The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

2 craniotomies in 2 cities in 7 days and a question about Keytruda

Forums General Melanoma Community 2 craniotomies in 2 cities in 7 days and a question about Keytruda

Participant

Yikes! We drove back home, 4 hours from Tampa on March 5. On March 6 new symptoms began, which turned out to be the "other" brain tumor in the frontal lobe. This frontal lobe tumor was scheduled to be radiated the week of March 21 along with the tumor bed of the parietal tumor. However it would not cooperate and generated enough vasogenic edema to impair speech, swallowing, facial muscles and typing. Mac had a second craniotomy 7 days after the first, but this time in our hometown as we had no time to get to Tampa. He is stil recovering in the hospital and will get a feeding tube tomorrow. He hasn't eaten since last Wednesday. We are waiting to hear from Moffitt officially about the dabrafenib and mekinist and whether they can be crushed and administered through a g tube. The research I have done so far indicates that will not be a possibility. 

Mac's oncologist has mentioned Keytruda in the past and it may become the next option. My question is:are there any of you who are managed by a cancer center that is not close to home, but have been able to get the Keytruda infusions in your hometown?

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jane Hearn
        Participant

My husband is going to the melanoma center at MD Anderson for scans every three months.  He is receiving Keytruda in Kentucky at a nearby hospital Chemotherapy unit.  We feel like he has two oncologists.

Jane Hearn
          Participant

My husband is going to the melanoma center at MD Anderson for scans every three months.  He is receiving Keytruda in Kentucky at a nearby hospital Chemotherapy unit.  We feel like he has two oncologists.

Jane Hearn
            Participant

Maria C
              Participant

Sarah, it's my understanding Keytruda has been FDA approved, which means your insurance company should cover the costs whatever facility you go to. I would inquire with your oncologist….

Maria C
                Participant

Sarah, it's my understanding Keytruda has been FDA approved, which means your insurance company should cover the costs whatever facility you go to. I would inquire with your oncologist….

Maria C
                  Participant

AshleyS
                    Participant

Hi Sarah,

I'm on Opdivo, not Keytruda, but they are both FDA approved and are both anti-PD1 drugs. My care team is in Houston, Texas at MD Anderson. I live over a thousand miles away in north-central North Dakota. My doctors here administer the drugs but my MD Anderson  doctors are in charge of my care. I also choose to fly to Texas for all my scans. 

Best of luck,

Ashley

AshleyS
                      Participant

Hi Sarah,

I'm on Opdivo, not Keytruda, but they are both FDA approved and are both anti-PD1 drugs. My care team is in Houston, Texas at MD Anderson. I live over a thousand miles away in north-central North Dakota. My doctors here administer the drugs but my MD Anderson  doctors are in charge of my care. I also choose to fly to Texas for all my scans. 

Best of luck,

Ashley

AshleyS
                        Participant

Hi Sarah,

Best of luck,

Ashley

AllysonRuth
                          Participant

I live in Iowa and get Keytruda infusions here.  My doctors at the Mayo Clinic manage my care and I go there for all my scans.  It has worked well thus far.  Good luck!  This isn't easy..

Allyson

AllysonRuth
                            Participant

I live in Iowa and get Keytruda infusions here.  My doctors at the Mayo Clinic manage my care and I go there for all my scans.  It has worked well thus far.  Good luck!  This isn't easy..

Allyson

AllysonRuth
                              Participant

Allyson

AllysonRuth
                                Participant

Allyson

AllysonRuth
                                  Participant

Allyson

AllysonRuth
                                    Participant

Allyson

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics