The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

2nd Yervoy Treatment today!

Forums General Melanoma Community 2nd Yervoy Treatment today!

Participant

Jackie had her 2nd Yervoy infusion today. This time we were able to arrange to have the Yervoy shipped in earlier, and had confirmation that it was in yesterday. So pretty much the same routine as last time, xray of the port, pre-medications for anti-nausea and allergic reactions, and then the Yervoy. The anti-allergic reaction medication makes Jackie sleepy, and she snoozed at the cancer center, and when she came home. So far the only noticeable side effect has been more fatigue than she typically has.

Jackie had her 2nd Yervoy infusion today. This time we were able to arrange to have the Yervoy shipped in earlier, and had confirmation that it was in yesterday. So pretty much the same routine as last time, xray of the port, pre-medications for anti-nausea and allergic reactions, and then the Yervoy. The anti-allergic reaction medication makes Jackie sleepy, and she snoozed at the cancer center, and when she came home. So far the only noticeable side effect has been more fatigue than she typically has. Praying that the Yervoy will shrink the melanoma tumors, and that she won't have any of the nasty side effects. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers!

Bruce and Jackie

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Theresa123
        Participant

God Bless you Jackie- I have been through two full rounds of epi and I have only minor side effects.  They say so far I have partial results.  Best results so far!!  The itching and fatigue are the worst.  You will hopefully do fine and respond completely!!!

Theresa123
          Participant

God Bless you Jackie- I have been through two full rounds of epi and I have only minor side effects.  They say so far I have partial results.  Best results so far!!  The itching and fatigue are the worst.  You will hopefully do fine and respond completely!!!

Theresa123
            Participant

bruski1959
                Participant

Hi Theresa,

God has definitely blessed Jackie! She/we have a lot of people praying for us, so we know that makes a huge difference :)You mentioned that you have partial results. Was wondering what that means? I have read that for most people they have a full amount of Yervoy in their system at the third infusion. Also we have heard that for people that will have more serious side effects at the 3rd or 4th Yervoy infusion. So far Jackie only had a little itching once between first and second Yervoy infusions, and it was alleviated after putting on some lotion. Mainly we notice that Jackie has more fatigue than she typically already has from her rare lung disease, LAM. Hope things continue to go well for you as well.

Thanks,

Bruce and Jackie

bruski1959
                  Participant

Hi Theresa,

God has definitely blessed Jackie! She/we have a lot of people praying for us, so we know that makes a huge difference :)You mentioned that you have partial results. Was wondering what that means? I have read that for most people they have a full amount of Yervoy in their system at the third infusion. Also we have heard that for people that will have more serious side effects at the 3rd or 4th Yervoy infusion. So far Jackie only had a little itching once between first and second Yervoy infusions, and it was alleviated after putting on some lotion. Mainly we notice that Jackie has more fatigue than she typically already has from her rare lung disease, LAM. Hope things continue to go well for you as well.

Thanks,

Bruce and Jackie

bruski1959
                    Participant

Hi Theresa,

Thanks,

Bruce and Jackie

Maxximom
                    Participant

Hi Bruce and Jackie. Glad all went smoothly with Jackie's second infusion. I always look forward to posts by those who are still getting Yervoy so I can see how they are responding to treatment and side effects. Jackie is about 2 weeks ahead of me.. I will have my second infusion on March 8. You gave me a heads up to check with my doctor on what if any pre med they would give me at the infusion. They did not give me any Benaldyl  but did give me a anti nausea med. I wasn't sleepy that way and driving home was not a issue. So far I have had no side effects..but it's only been 2 weeks..keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way. Wishing Jackie good luck

Joan

bruski1959
                        Participant

Hi Joan,

Jackie has been on Yervoy for 4 weeks now with infusion #1 on February 3rd, and infusion #2 on February 24th. Mainly Jackie is suffering from more fatigue. She has had some minor intestinal side effects, but so far nothing that has needed treatments. We found our her internist has also treatment Yervoy side effects along with her oncologist, as we got her into to see the internist earlier this week. Will get Jackie into see her pulmonolgist next week as she is a little more short of breath that she typically has from her rare lung diseaes, LAM. There was some pleural effusions seen on her January PET scan at the Mayo Clinic that were minimally FDG positive, so I am sure that can't be making it any easier for her to breathe. I think the pre-medications are just standard operating procedure at our cancer center for any treatment, not necessarily specific to Yervoy.

Jackie is scheduled for infusion #3 on March 16th.

Interestingly enough, we haven't seen the bill for our part of the two Yervoy treatments from our insurance company, not even an explanation of benefits. We were told how much it is supposed to be, but it would still be good to see it in writing. Not the biggest concern. Have seen some big bills from Mayo Clinic that were all covered except for a couple doctor's co-pays. And some big bills locally for expenses related to having her port put in. Jackie is getting weekly blood draws via her port. So they are keeping a pretty close eye on her.  

Keep us posted on how you are doing too.

Thanks,

Bruce and Jackie

Maxximom
                          Participant

Glad to hear from you again about Jackie's progress. It must be so hard to be battling two diseases at once, Jackie's LAM and Melanoma..I am sure half the time you must be wondering which disease is causing which symtom.It sounds like both your Oncologist and Internist are on top of things.So far I still have no side effects from the first infusion and I go for Ippi #2 on Thursday..I of course will be on the lookout for any side effects. I always feel like I am sitting on a keg of dynamite with every little ache or pain..but I expect that that is a permanent way of life from now on. Hoping Jackie continues to do well and that her shortness of breath quickly is resolved.Insurance is a funny thing..sometimes it takes forever for billing to come through.I received bills from doctors more than a year after my Husbands death..although Medicare covered them..it seemed crazy that it would take so long to bill and receiving so late made me so sad and upset  it made it difficult for me in trying to go on with my life after almost 60 years of marriage.Keep me updated on Jackie's progress

Joan

Maxximom
                            Participant

Glad to hear from you again about Jackie's progress. It must be so hard to be battling two diseases at once, Jackie's LAM and Melanoma..I am sure half the time you must be wondering which disease is causing which symtom.It sounds like both your Oncologist and Internist are on top of things.So far I still have no side effects from the first infusion and I go for Ippi #2 on Thursday..I of course will be on the lookout for any side effects. I always feel like I am sitting on a keg of dynamite with every little ache or pain..but I expect that that is a permanent way of life from now on. Hoping Jackie continues to do well and that her shortness of breath quickly is resolved.Insurance is a funny thing..sometimes it takes forever for billing to come through.I received bills from doctors more than a year after my Husbands death..although Medicare covered them..it seemed crazy that it would take so long to bill and receiving so late made me so sad and upset  it made it difficult for me in trying to go on with my life after almost 60 years of marriage.Keep me updated on Jackie's progress

Joan

Maxximom
                              Participant

Joan

Maxximom
                                Participant

Joan

Maxximom
                                  Participant

Joan

bruski1959
                                    Participant

Jackie has been having mild to moderate side effects the last day or so. The countermeasures seem to be effective so far. Jackie didn't get a lot of rest this morning, so she has been catching up on rest most of the day. Please pray that the side effects continue to be mild to moderate, that the countermeasures continue to be effective, and the Yervoy shrinks the melanoma tumors to point of No Evidence of Disease.

Thanks,

Bruce and Jackie

bruski1959
                                      Participant

Jackie has been having mild to moderate side effects the last day or so. The countermeasures seem to be effective so far. Jackie didn't get a lot of rest this morning, so she has been catching up on rest most of the day. Please pray that the side effects continue to be mild to moderate, that the countermeasures continue to be effective, and the Yervoy shrinks the melanoma tumors to point of No Evidence of Disease.

Thanks,

Bruce and Jackie

bruski1959
                                        Participant

The last 6 days since Jackie's 2nd Yervoy infusion have been quite challenging. We did what we could to keep her out of the hospital. Last Friday she started having some abdominal discomfort. Started having intestinal side effects Saturday, and we switched her to clear liquids. Then to bland diet, and back and forth between clear liquids and bland diet. Tuesday night we took her to ER on oncologist advice. Had to get her IV fluids, IV anti-nausea med, and IV potassium, as she was very low on potassium. Yesterday we started Jackie on high dose steroids and potassium in pill form. She has responded pretty well to this, but had a little trouble resting last night even with a strong sleep aid. Today she took her steroids with breakfast, so hopefully it will not wire her up so much this evening, so she can rest better. At this point, we have postponed her 3rd Yervoy treatment scheduled on March 16th. A lady who has the same lung disease  as Jackie let me know today that her daughter-in-law was not able to continue with 3rd or 4th Yervoy treatments due to the side effects. She has had to stay on high dose steroids and a bland diet, but her liver tumors have been shrinking, so the Yervoy has modified her immune system and it continues to fight the melanoma. Guess we weren't exactly expecting the side effects after the 2nd Yervoy treatment, so it was a bit of a surprise, but we were prepared, and stayed in communication with the oncology team to manage Jackie's side effects. Everybody reacts differently I guess is the take away for the time being. Seems that the steroids are doing their job to tap the brakes on the Yervoy so to speak. Stay tuned for updates. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers!

Thanks,
                                          Bruce and Jackie

bruski1959
                                          Participant

The last 6 days since Jackie's 2nd Yervoy infusion have been quite challenging. We did what we could to keep her out of the hospital. Last Friday she started having some abdominal discomfort. Started having intestinal side effects Saturday, and we switched her to clear liquids. Then to bland diet, and back and forth between clear liquids and bland diet. Tuesday night we took her to ER on oncologist advice. Had to get her IV fluids, IV anti-nausea med, and IV potassium, as she was very low on potassium. Yesterday we started Jackie on high dose steroids and potassium in pill form. She has responded pretty well to this, but had a little trouble resting last night even with a strong sleep aid. Today she took her steroids with breakfast, so hopefully it will not wire her up so much this evening, so she can rest better. At this point, we have postponed her 3rd Yervoy treatment scheduled on March 16th. A lady who has the same lung disease  as Jackie let me know today that her daughter-in-law was not able to continue with 3rd or 4th Yervoy treatments due to the side effects. She has had to stay on high dose steroids and a bland diet, but her liver tumors have been shrinking, so the Yervoy has modified her immune system and it continues to fight the melanoma. Guess we weren't exactly expecting the side effects after the 2nd Yervoy treatment, so it was a bit of a surprise, but we were prepared, and stayed in communication with the oncology team to manage Jackie's side effects. Everybody reacts differently I guess is the take away for the time being. Seems that the steroids are doing their job to tap the brakes on the Yervoy so to speak. Stay tuned for updates. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers!

Thanks,
                                            Bruce and Jackie

bruski1959
                                            Participant

Thanks,
                                              Bruce and Jackie

bruski1959
                                              Participant

Thanks,

Bruce and Jackie

Maxximom
                                                Participant

Joan

bruski1959
                                                  Participant

Hi Joan,

Jackie has been on Yervoy for 4 weeks now with infusion #1 on February 3rd, and infusion #2 on February 24th. Mainly Jackie is suffering from more fatigue. She has had some minor intestinal side effects, but so far nothing that has needed treatments. We found our her internist has also treatment Yervoy side effects along with her oncologist, as we got her into to see the internist earlier this week. Will get Jackie into see her pulmonolgist next week as she is a little more short of breath that she typically has from her rare lung diseaes, LAM. There was some pleural effusions seen on her January PET scan at the Mayo Clinic that were minimally FDG positive, so I am sure that can't be making it any easier for her to breathe. I think the pre-medications are just standard operating procedure at our cancer center for any treatment, not necessarily specific to Yervoy.

Interestingly enough, we haven't seen the bill for our part of the two Yervoy treatments from our insurance company, not even an explanation of benefits. We were told how much it is supposed to be, but it would still be good to see it in writing. Not the biggest concern. Have seen some big bills from Mayo Clinic that were all covered except for a couple doctor's co-pays. And some big bills locally for expenses related to having her port put in. Jackie is getting weekly blood draws via her port. So they are keeping a pretty close eye on her.  

Thanks,

Bruce and Jackie

bruski1959
                                                    Participant

Hi Joan,

Thanks,

Bruce and Jackie

Maxximom
                                                    Participant

Hi Bruce and Jackie. Glad all went smoothly with Jackie's second infusion. I always look forward to posts by those who are still getting Yervoy so I can see how they are responding to treatment and side effects. Jackie is about 2 weeks ahead of me.. I will have my second infusion on March 8. You gave me a heads up to check with my doctor on what if any pre med they would give me at the infusion. They did not give me any Benaldyl  but did give me a anti nausea med. I wasn't sleepy that way and driving home was not a issue. So far I have had no side effects..but it's only been 2 weeks..keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way. Wishing Jackie good luck

Joan

Maxximom
                                                      Participant

Joan

Browneyesangel
                                                        Participant
                                                          Hello. I am new to this. My husband has melanoma cancer stage 3 1/2, we found out feb 15 and he has cancer in the back and lymph nodes. He was operated on march 2nd. Thet removed 5 lymph nodes on the right side and remove the cancer in the back where the mold started. We get the results Monday if cancer cells are in the good surrounding skin. What is next, he wS advised radiation for 6 weeks every day. We have not seen any other dr regarding what might be going through his body. My question is, what type of drug should I ask the dr to try. We were told he has 50% to live 5 years. I don’t agree with that… We want to fight this and our head is spending because we just don’t know how much more research we can do. Everything u read is bad. I don’t want to lose my husband so I am reaching out to you guys. Can anyone give me some advise?
                                                            bruski1959
                                                            Participant

Hi Browneyesangel,

You have come to a good place to get advice and positive feedback. A second opinion is always a good idea. My wife Jackie has a local oncology team, as well as an oncology team at the Mayo Clinic who coordinate her care. She effectively has three cancers, with the melanoma currently being the most aggressvie.

Personally I have found the NCCN  patient guidelines very helpful for understanding melanoma, understanding the staging, understanding the treatment options, etc. I have included the link here for you. It is a PDF file you can download to your computer. I have referred to it often since Jackie was diagnosed in May 1, 2011. She started out stage 1, then rapidly progressed to stage 3 by July, and stage 4 by November, with liver biopsy confirmation of melanoma in January at the Mayo Clinic. 

http://www.nccn.org/patients/patient_guidelines/melanoma/index.html

Melanoma is very aggressive, especially when it gets below the skin and into the lympatic system. There are treatment trials available you might want to check into also. Treatment trials are double edged swords. You can often get the most advanced treatment at little or no cost to the patient, but you are in effect human guinea pigs. Jackie was in a treatment trial for another disease, and it helped her greatly for 3 years, but she had to discontinue you after she was diagnosed with melanoma.

Become as informed as you possibly can, and stay up on new advances in treatment. The two latest FDA approved melanoma treatments (Zelboraf and Yervoy) seem to be very effective, but do have some side effects, and can be quite costly. We have been fortunate in that my health insurance paid for the Yervoy. This is not typically the case for most people.

As with any cancer, having a positive attitude is half the battle. Your encouragement and a good support system for you and your husband are very important. 

You might want to repost your query on the board as a new post and not just as a response to my post. You will probably get more responses from others on the board that way.

This stuff will definitely make your head spin. Like eating an elephant, take it a bite at a time. Do the best to be your husband's advocate if you can. I do that for my wife Jackie, and it is definitely recommended every time your husband goes to see a doctor. Ask questions, write them down, write down the answers. Get reports in writing.

Praying for you both on this journey. Think about quality of life as you contemplate decisions. We always have tried to do that for Jackie (my brown eyed angel) as she has fought health battles for the last 20 years.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Bruce

bruski1959
                                                              Participant

Hi Browneyesangel,

You have come to a good place to get advice and positive feedback. A second opinion is always a good idea. My wife Jackie has a local oncology team, as well as an oncology team at the Mayo Clinic who coordinate her care. She effectively has three cancers, with the melanoma currently being the most aggressvie.

Personally I have found the NCCN  patient guidelines very helpful for understanding melanoma, understanding the staging, understanding the treatment options, etc. I have included the link here for you. It is a PDF file you can download to your computer. I have referred to it often since Jackie was diagnosed in May 1, 2011. She started out stage 1, then rapidly progressed to stage 3 by July, and stage 4 by November, with liver biopsy confirmation of melanoma in January at the Mayo Clinic. 

Melanoma is very aggressive, especially when it gets below the skin and into the lympatic system. There are treatment trials available you might want to check into also. Treatment trials are double edged swords. You can often get the most advanced treatment at little or no cost to the patient, but you are in effect human guinea pigs. Jackie was in a treatment trial for another disease, and it helped her greatly for 3 years, but she had to discontinue you after she was diagnosed with melanoma.

Become as informed as you possibly can, and stay up on new advances in treatment. The two latest FDA approved melanoma treatments (Zelboraf and Yervoy) seem to be very effective, but do have some side effects, and can be quite costly. We have been fortunate in that my health insurance paid for the Yervoy. This is not typically the case for most people.

As with any cancer, having a positive attitude is half the battle. Your encouragement and a good support system for you and your husband are very important. 

You might want to repost your query on the board as a new post and not just as a response to my post. You will probably get more responses from others on the board that way.

This stuff will definitely make your head spin. Like eating an elephant, take it a bite at a time. Do the best to be your husband's advocate if you can. I do that for my wife Jackie, and it is definitely recommended every time your husband goes to see a doctor. Ask questions, write them down, write down the answers. Get reports in writing.

Praying for you both on this journey. Think about quality of life as you contemplate decisions. We always have tried to do that for Jackie (my brown eyed angel) as she has fought health battles for the last 20 years.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Bruce

bruski1959
                                                                Participant

Hi Browneyesangel,

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Bruce

Browneyesangel
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Hello. I am new to this. My husband has melanoma cancer stage 3 1/2, we found out feb 15 and he has cancer in the back and lymph nodes. He was operated on march 2nd. Thet removed 5 lymph nodes on the right side and remove the cancer in the back where the mold started. We get the results Monday if cancer cells are in the good surrounding skin. What is next, he wS advised radiation for 6 weeks every day. We have not seen any other dr regarding what might be going through his body. My question is, what type of drug should I ask the dr to try. We were told he has 50% to live 5 years. I don’t agree with that… We want to fight this and our head is spending because we just don’t know how much more research we can do. Everything u read is bad. I don’t want to lose my husband so I am reaching out to you guys. Can anyone give me some advise?
                                                                  Browneyesangel
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    Browneyesangel
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Thank u for posting me. Seems like your wife’s really going through a lot. How do u stay so strong? I am just at the beginning of my husbands melanoma and we have not even started treatment.so much information and every time I research it’s Ll bad news. I will check out the site u sent me and pleasemkeep us postedmn your wife
                                                                      Browneyesangel
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        Thank u for posting me. Seems like your wife’s really going through a lot. How do u stay so strong? I am just at the beginning of my husbands melanoma and we have not even started treatment.so much information and every time I research it’s Ll bad news. I will check out the site u sent me and pleasemkeep us postedmn your wife
                                                                          bruski1959
                                                                          Participant

Hi Browneyesangel,

Yes Jackie has a lot going on; She had her left ring finger amputated shortly after she got the malignant melanoma diagnosis on May 2nd. Then in July we found the melanoma had spead to the lymph nodes under ler left underam. In August she had 13 lymph nodes removed, 7 were positive for melanoma, and 6 were not cancerous. Then in November, the PET scan results showed the melanoma had recurred under her left underarm lymph nodes, and also had spread to her liver. Then in January she had another PET scan which showed the melanoma had spread to the lungs. Also the liver melanoma was confirmed by biopsy. So even though Jackie has been on Yervoy for 35 days, she's been dealing with melanoma and treatments going on a year now.

I was a long distance cross country runner in high school, and I do tend to look at life as a marathon, not as a sprint. We have been dealing with various chronic and at time life-theatening health conditions for 20 years. We both have a strong faith, and we have a lot of people that pray for us and a great support system in place from family, friends, neighbors, and church family.

So you have started treatment, but not the next phase of treatment yet. One thing we have learned is that you can't become the disease. Or you can't let the disease define who you are. You can't think about it all the time, even though you might tend to. It is important to try to live as normal as a life as possible. Spend time with family and friends, do things that you like to do together as much as is feasible.

Above all you have to try to take care of yourself as a caregiver. You're not much good to your husband if you don't take care of yourself. Try to eat right, get some exercise, get enough rest, all of that stuff matters.

Hang in there, and let us know how your husband's treatment is progressing. We will keep you posted on Jackie's progress as well.

I saw there was an article that was published yesterday that a couple of melanoma patients who weren't have good results with Yervoy, then had some radiation treatment for troublesome melanoma tumors. Suddenly Yevoy began shrinking other melanoma tumors that hadn't previously been shrinking. So now there will be a treatment trial to see how much this can happen, or if it was just a fluke.

Take care,

Bruce

bruski1959
                                                                            Participant

Hi Browneyesangel,

Yes Jackie has a lot going on; She had her left ring finger amputated shortly after she got the malignant melanoma diagnosis on May 2nd. Then in July we found the melanoma had spead to the lymph nodes under ler left underam. In August she had 13 lymph nodes removed, 7 were positive for melanoma, and 6 were not cancerous. Then in November, the PET scan results showed the melanoma had recurred under her left underarm lymph nodes, and also had spread to her liver. Then in January she had another PET scan which showed the melanoma had spread to the lungs. Also the liver melanoma was confirmed by biopsy. So even though Jackie has been on Yervoy for 35 days, she's been dealing with melanoma and treatments going on a year now.

I was a long distance cross country runner in high school, and I do tend to look at life as a marathon, not as a sprint. We have been dealing with various chronic and at time life-theatening health conditions for 20 years. We both have a strong faith, and we have a lot of people that pray for us and a great support system in place from family, friends, neighbors, and church family.

So you have started treatment, but not the next phase of treatment yet. One thing we have learned is that you can't become the disease. Or you can't let the disease define who you are. You can't think about it all the time, even though you might tend to. It is important to try to live as normal as a life as possible. Spend time with family and friends, do things that you like to do together as much as is feasible.

Above all you have to try to take care of yourself as a caregiver. You're not much good to your husband if you don't take care of yourself. Try to eat right, get some exercise, get enough rest, all of that stuff matters.

Hang in there, and let us know how your husband's treatment is progressing. We will keep you posted on Jackie's progress as well.

I saw there was an article that was published yesterday that a couple of melanoma patients who weren't have good results with Yervoy, then had some radiation treatment for troublesome melanoma tumors. Suddenly Yevoy began shrinking other melanoma tumors that hadn't previously been shrinking. So now there will be a treatment trial to see how much this can happen, or if it was just a fluke.

Take care,

Bruce

bruski1959
                                                                              Participant

Hi Browneyesangel,

Take care,

Bruce

Browneyesangel
                                                                              Participant
                                                                            Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics