplastic nevis.. I've had 3 of those already along with a stage 1 melanoma on my left arm.. I really don't have a question just wanted to vent.. everyone on this board is having their own varying degrees of battle with melanoma.. I'm 6 months out and wondering when I can breathe and be happy again.. I'm thankful I only had a stage 1 and I'm praying for everyone on here.. but geez the anxiety is brutal!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        stars
        Participant

Hang in there, in the first year everyone gets a bit trigger happy with the biopsies etc, causing untold stress. Consider it a blessing that the biopsies are done, most likely clear and if not then incredibly early/thin on account of being just a few months old. My only advice is KEEP BUSY! Waiting for biopsies is the worst. BTW it took me about a year to find my feet again after stage 1, I'm an overthinker… a more 'rational' type would have been fine after hearing it was 'just' stage 1. Me, I thought the sky had fallen. We all react differently, dont' be hard on yourself.

Aubreesmommy41
            Participant

Thank you for responding.. yes I've walked around like I'm on borrowed time for 6 months and everything I see is melanoma.. I'm trying to be positive this time and very busy with work and a 9 month old.. I should know tomorrow or Friday.. you said you were like this for the first year.. have u had any complications.. any scares.. any biopsies and if so are you ok? I'm looking forward to the 2nd year and some peace.. 

stars
              Participant

I'm in my 40s so left it way too late to get my skin checked thoroughly …  as a result, it seemed for the first six month I visited the derm three times and every single time something was removed, and some of those were highly dysplastic so needed further skin removed. Just the stress of waiting for biopsies was awful, even when the results were ok. However, it was kind of a 14-year overdue catchup for someone who has sizzled in a very hot sunny climate since birth. At about the one year mark everything that did look dodgy had been removed, I went to two different doctors for second opinions/full skin checks and nothing more has been removed since. It really does settle down, but if you are a worrier like you and I (I also have young kids) then of course we torture ourselves with worry much more than we should.

Aubreesmommy41
                Participant

Thankfully out of the 3 only one came back as a dysplastic Nevis so I'm scheduled for a WLE on 12 21.. I was disappointed and relieved at the same time.. this will be the 4th dyplastic Nevis since April when the stage 1 was removed.. I'm 41 as well and never had skin checks.. also baked in the sun all my life.. so frustrating to think about.. do u mind if I ask you how long since your diagnosis?

stars
                  Participant

I'm only really a year out but a year makes all the difference. The first 9 months or so was awful, just one excision after another… I felt like I constantly had stitches from biopsies or wider excisions. Now it's a six-monthly thing and I know exactly what's on my skin so don't even really feel anxious about skin checks. Of course, anyone with melanoma has a corner of worry in their mind, but trust me, it does get better with time.

stars
                    Participant

I'm only really a year out but a year makes all the difference. The first 9 months or so was awful, just one excision after another… I felt like I constantly had stitches from biopsies or wider excisions. Now it's a six-monthly thing and I know exactly what's on my skin so don't even really feel anxious about skin checks. Of course, anyone with melanoma has a corner of worry in their mind, but trust me, it does get better with time.

stars
                      Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                        Participant

Thankfully out of the 3 only one came back as a dysplastic Nevis so I'm scheduled for a WLE on 12 21.. I was disappointed and relieved at the same time.. this will be the 4th dyplastic Nevis since April when the stage 1 was removed.. I'm 41 as well and never had skin checks.. also baked in the sun all my life.. so frustrating to think about.. do u mind if I ask you how long since your diagnosis?

Aubreesmommy41
                          Participant

stars
                            Participant

I'm in my 40s so left it way too late to get my skin checked thoroughly …  as a result, it seemed for the first six month I visited the derm three times and every single time something was removed, and some of those were highly dysplastic so needed further skin removed. Just the stress of waiting for biopsies was awful, even when the results were ok. However, it was kind of a 14-year overdue catchup for someone who has sizzled in a very hot sunny climate since birth. At about the one year mark everything that did look dodgy had been removed, I went to two different doctors for second opinions/full skin checks and nothing more has been removed since. It really does settle down, but if you are a worrier like you and I (I also have young kids) then of course we torture ourselves with worry much more than we should.

stars
                              Participant

Aubreesmommy41
                                Participant

Thank you for responding.. yes I've walked around like I'm on borrowed time for 6 months and everything I see is melanoma.. I'm trying to be positive this time and very busy with work and a 9 month old.. I should know tomorrow or Friday.. you said you were like this for the first year.. have u had any complications.. any scares.. any biopsies and if so are you ok? I'm looking forward to the 2nd year and some peace.. 

Aubreesmommy41
                                  Participant

stars
                                  Participant

Hang in there, in the first year everyone gets a bit trigger happy with the biopsies etc, causing untold stress. Consider it a blessing that the biopsies are done, most likely clear and if not then incredibly early/thin on account of being just a few months old. My only advice is KEEP BUSY! Waiting for biopsies is the worst. BTW it took me about a year to find my feet again after stage 1, I'm an overthinker… a more 'rational' type would have been fine after hearing it was 'just' stage 1. Me, I thought the sky had fallen. We all react differently, dont' be hard on yourself.

stars
                                    Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics