The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

1b SNB – did anyone get lymphadema

Forums General Melanoma Community 1b SNB – did anyone get lymphadema

Participant

I have a 2nd primary, but risks of lymphadema – chronic vein thrombosis, with biological problems with the vein draining and causing alot of spider vein problems.  I have some episodes of lymphadema type situations over the years. WIth my first melanoma, i had a very aggressive melanoma, with satellites, stage 3b going in, ulcerated, 12 mitotic rate, with brisk response fighting it – i was in great shape. I had the SNB, it was initially in the sentinel node microscopically, but on a repeat, it was negative. I refused the lymph node dissection and interferon as the complications for me were going to be far more than the benefits. THey were just researching then, interferon not so great and full node dissection was in my estimation, going to cause me lymphadema. I had no recurrances.

Now , 16 years later, that much older, not in shape at all and overweight. i mean, i can control 2 of these things, but with a new primary – lower leg, 1b, and only a 1.01 mm, i am wondering if i should bother with the SNB. I researched the risk factors and i have them all for lymphadema – age, weight, no exercise, chronic venous insufficiency, spider vein problems and on and on……

I wish i could be back running and in shape, but i think i will have more problems than not with SNB. I understand there is about a 15% chance of it spreading to the nodes. In my first mel, it was very, very aggressive, as noted above and was only microcopically present on the 1st S-100, nothing on repeat, MARt T-1 and something else i can't remember.

Anyone have anything similar or thoughts?  Thanks….Judith

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        tedtell1
        Participant

Hi;

I will bow to anyone else who has more scientific info but I believe the removal of one lymph node is unlikely to cause lymphedema. I think those who suffer lymphadema are mostly those who have had mutliple lymph nodes removed. I have not experienced lymph node removal, so I might be off base.

Ted

mandyjill
            Participant

I didn't worry about lymphadema when I just had the one sentinel node removed.  But then had all the nodes removed from under my arm and was concerned that it might be a problem. But two years later, so far so good.  No lymphadema yet.

lindanat
            Participant

I had lymph nodes removed under right arm in Oct 2016.  No lymphadema but I wore a sleeve for about 6 months and did the exercises that the lymph clinic provided which I think really helped the prevention.  If you have a lymph clinic near, take advantage of their services.  They help!

jen.bren
              Participant

Hi there,

I have had lymphedema for about 14 yrs now. I did not get it from the SNB or 4 nodes removed, I got it afyer a recurrence and had to have many nodes removed in the groin area. 

When I am on the thinner side it is less, when i gain weight it acts up more. I have a level 1 or something lymphedema but since I gained 20 lbs every day by mid to end of work day it is swollen.

You may be fine with just a SNB.

I don’t exercise anymore either…

Hope this helps any.

Jen

DHinAZ
                Participant

I delevopled lymphedema about 6 months after having only 1 node removed for a SLNB.  I exercise several times a week, early 30s, thin, eat well.  I was led to believe it wouldn’t happen prior to my surgery.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics