The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

10 days post-SNB & WLE…update

Forums General Melanoma Community 10 days post-SNB & WLE…update

Participant
      RecOvery is going pretty well no major complaints but the healing process kinda sucks. At 8 days post op I had to unexpectedly have my sutures removed from my WLE bc according to my local pcp (not my surgeon) I was having some sort of allergic reaction to the stitches. Since then I have been paranoid of doing something and having them reopen… Probably a long shot but I definitely don’t want to go through more stitches. My SNB site is healing nicely except the steri-strips they used came off way early because how the heck do you keep your armpit hair from growing and pushing them off. Lol.

RecOvery is going pretty well no major complaints but the healing process kinda sucks. At 8 days post op I had to unexpectedly have my sutures removed from my WLE bc according to my local pcp (not my surgeon) I was having some sort of allergic reaction to the stitches. Since then I have been paranoid of doing something and having them reopen… Probably a long shot but I definitely don’t want to go through more stitches. My SNB site is healing nicely except the steri-strips they used came off way early because how the heck do you keep your armpit hair from growing and pushing them off. Lol. I do have a ping pong ball size hard lump at the SNB site and will have my surgeon take a look on the 18th when I go in for a post op visit.

Oh did I mention that everything came back free and clear of cancer cells? Yay!!!!! I know that it could rear it’s ugly head anywhere at anytime but for now it is a comfort knoing it is gone from my body and I get to be here and not be sick for a little bit longer.

Just thought I’d give y’all an update. Thank you guys for all the love and support; I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!!

-Kim

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        AZ_Gal
        Participant
          Oh I forgot tO mention that the only other problem I’m experiencing since surgery is the numbness and pain in my arm from my elbow to my spine on the same side as my SNB. the pain is bad enough that at 11 days post op I’m still using oxcycodone to help me get through the day and to get to sleep at night. Is this much pain normal??
            lhaley
            Participant

Kim,

Last time my local derm cut out the lump I had he put on steri strips. Within 3 days I was having a reaction and took the strips off. When I went to have the stitches removed they found I still had many bumps around the area.  If you had the steri strips the entire time that might have been the issue! 

It is normal to have numbness. Good chance that the Dr touched or moved a bit a nerve, however since you only had a SNB and not all of the node removed I'd be a bit more concerned.  Call the Dr (I know you have a distance to travel) and tell them.  They might have to have you go through with either occupational therapy or physical therapy. You shouldn't be needing oxcycodone by now (at least that's my thoughts).

Linda

AZ_Gal
              Participant
                My thoughts exactly Linda!! We will see what the docs say on Thursday.
                AZ_Gal
                Participant
                  My thoughts exactly Linda!! We will see what the docs say on Thursday.
                  AZ_Gal
                  Participant
                    They took 4 lymph nodes.
                    AZ_Gal
                    Participant
                      They took 4 lymph nodes.
                      AZ_Gal
                      Participant
                        Went to see my doc for post surgery check up and he didn’t give a rats a$$ what I had to say about my pain or numbness… Really irritated my husband and I. But last week I discovered (after reading numerous posts about how important it is to have a dr that specializes in melanoma) my current dr specializes in rectal and colon cancer!!! ummmm……. Not exactly what I need. So my husband got online and found a dr in Encinitas, CA. Dr. McClay at pacific oncology. So I am in the process of trying to get scheduled there. Maybe they will care that I still use oxycodone to get to sleep bc the pain is so bad when I lay down.
                        AZ_Gal
                        Participant
                          Went to see my doc for post surgery check up and he didn’t give a rats a$$ what I had to say about my pain or numbness… Really irritated my husband and I. But last week I discovered (after reading numerous posts about how important it is to have a dr that specializes in melanoma) my current dr specializes in rectal and colon cancer!!! ummmm……. Not exactly what I need. So my husband got online and found a dr in Encinitas, CA. Dr. McClay at pacific oncology. So I am in the process of trying to get scheduled there. Maybe they will care that I still use oxycodone to get to sleep bc the pain is so bad when I lay down.
                          lhaley
                          Participant

Kim,

Last time my local derm cut out the lump I had he put on steri strips. Within 3 days I was having a reaction and took the strips off. When I went to have the stitches removed they found I still had many bumps around the area.  If you had the steri strips the entire time that might have been the issue! 

It is normal to have numbness. Good chance that the Dr touched or moved a bit a nerve, however since you only had a SNB and not all of the node removed I'd be a bit more concerned.  Call the Dr (I know you have a distance to travel) and tell them.  They might have to have you go through with either occupational therapy or physical therapy. You shouldn't be needing oxcycodone by now (at least that's my thoughts).

Linda

AZ_Gal
                          Participant
                            Oh I forgot tO mention that the only other problem I’m experiencing since surgery is the numbness and pain in my arm from my elbow to my spine on the same side as my SNB. the pain is bad enough that at 11 days post op I’m still using oxcycodone to help me get through the day and to get to sleep at night. Is this much pain normal??
                            mombase
                            Participant

Congratulations on the Free and Clear part!! May the side effects diminish soon for you…

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                              Participant

Congratulations on the Free and Clear part!! May the side effects diminish soon for you…

Cristy, Stage IV

Viewing 3 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics