The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

1 year on Zelboraf

Forums General Melanoma Community 1 year on Zelboraf

Participant

My dad was diagnosed in July 2011 (Stage 4), 18 years after the first outbreak !

Metastases in the liver and lung. (4 on the lung and something between 13 and 18 mets on the liver)

After researching, we found out, that zelboraf was approved by the FDA, in Europe it was still only available through clinical trials, doc did not really want to make a second biopsie, which would have been necessary to get into the trial.

I started to fly once every 6 weeks to the US to get Zelboraf there until it got approved in spring 2012 here.

My dad was diagnosed in July 2011 (Stage 4), 18 years after the first outbreak !

Metastases in the liver and lung. (4 on the lung and something between 13 and 18 mets on the liver)

After researching, we found out, that zelboraf was approved by the FDA, in Europe it was still only available through clinical trials, doc did not really want to make a second biopsie, which would have been necessary to get into the trial.

I started to fly once every 6 weeks to the US to get Zelboraf there until it got approved in spring 2012 here.

Last CT did not show any liver mets reamining, regarding to the result it is unclear if there are still any mets on the liver at all.

On the lung are 3 left which are greatly reduced up to 70% and way less solid, only one met kept its size (reduced by 10% in the past year)

Condition of my dad is quite good, only sideeffect he has is the sensitive skin (no sun) and sometimes problems with the feet. Age 69 

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

Happy that "Z" is working for your dad.Lucky he has someone like you to fly here to get the drug till it was approved in Europe.I have been on it for just over a year myself.Pray that it keeps working for all on it.Beat the Beast. 

aldakota22
          Participant

Happy that "Z" is working for your dad.Lucky he has someone like you to fly here to get the drug till it was approved in Europe.I have been on it for just over a year myself.Pray that it keeps working for all on it.Beat the Beast. 

aldakota22
            Participant

Tina D
              Participant

Wonderful news always to hear reports like this. How incredibly blessed he is that you would fly every six weeks to get the meds. So glad he is having such a great response and with few side effects. And…SO glad that Z is now available for you to get at home! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you for taking the time to post!!

Tina

Tina D
                Participant

Wonderful news always to hear reports like this. How incredibly blessed he is that you would fly every six weeks to get the meds. So glad he is having such a great response and with few side effects. And…SO glad that Z is now available for you to get at home! ๐Ÿ™‚

Tina

Tina D
                  Participant

Tina

H555
                    Participant
                      Good to hear. I’m just finishing my 6th month and have bi-monthly scans next week. I hope I continue to have your dad’s good fortune.
                      H555
                      Participant
                        Good to hear. I’m just finishing my 6th month and have bi-monthly scans next week. I hope I continue to have your dad’s good fortune.
                        H555
                        Participant
                          H555
                          Participant
                            H555
                            Participant
                              H555
                              Participant
                                Ali
                                Participant

Great to hear!  Wishing you guys the best!

Ali
                                  Participant

Ali
                                    Participant

swissfarm7
                                      Participant

So is Zelboraf something that is only FDA-approved for Stage IV patients?  If so, why wouldn't it be approved for Stage III patients, as well?  I'm confused why a drug (not just Zelboraf) would be approved for patients beyond a certain stage while other patients need to be part of a trial to take it. 

(These questions aren't directed at the original poster specifically ~ just tossing it out for anyone who can answer or venture a guess. : ) )

Thank you,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                        Participant

So is Zelboraf something that is only FDA-approved for Stage IV patients?  If so, why wouldn't it be approved for Stage III patients, as well?  I'm confused why a drug (not just Zelboraf) would be approved for patients beyond a certain stage while other patients need to be part of a trial to take it. 

(These questions aren't directed at the original poster specifically ~ just tossing it out for anyone who can answer or venture a guess. : ) )

Thank you,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                          Participant

Thank you,

Colleen

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics