The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

2nd Scan after Diagnosis

Forums General Melanoma Community 2nd Scan after Diagnosis

Participant

My first Pet scan in mid August after starting Nivo in May showed low-grade FDG update in the left axilla where I had a CLND with six nodes having some melanoma.  This was "significantly decreasted" from my initial scan where the melanoma was detected.  No other FDG uptake noted.  They suspected it was from surgery but could not rule out some malignancy.  My onc decided to do another Pet in November just to make sure.  After 14 treatments of Nivo, my Pet scan this week showed even less intense FDG activity and the activity occupies a smaller area.  The explanation  was "compatible with evolving/resolving postoperative change.  Finding will be monitored on follow-up".  So my understanding of this is that the surgery caused this "cloudy" area BUT we will monitor this in future scans.  Why is it that there is always a qualifier?  The good news is still no other FDG update noted.  I will continue on with NIVO treatments every two weeks (my choice) with 9 remaining for a total of 24.  So far the only issue has been a lichenoid planus rash which is getting worse.  The onc was surprised how much it had spread.  I get some minor itching but I can tolerate it.  I had some very minor rash before I started Nivo but the Nivo really caused it to flare up big time.  No other scans were scheduled and I see the onc in February.  As a stage "3C -er", it make you wonder if all of the melanoma surgically removed or is the Nivo doing it's job.  Either way, I'll take it.  

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tracyyy
        Participant

Hi Steve, my mother had the same issue – last December she had a surgery to remove groin lymph nodes and PET scan after that showed metabolic activity in the same place near the operation. The conclusion in the report was postoperative change, so I think there is nothing to worry about in your case. Good luck!

Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics