The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

2nd Petscan Report- Part 2

Forums General Melanoma Community 2nd Petscan Report- Part 2

Participant

""Those with thyroid issues and who take Synthroid should avoid soy and soybean products, according to the U.S. Army Medical Department. Soy foods are goitrogenic, meaning they suppress thyroid hormones. If you are using Synthroid it is important to remember that soy can affect its absorption." Aslo high fiber, llike the unsalted walnuts, and almonds, I've been snaking on.  Oh great!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Sharon93065
        Participant

I'm sorry i lost the top part of my post, i don't have to have you read this twice.I've just read that broccolli, cabbage, spinach etc should only be eaten cooked if taking thyroid.  And spinach and brocolli have been my two 'go to' veggies.  At time the broccoli raw at social events.  Sometime i experience severe fatigue in the am, i am wondering now if it's because i mix spinach with my breakfast?  

Sharon93065
          Participant

Well i cannot find my original post this am so i will start again.  On 9/11 I received my 2nd Petscan report. I was "walking on sunshine" to hear most tumors couldn't be seen and to others shrank.  on 8./10 my liver panel was high so my 4th Yervoy/Opdivo was cancelled.  I was put on the 5 pack of Prednisone. 100mg for 5 days, 80 5 days etc and when i was on the 1/2 my ALT/AST went up so i was put back on 100mg for a few weeks, then the 80 for a few weeks, then last Sat my panel numbers were almost normal and i am on 60 for a few weeks slowly being weaned down.  I was having blood work biweekly now it's once a week thank God at $25 a pop!  I like being able to view my results online with several hours.  I was given a lasix script last Fri and oh my.  It worked of course, but the leg, toe, calf cramps the next day were horrible. I did eat avocados for potassium, and drink magnesum.  Hylands quick dissolving tabs really help. I don't travel without them.  I only plan on using the lasix when needed.  I did read seniors do need milder does of some meds.  I did ask for the other med to help with the Prednisone as one of you suggested twice, i asked twice.  He said only if you have received a transplant???  My face is round, i am tired, but glad to be alive.  I get instant fatique where i call it throw down.  The bed is there and i throw  myself on it.  My thyroid med was increaded to 100mg a day.  Can't eat anything for 1 hr after, that's when i take my Prednisone. I also am prescribed Pepcid, but still starting to get heartburn.  And we cannot take heartburn meds within 4 hrs of thryoid.  My next Petscan is in Dec we will go from there.

I actually had a horrible experience two weeks ago, my usually potty break at 1:30. Severe right chest pain close to liver, lower lung and i could not catch my breath. Went to ER, then transferred to Kaiser by ambulance.  I've had catscan, ekg, VQScan (breath radiation for 5 min then lung catscan) ultra sounds of gall bladder, also of veins in both legs.  Was admitted to hospital on Sun and released Tues night.  During that time on oxygen, having a hard time breathing and keeping level up to 90.  Each day got better, at first that it was bacterial pneumonia,  tests ruled that out. Then viral, no not that either.  We never got a diagnois. I do have a thing to breath in if it happens again.  But i kept having to stop to deep breath and 'catch my breath!'  Yes i used to smoke quit years ago, but I have never had a breathing problem before ever.  The good result of this is being referred to my original Pulmonary Dr who i started with before we knew my l ung mass was actually melanoma.  And they both visited me at Kaiser Woodlands Hills as that's where their offices are.  It was scary…  

Again thank you all for yoiur posts and helpful adivse, It's because of you that i have hope.

Sharon from Simi Valley CA 

PS I love it when i play cards with friends and when they are cranky with  YOU and you snap back, oh being patient with her she's on Prednisone!

Also since i continued to stay off sugar and very low carbs I did not gain one pound on the Prednisone. I'm just rounder LOL!

cancersnewnormal
            Participant

Synthroid should be kept away from food in general. It should be taken 2 hours before any food intake, or 4 hours AFTER. For that reason… I take mine at roughly 2 am when I wake up naturally for a pee break. HA! Iron will most certainly decrease your ability to absorb the medication…. whiiiiich creates a bit of an issue when one is falling on the anemic side due to immunotherapy side effects. Spinach and broccoli are both high in iron content (as are red meats). I still mow down spinach as often as possible… I can't pass up the added vitamin benefits. : ) That said, my usual dose of Synthroid caused a bit of a spike (and some jumpy heartrate) while on an extended vacation, I was unable to intake my typical "spinach with almost every meal". 

I've read that one should ideally take Synthroid first thing in the morning when our natural levels are at their lowest. Buuuuuuut… wake up… take meds… and then not eat for 2 hours? Ummmmmmm… I can't. I just can't. Hence the move to the 2 am… pop the tiny pill and go back to sleep regimen. :-p

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics