The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

27 with Cancer

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community 27 with Cancer

Participant
      Hello. New to the site.

About 1 week and 1 day ago I had a punch biopsy of a “cute” (or so I thought) little mole that popped up on my wrist. I was tired of listening to everyone yell at me to get it checked out so I finally did. This past Monday as I was pulling into work the dermatologist called me back with results- I have melanoma in situ.

I immediately was scheduled for an appointment to complete a whole body scan. He found a suspicious mole on my back and ended up shaving that one off for a biopsy. He also took my “life long” mole on my temple.

As far as I can remember I’ve always had my temple mole. About 2 years ago it started bleeding and I thought nothing of it- thought maybe I scratched it open while sleeping or something. Melanoma wasn’t a term in my vocabulary and although it crossed my mind to “probably” get it checked out- I never did.

Now here I am- 27 years old with melanoma. I know I’m damn lucky it’s only in situ but as I sit here waiting for the biopsy for my temple mole I can’t help but feel scared. I’m a absolute wreck. When he started asking me about my temple mole I could feel my stomach drop. I could sense the panic in his voice, the way he summoned the nurse, the way he tried to cover up his nervousness when I started picking up on it.

I’ve got 4 stitches in the side of my head. A consistent reminder that my life may never be the same. I feel sick to my stomach. Believe me, I’m not intentionally trying to feel sorry for myself- I know far more melanoma patients are way worse then I am.

I’m just a 27 year old girl lost in a sea of unknown. Just curious how you seasoned folks get through the wait.

Waiting until Mar 19 to see a skin cancer doc to finish the surgery on the wrist.

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        AngelaM
        Participant
          I had my first melanoma at 28. It was also in-situ. I then had 2 more within the same 2 year period, but unfortunately they were invasive. It’s a common cancer in women our age, so don’t think that it’s strange for you to have had a melanoma at age 27. It’s not.

The waiting is hard, but you mustn’t think the worst. You are aware now and that’s what’s going to count in your favor. Your melanoma was in-situ so it can’t spread. Calm down and wait for the results of the shave biopsy before you worry too much. Most people only ever get one melanoma. I’m an exception.

Good luck

AngelaM
          Participant
            I had my first melanoma at 28. It was also in-situ. I then had 2 more within the same 2 year period, but unfortunately they were invasive. It’s a common cancer in women our age, so don’t think that it’s strange for you to have had a melanoma at age 27. It’s not.

The waiting is hard, but you mustn’t think the worst. You are aware now and that’s what’s going to count in your favor. Your melanoma was in-situ so it can’t spread. Calm down and wait for the results of the shave biopsy before you worry too much. Most people only ever get one melanoma. I’m an exception.

Good luck

AngelaM
            Participant

Good luck

randallgford
              Participant

I'm sorry for your situation and all the fear it brings. You have come to the right place. You

need information, support, and faith. Hopefully all will go well and this will be an isolated

situation, but having found this board may someday save your life. Educate yourself and

listen to the advice of the people who have the experience and your fear will diminish.

My best to you – it sounds like you are in a manageable situation and add you to my prayers

for all in this community.

Regards, Vicki

randallgford
                Participant

I'm sorry for your situation and all the fear it brings. You have come to the right place. You

need information, support, and faith. Hopefully all will go well and this will be an isolated

situation, but having found this board may someday save your life. Educate yourself and

listen to the advice of the people who have the experience and your fear will diminish.

My best to you – it sounds like you are in a manageable situation and add you to my prayers

Regards, Vicki

randallgford
                  Participant

Regards, Vicki

POW
                    Participant

I'm going to say something and then say it again and then probably say it again– never again allow anyone to do a shave biopsy on you again!

That being said, when anyone first gets a diagnosis containing the "M word" it hits them right in the gut. That is a perfectly normal and probably unavoidable reaction. But melanoma-in-situ very, very rarely progresses to later stages. I think there is something like a 95% probability of you never having a recurrance. And in those few cases where MIS does progress, I think a lot of them were misdiagnosed originally (as happened with my brother).  And, while you are very smart to have your other suspicious moles biopsied, the probability of you having 2 or more melanoma lesions on different parts of your body at the same time is vanishingly small. 

I think the best way to look at this episode is that you got a wake-up call to keep yourself informed and vigilant about melanoma. Now you know that you do have the melanoma gene (whatever that is) and you should be checked by a dematologist experienced with melanoma once or twice a year, especially if you become pregnant. Just remember that the most important data in a pathology report is the Breslow depth. That is crucial for determining the probability of spread and any necessary treatment. That is why (watch out– here it comes again) you should NEVER have a shave biopsy. It can be difficult or even impossible to determine the Breslow depth from a shave biopsy, and that can mess you up completely. So if you ever have a biopsy in the future, make sure it is a punch biopsy, a scalloped biopsy, or a Mohs biopsy. 

POW
                      Participant

I'm going to say something and then say it again and then probably say it again– never again allow anyone to do a shave biopsy on you again!

That being said, when anyone first gets a diagnosis containing the "M word" it hits them right in the gut. That is a perfectly normal and probably unavoidable reaction. But melanoma-in-situ very, very rarely progresses to later stages. I think there is something like a 95% probability of you never having a recurrance. And in those few cases where MIS does progress, I think a lot of them were misdiagnosed originally (as happened with my brother).  And, while you are very smart to have your other suspicious moles biopsied, the probability of you having 2 or more melanoma lesions on different parts of your body at the same time is vanishingly small. 

I think the best way to look at this episode is that you got a wake-up call to keep yourself informed and vigilant about melanoma. Now you know that you do have the melanoma gene (whatever that is) and you should be checked by a dematologist experienced with melanoma once or twice a year, especially if you become pregnant. Just remember that the most important data in a pathology report is the Breslow depth. That is crucial for determining the probability of spread and any necessary treatment. That is why (watch out– here it comes again) you should NEVER have a shave biopsy. It can be difficult or even impossible to determine the Breslow depth from a shave biopsy, and that can mess you up completely. So if you ever have a biopsy in the future, make sure it is a punch biopsy, a scalloped biopsy, or a Mohs biopsy. 

POW
                        Participant

JC
                          Participant

What is "a scalloped biopsy?"  Is that like deep shave, saucerization?  Or, something different?  Thanks

JC
                            Participant

What is "a scalloped biopsy?"  Is that like deep shave, saucerization?  Or, something different?  Thanks

JC
                              Participant

POW
                                  Participant

Yes, I think some people call it deep shave or saucer biopsy. Just what we need in this field, more confusion about terminology, right? sad

POW
                                    Participant

Yes, I think some people call it deep shave or saucer biopsy. Just what we need in this field, more confusion about terminology, right? sad

POW
                                      Participant

kathycmc
                                      Participant

I was 16 when I had a mole develop into melanoma-in-situ.  The doctors did a wide excision on that mole and one nearby and skin grafted the site.  I am 55 and never have had a recurrence.  

That said, my daughter is 24 and had a mole on her neck forever.  It started looking weird and I bugged her to have it biopsied.  She had other moles biopsied over the years because of my paranoia about melanoma.  This one came back positive for malignant melanoma stage IIb because of the depth.  She had a wide excision done with sentinel lymph node biopsy.  All tissue and lymph node were clear.  Within a month she felt a swollen lymph node near the original site.  Fine needle biopsy and CT scan showed melanoma.  She had all the lymph nodes in the right side of her neck removed and only the one had melanoma.  She is now a stage IIIb and has opted for adjuvant biochemotherapy to improve her chance of survival.  

I guess the reason I am writing all this is to say that with melanoma-in-situ there is almost no risk of recurrence.  There is a genetic tendency for melanoma however and when you have children please, please know that they have a greater than average risk of developing melanoma.  I am praying that the rest of your biopsies are clear and that all is well.  

There seems to be a lot of waiting involved in melanoma and the easiest way to get through it is with the love and support of your family and friends.

kathycmc
                                        Participant

I was 16 when I had a mole develop into melanoma-in-situ.  The doctors did a wide excision on that mole and one nearby and skin grafted the site.  I am 55 and never have had a recurrence.  

That said, my daughter is 24 and had a mole on her neck forever.  It started looking weird and I bugged her to have it biopsied.  She had other moles biopsied over the years because of my paranoia about melanoma.  This one came back positive for malignant melanoma stage IIb because of the depth.  She had a wide excision done with sentinel lymph node biopsy.  All tissue and lymph node were clear.  Within a month she felt a swollen lymph node near the original site.  Fine needle biopsy and CT scan showed melanoma.  She had all the lymph nodes in the right side of her neck removed and only the one had melanoma.  She is now a stage IIIb and has opted for adjuvant biochemotherapy to improve her chance of survival.  

I guess the reason I am writing all this is to say that with melanoma-in-situ there is almost no risk of recurrence.  There is a genetic tendency for melanoma however and when you have children please, please know that they have a greater than average risk of developing melanoma.  I am praying that the rest of your biopsies are clear and that all is well.  

There seems to be a lot of waiting involved in melanoma and the easiest way to get through it is with the love and support of your family and friends.

kathycmc
                                          Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                            Participant
                                              Look up previous posts by a Lady named Janner. Also search for “melanoma-in-Situ”.
                                              Hopefully the mole comes back without showing Melanoma mutations.You are doing the correct thing to start learning now. Please do not get too paranoid before knowing for sure that you are positive for actual melanoma. Do continue being vigilant either way. Much work has been going on in the Melanoma field the past few years. I have been at the stage IV level since 2007 and am still hanging in here. (OOPS, don’t like that word “HANGING”, I didn’t steal a horse!)
                                              Please let us know what else you learn. There are many good people here that are knowledgeable. Janner is probably far and away the most knowledgeable about the earlier stages. She has stayed around here for years learning and helping people while us advanced stagers tend to scar the heck out of newcomers by being at advanced stages. Most low stagers have gone away and on with life and don’t hang around here much after their first clear year.
                                              JerryfromFauq
                                              Participant
                                                Look up previous posts by a Lady named Janner. Also search for “melanoma-in-Situ”.
                                                Hopefully the mole comes back without showing Melanoma mutations.You are doing the correct thing to start learning now. Please do not get too paranoid before knowing for sure that you are positive for actual melanoma. Do continue being vigilant either way. Much work has been going on in the Melanoma field the past few years. I have been at the stage IV level since 2007 and am still hanging in here. (OOPS, don’t like that word “HANGING”, I didn’t steal a horse!)
                                                Please let us know what else you learn. There are many good people here that are knowledgeable. Janner is probably far and away the most knowledgeable about the earlier stages. She has stayed around here for years learning and helping people while us advanced stagers tend to scar the heck out of newcomers by being at advanced stages. Most low stagers have gone away and on with life and don’t hang around here much after their first clear year.
                                                JerryfromFauq
                                                Participant
                                              Viewing 17 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics