The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

107 days and a new melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community 107 days and a new melanoma

Participant

One hundred seven days from the last positive diagnosis, 99 days from the last surgery, and now I have a new melanoma, This is the sixth melanoma on the same ear, five of them in the past 4 years. My friends all tell me that I am an unusual person,  but I don't think this is what they were refering to. How common is this? Should this be happening? Every time the pathologists say that the margins are clear. Pretty soon I won't have anything to hang my hearing aid on.

One hundred seven days from the last positive diagnosis, 99 days from the last surgery, and now I have a new melanoma, This is the sixth melanoma on the same ear, five of them in the past 4 years. My friends all tell me that I am an unusual person,  but I don't think this is what they were refering to. How common is this? Should this be happening? Every time the pathologists say that the margins are clear. Pretty soon I won't have anything to hang my hearing aid on.

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        sharmon
        Participant
          Hi, I jusr met a young lady at MD Anderson last week. She had had over 100 tumors on her leg and is on the ONCO vex trial. She is down to 4 tumors and no new ones since she has started the trial.
            SusanE
            Participant

Wow! That is great to hear. How wonderful for that girl. Does she come on this board?

SusanE
              Participant

Wow! That is great to hear. How wonderful for that girl. Does she come on this board?

Wilfred
                Participant

Sharmon, thanks for your note. My heart goes out to that young lady. My issues are insignificant in comparison. I am just starting to get active in managing my treatment and am starting to look for medications and/or trials that may provide answers. Regards, Wilfred

Wilfred
                  Participant

Sharmon, thanks for your note. My heart goes out to that young lady. My issues are insignificant in comparison. I am just starting to get active in managing my treatment and am starting to look for medications and/or trials that may provide answers. Regards, Wilfred

sharmon
                  Participant
                    Hi, I jusr met a young lady at MD Anderson last week. She had had over 100 tumors on her leg and is on the ONCO vex trial. She is down to 4 tumors and no new ones since she has started the trial.
                    SusanE
                    Participant

Wilfred, so sorry to hear about your recurrences. It is frustrating. My husband gets intransits on his stump fairly often, and they just keep cutting.

Have you used Aldara?

SusanE
                      Participant

Wilfred, so sorry to hear about your recurrences. It is frustrating. My husband gets intransits on his stump fairly often, and they just keep cutting.

Have you used Aldara?

Wilfred
                          Participant

Thanks for your note. I looked at your profile and understand to some small degree what you and Jerry are going through. I keep fighting and obviously you are also. Best wishes.

Wilfred
                            Participant

Thanks for your note. I looked at your profile and understand to some small degree what you and Jerry are going through. I keep fighting and obviously you are also. Best wishes.

BethA
                            Participant

So sorry you are having to deal with this again.  I wish you well, and will keep you in my prayers.  Good luck.  Beth 3/B

BethA
                              Participant

So sorry you are having to deal with this again.  I wish you well, and will keep you in my prayers.  Good luck.  Beth 3/B

Wilfred
                                  Participant

Beth, I am scared also; and, like you, I don't give up. I'm glad that you are not having to deal with mm at this time and send my best wishes that things stay that way. I think I am going to look into some trials or medicine. Enjoy your grandchildren as I do mine. Regards, Wilfred

Wilfred
                                    Participant

Beth, I am scared also; and, like you, I don't give up. I'm glad that you are not having to deal with mm at this time and send my best wishes that things stay that way. I think I am going to look into some trials or medicine. Enjoy your grandchildren as I do mine. Regards, Wilfred

washoegal
                                    Participant

Have they tested any of the tumors for gentic mutation?  This must be getting so hard for you and I am sure you are searching for a solution.

Mary

Stage 3

Wilfred
                                        Participant

Mary, thanks for your note. If tests have been done for genetic mutation, I have not been informed. Up until this year I have just let the surgeon, head of Surgical Oncology at Sinai in Baltimore, make all decisions. This year I have started to do some research, read about melanoma and be diligent about paying attention to the signs. This latest was discovered because I thought there was something wrong and would not take no for an answer. The occurance in May really drove me deep into the dark, I fought it, and, now, this new one doesn't bother me so much. It's not understanding the why that is bothering me. I like answers, solutions. I like your quote; I do get back up.

Wilfred
                                          Participant

Mary, thanks for your note. If tests have been done for genetic mutation, I have not been informed. Up until this year I have just let the surgeon, head of Surgical Oncology at Sinai in Baltimore, make all decisions. This year I have started to do some research, read about melanoma and be diligent about paying attention to the signs. This latest was discovered because I thought there was something wrong and would not take no for an answer. The occurance in May really drove me deep into the dark, I fought it, and, now, this new one doesn't bother me so much. It's not understanding the why that is bothering me. I like answers, solutions. I like your quote; I do get back up.

washoegal
                                          Participant

Have they tested any of the tumors for gentic mutation?  This must be getting so hard for you and I am sure you are searching for a solution.

Mary

Stage 3

Charlie S
                                            Participant

Okay, lets break it down if you don't mind.

107 days ago was your diagnosis, give me the pathology report please.

Excisional, shave, scrape or punch biopsy?

Any human only has so much ear, so, the same applies for each, was it a excisional, shave, scrape pr [unch biopsy?

Further, to help you, the surgical margins (as written) are important., because if you DID have a melanoma, the margins, would for the most part mean you would not have an ear.

You will not like this, but IF, is all that  you say is true, one of three things is happening.  

You do not have melanoma.

You do and you have incompetent medical advice.

Or you think you have melanoma , do not ,and are freaked.

The way to clarify this is to post your path report and surgical report for each of your now six melanomas on the same ear.

I'm pretty good at this; but what you are saying doesn't add up.

Your medical providers may not be making things clear for you to understand, or, though I hope not, lack a clue.

More details please !

Cheers,

Charlie S

Wilfred
                                                Participant

Charlie, thanks for the reply/comments, I have been sailing for 10 days – the best therapy.

Let me answer your comments/questions in order:

*   I do not have copies of all the pathology reports.

*   2mm punch biopsy this time never had a shaveor scrape.

*   never had a shave or scrape

*   while I understand your thought that the surgeon is not a capable person, he is the head of surgical oncology at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore

*    the surgical pathology final report states under the heading Final Diagnosis:

A. Sentinel Lymph Node rght neck:

– One lymph node is negative for metastatic tumor (0/1)

B. Right Partial Pinna:

– Recurrent Melanoma

– The tumor measures 1.2 cm in geatest dimension

– Surgical Margins are negative for tumor

– Actinic Keratosis and Dermal Elastosis

C. Deep Margin Cartilage:

– Negative for tumor

I find it hard to believe that I misunderstand the surgeon's use of the word "melanoma". Six times in 13 years, five times in the last 4 years, I have been told that the biopsy is positive for melanoma.

I do not know what is going on, while I may be upset that there seems to be no rational explanation for these recurrences, I am not freaked out. If these are not melanomas why have labs at Johns Hopkins and Sinai said they were?

Wilfred

Wilfred
                                                  Participant

Charlie, thanks for the reply/comments, I have been sailing for 10 days – the best therapy.

Let me answer your comments/questions in order:

*   I do not have copies of all the pathology reports.

*   2mm punch biopsy this time never had a shaveor scrape.

*   never had a shave or scrape

*   while I understand your thought that the surgeon is not a capable person, he is the head of surgical oncology at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore

*    the surgical pathology final report states under the heading Final Diagnosis:

A. Sentinel Lymph Node rght neck:

– One lymph node is negative for metastatic tumor (0/1)

B. Right Partial Pinna:

– Recurrent Melanoma

– The tumor measures 1.2 cm in geatest dimension

– Surgical Margins are negative for tumor

– Actinic Keratosis and Dermal Elastosis

C. Deep Margin Cartilage:

– Negative for tumor

I find it hard to believe that I misunderstand the surgeon's use of the word "melanoma". Six times in 13 years, five times in the last 4 years, I have been told that the biopsy is positive for melanoma.

I do not know what is going on, while I may be upset that there seems to be no rational explanation for these recurrences, I am not freaked out. If these are not melanomas why have labs at Johns Hopkins and Sinai said they were?

Wilfred

Charlie S
                                                  Participant

Okay, lets break it down if you don't mind.

107 days ago was your diagnosis, give me the pathology report please.

Excisional, shave, scrape or punch biopsy?

Any human only has so much ear, so, the same applies for each, was it a excisional, shave, scrape pr [unch biopsy?

Further, to help you, the surgical margins (as written) are important., because if you DID have a melanoma, the margins, would for the most part mean you would not have an ear.

You will not like this, but IF, is all that  you say is true, one of three things is happening.  

You do not have melanoma.

You do and you have incompetent medical advice.

Or you think you have melanoma , do not ,and are freaked.

The way to clarify this is to post your path report and surgical report for each of your now six melanomas on the same ear.

I'm pretty good at this; but what you are saying doesn't add up.

Your medical providers may not be making things clear for you to understand, or, though I hope not, lack a clue.

More details please !

Cheers,

Charlie S

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics