The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

(1) What now?, and (2) Total Body Photography

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community (1) What now?, and (2) Total Body Photography

Participant

Hello-

Question #1: I am really close to the end of my 12-months of Tx (Interferon, i.e. Intron-A, subcutaneous injections, 3 times/week). So, what nexxt? 

Question #2: Any feedback on photography as an adjunct to visual inspection for surveillance for malignant melanoma would be helpful (I appologize if the subject has been discussed in prior posts here).

Thank you all, so much.

Hello-

Question #1: I am really close to the end of my 12-months of Tx (Interferon, i.e. Intron-A, subcutaneous injections, 3 times/week). So, what nexxt? 

Question #2: Any feedback on photography as an adjunct to visual inspection for surveillance for malignant melanoma would be helpful (I appologize if the subject has been discussed in prior posts here).

Thank you all, so much.

P.S. Thank you Carol Taylor. Your kind response/prayer to my prior post has helped me so much these past 12 months. 

Karen

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

I can't really answer #1, although most do nothing after Interferon.  There really isn't much you can do.

As for #2, you are at higher risk for a recurrence than another primary.  Typically, only about 8% of the population only have more than one primary.  However, I am a big fan of any type of photography to monitor moles.  Biopsy things that are changing.  Photography gives you that independent eye and really helps keep imagination in check.  It definitely helped my anxiety after having that done.  (I've had 3 primaries so am at much higher risk to have more).  If you have this option, I'd certainly consider it.

Best wishes,

Janner

kjshaner444
            Participant

Thank you so, so much for the reply.  By the way, while I can certainly check in the morning whether this is covered by my own, particular  Health Insurance Plan, for the benefit of others here, would anyone know whether Total Body Photography for Melanoma is typically covered…?

Janner
              Participant

Some do, some don't.  You'll have to ask.

Janner
                Participant

Janner
                  Participant

kjshaner444
                    Participant

Thank you so, so much for the reply.  By the way, while I can certainly check in the morning whether this is covered by my own, particular  Health Insurance Plan, for the benefit of others here, would anyone know whether Total Body Photography for Melanoma is typically covered…?

kjshaner444
                      Participant

Webbie73
                        Participant
                          I have been toying with the idea of downloading an app for the IPAD that let’s you take a picture of moles, Aks SKs etc. The software will catalog the pictures and remind you to retake another picture after a certain time. It helps us keep track of changes so we can follow up with our derm. Cost is $4.99.
                          Webbie73
                          Participant
                            I have been toying with the idea of downloading an app for the IPAD that let’s you take a picture of moles, Aks SKs etc. The software will catalog the pictures and remind you to retake another picture after a certain time. It helps us keep track of changes so we can follow up with our derm. Cost is $4.99.
                            Webbie73
                            Participant
                              Janner
                              Participant

I have downloaded an app for my Android phone but haven't tried it yet.  I will say that the macro setting on my phone leaves something to be desired compared with my DSLR.  I wanted to try it for fun, but I think I'll end up using pictures taken with a more sophisticated camera.

Janner
                                Participant

I have downloaded an app for my Android phone but haven't tried it yet.  I will say that the macro setting on my phone leaves something to be desired compared with my DSLR.  I wanted to try it for fun, but I think I'll end up using pictures taken with a more sophisticated camera.

Janner
                                  Participant

Janner
                                  Participant

I can't really answer #1, although most do nothing after Interferon.  There really isn't much you can do.

As for #2, you are at higher risk for a recurrence than another primary.  Typically, only about 8% of the population only have more than one primary.  However, I am a big fan of any type of photography to monitor moles.  Biopsy things that are changing.  Photography gives you that independent eye and really helps keep imagination in check.  It definitely helped my anxiety after having that done.  (I've had 3 primaries so am at much higher risk to have more).  If you have this option, I'd certainly consider it.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                    Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

scots
                                      Participant

I finished Interferon this past Novevember.  I had a scan done in December which was clear and am continueing to see my dermatologist and oncologist every three months so far. I believe my oncologist is going to move my appointments to every 6 months after the next visit being that I'm NED. I also plan on haveing a scan at the end of the year. Also don't forget to enjoy being off interferon.

scot

scots
                                        Participant

I finished Interferon this past Novevember.  I had a scan done in December which was clear and am continueing to see my dermatologist and oncologist every three months so far. I believe my oncologist is going to move my appointments to every 6 months after the next visit being that I'm NED. I also plan on haveing a scan at the end of the year. Also don't forget to enjoy being off interferon.

scot

scots
                                          Participant

scot

OCGUY
                                            Participant

Total body photography is a great tool for anyone in the high risk of melanoma category. But where you have it done can make all the difference in the world. My wife went to a highly regarded teaching hospital’s total body photography program and had a horrible experience. She expected to receive the same professional and dignified experience that she had during all of her other medical visits and procedures at that hospital and that was absolutely not the case.

If she had called and asked first, these would have been the answers to her
                                              questions.

1)         Do you have a female photographer on staff for females?

Answer…NO

2)         If not, will there at least be a female chaperone in the room with me?

Answer…NO

3)         Is there a private area for me to undress and dress, or do I have to undress and
                                              dress right in front of the male photographer?

Answer…NO,
                                              and YES

4)         Will I be given a gown to wear during the photo session?

Answer…NO

5)         Can I decide what I want and what I do not want photographed, or is it all or nothing?

Answer…NO, and YES

6)         Can I at least keep my underpants on (where I have no moles) or must I be
                                              completely naked during the entire photo session, even when taking close up pictures
                                              of just my face, arms, and feet?

Answer…NO,
                                              and YES

7)         Is the chair that I and everyone else have to sit on naked during the photo session to take pictures of my feet covered with a new sanitary covering each time?

Answer…NO

8)         What size are the final prints, are they at least 8 x 10?

Answer…NO, they are 3.5 X 5

Don’t listen to what the photographer tells you about the doctor insisting that you must be completely naked during the entire photo session. You tell them what you what photographed and they can either accept or not. It makes no sense to have to be completely naked while they photograph your feet and hands. During a full body exam by a dermatologist, who is at least a doctor, you do not have to get undressed in front of them, nor are you ever completely naked at any time. Only the part he is examining is exposed, why should the photography session be any less professional and dignified.

Call and ask first, if you don't like the answers find someone else, or do it yourself with your spouse.

OCGUY
                                              Participant

Total body photography is a great tool for anyone in the high risk of melanoma category. But where you have it done can make all the difference in the world. My wife went to a highly regarded teaching hospital’s total body photography program and had a horrible experience. She expected to receive the same professional and dignified experience that she had during all of her other medical visits and procedures at that hospital and that was absolutely not the case.

questions.

Answer…NO

2)         If not, will there at least be a female chaperone in the room with me?

Answer…NO

3)         Is there a private area for me to undress and dress, or do I have to undress and

Answer…NO,
                                                and YES

Answer…NO

5)         Can I decide what I want and what I do not want photographed, or is it all or nothing?

Answer…NO, and YES

6)         Can I at least keep my underpants on (where I have no moles) or must I be
                                                completely naked during the entire photo session, even when taking close up pictures

Answer…NO,
                                                and YES

7)         Is the chair that I and everyone else have to sit on naked during the photo session to take pictures of my feet covered with a new sanitary covering each time?

Answer…NO

Don’t listen to what the photographer tells you about the doctor insisting that you must be completely naked during the entire photo session. You tell them what you what photographed and they can either accept or not. It makes no sense to have to be completely naked while they photograph your feet and hands. During a full body exam by a dermatologist, who is at least a doctor, you do not have to get undressed in front of them, nor are you ever completely naked at any time. Only the part he is examining is exposed, why should the photography session be any less professional and dignified.

Call and ask first, if you don't like the answers find someone else, or do it yourself with your spouse.

OCGUY
                                                Participant

questions.

Answer…NO

Answer…NO

Answer…NO,
                                                  and YES

Answer…NO

Answer…NO, and YES

Answer…NO,
                                                  and YES

Answer…NO

OCGUY
                                                  Participant

questions.

Answer…NO

Answer…NO

Answer…NO,
                                                    and YES

Answer…NO

Answer…NO, and YES

Answer…NO,
                                                    and YES

Answer…NO

OCGUY
                                                    Participant

questions.

Answer…NO

Answer…NO

Answer…NO,
                                                      and YES

Answer…NO

Answer…NO, and YES

Answer…NO,
                                                      and YES

Answer…NO

OCGUY
                                                      Participant

questions.

Answer…NO

Answer…NO

Answer…NO,
                                                        and YES

Answer…NO

Answer…NO, and YES

Answer…NO,
                                                        and YES

Answer…NO

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics