The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Scanxiety

Forums General Melanoma Community Scanxiety

Participant

I just need to vent.  I just went in for my semi-annual CT scan and was told it would be 4-7 days before I get my results. That's a lot of extra stress. Is a 4-7 day wait out of the ordinary?

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Colleen66
        Participant

On the day of my scans.  I get the scan first.  Then go for bloodwork.  Then go to the Oncologist Appt.  All three appts. are withing a 3-4 window of time.  I get the scan and bloodwork results at the last appt.  It really helps cut down on anxiety.

Colleen

Maureen038
            Participant

I agree with Colleen. We always get our scan results the same day. Communicate to the doctor, get the earliest appointment and make sure you have your oncologist appointment the same day. They are your scans! We pick up the scan report about four hours later from the radiology centers. You are entitled to that report even before the doctor has read it. Doing these things has dramatically minimize our scan anxiety. Please ask questions. Best of luck!

Maureen

democat
              Participant

Kaiser doesn't do that.  You have to have your scan done at least a week before your oncologist appointment.

democat
                Participant

Kaiser doesn't do that.  You have to have your scan done at least a week before your oncologist appointment.

democat
                  Participant

Maureen038
                    Participant

I agree with Colleen. We always get our scan results the same day. Communicate to the doctor, get the earliest appointment and make sure you have your oncologist appointment the same day. They are your scans! We pick up the scan report about four hours later from the radiology centers. You are entitled to that report even before the doctor has read it. Doing these things has dramatically minimize our scan anxiety. Please ask questions. Best of luck!

Maureen

Maureen038
                      Participant

Maureen

Colleen66
                      Participant

On the day of my scans.  I get the scan first.  Then go for bloodwork.  Then go to the Oncologist Appt.  All three appts. are withing a 3-4 window of time.  I get the scan and bloodwork results at the last appt.  It really helps cut down on anxiety.

Colleen

Colleen66
                        Participant

Colleen

DZnDef
                          Participant

I know how you feel, Roxanne!  I get my results on Wednesday and it is a bit nerve-wracking.  Although I also have my scans on Wednesday (I get same-day results).  The whole process is stressful but I am thankful to have it all over with in one day.  Is there any way your doctor could do that for you going forward?  Of course, the down-side of same-day results in my mind is the thought that "maybe they rushed it" and didn't read it correctly.  Which just goes to show that we can really psych ourselves out no matter how the scans are handled.

Do what you can to enjoy this limbo period.  While you don't know if your situation is improving, you also don't know that it is worsening.  I figure there is always plenty of time to deal with bad news once I hear it.  No amount of anticipating bad news has ever made hearing it any easier so why bother.  Revel in your ignorance.

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you that you have good news waiting for you!

Cheers!

Maggie

DZnDef
                            Participant

I know how you feel, Roxanne!  I get my results on Wednesday and it is a bit nerve-wracking.  Although I also have my scans on Wednesday (I get same-day results).  The whole process is stressful but I am thankful to have it all over with in one day.  Is there any way your doctor could do that for you going forward?  Of course, the down-side of same-day results in my mind is the thought that "maybe they rushed it" and didn't read it correctly.  Which just goes to show that we can really psych ourselves out no matter how the scans are handled.

Do what you can to enjoy this limbo period.  While you don't know if your situation is improving, you also don't know that it is worsening.  I figure there is always plenty of time to deal with bad news once I hear it.  No amount of anticipating bad news has ever made hearing it any easier so why bother.  Revel in your ignorance.

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you that you have good news waiting for you!

Cheers!

Maggie

democat
                                Participant

Thanks. I'm having trouble concentrating at work, but they cut me a lot of slack, since I've been there for over 20 years.

democat
                                  Participant

Thanks. I'm having trouble concentrating at work, but they cut me a lot of slack, since I've been there for over 20 years.

democat
                                    Participant

DZnDef
                                    Participant

Cheers!

Maggie

SABKLYN
                                      Participant

Like some of the others that have responded, I get my scan results on the day of my check-up.  The schedule typically is:

1. Arrive at 10:00 am to register and drink my contrast

2. Have my scan at 11:00 am.

3.  Blood work at 1:30pm

4.  Meet with my Dr at 2:00-2:30.  During that meeting he will have the results of my scan and bloodwork.

its bad enough waiting for the actual day.  Sorry you're having several days added.  Maybe something you can discuss?

SABKLYN
                                        Participant

Like some of the others that have responded, I get my scan results on the day of my check-up.  The schedule typically is:

4.  Meet with my Dr at 2:00-2:30.  During that meeting he will have the results of my scan and bloodwork.

its bad enough waiting for the actual day.  Sorry you're having several days added.  Maybe something you can discuss?

SABKLYN
                                          Participant

jenny22
                                            Participant

I have never heard of waiting 4-7 days for scan results.  I had mine recently on the Tuesday and Wednesday before thanksgiving…..and had results by the end of the day that same WEDNESDAY……that included  ALL CTs (neck, chest, abdomen, and pelvis)….AND MRI of Brain.  Addtionally I have never heard of a patient being given scans (cds) back prior to having gotten the results from the ordering physican.

In addtition to my own current experience, my experience was also with my husband who is a 5+ year stage III lung cancer survivor…..he always got his scan results back wihtin 24-48 hours.

4-7 days is inhumane…..and there is no reason for it to take that long.

jenny22
                                              Participant

I have never heard of waiting 4-7 days for scan results.  I had mine recently on the Tuesday and Wednesday before thanksgiving…..and had results by the end of the day that same WEDNESDAY……that included  ALL CTs (neck, chest, abdomen, and pelvis)….AND MRI of Brain.  Addtionally I have never heard of a patient being given scans (cds) back prior to having gotten the results from the ordering physican.

In addtition to my own current experience, my experience was also with my husband who is a 5+ year stage III lung cancer survivor…..he always got his scan results back wihtin 24-48 hours.

Maureen038
                                                  Participant

We live in Md and my husband goes to GCM Radiology. If you wait about five minutes after the scan you receive a CD copy of the scan. Also, we found out by asking the front desk that when the written report is finished, we can pick it up. Because we make the first appointment of the day, the written report takes about four hours. When he had a PET/CT scan done it took longer and they actually faxed his written report to him that day. If we don't have an appointment the day of the scans with our oncologist, she has not always seen the results before us because of her schedule. Please ask questions so you know what you are entitled to. What I have learned from asking questions is the worst they can do is say no. Whatever I can do to minimize the awful anxiety with the scans I do. Bill's oncologist knows I have terrible anxiety and has even called the radiology center and found out the results for us if we have an appointment with her afterwards and the report hasn't come in yet. In this terrible journey, I have made sure we are surrounded by compassionate, very competent doctors. I hope this helps people realize that the patient has more rights than you may think EXCEPT in clinical trials. 

Maureen 

Maureen038
                                                    Participant

We live in Md and my husband goes to GCM Radiology. If you wait about five minutes after the scan you receive a CD copy of the scan. Also, we found out by asking the front desk that when the written report is finished, we can pick it up. Because we make the first appointment of the day, the written report takes about four hours. When he had a PET/CT scan done it took longer and they actually faxed his written report to him that day. If we don't have an appointment the day of the scans with our oncologist, she has not always seen the results before us because of her schedule. Please ask questions so you know what you are entitled to. What I have learned from asking questions is the worst they can do is say no. Whatever I can do to minimize the awful anxiety with the scans I do. Bill's oncologist knows I have terrible anxiety and has even called the radiology center and found out the results for us if we have an appointment with her afterwards and the report hasn't come in yet. In this terrible journey, I have made sure we are surrounded by compassionate, very competent doctors. I hope this helps people realize that the patient has more rights than you may think EXCEPT in clinical trials. 

Maureen 

Maureen038
                                                      Participant

Maureen 

jenny22
                                                      Participant

Janner
                                                        Participant

Totally depends on the location.  Some places have the staff, transcriptionists and all the rest to get them out immediately.  Some don't so it is a process.  The bigger the institution, the faster you'll probably be able to get results.  Waiting sucks, but 4-7 days isn't out of the ballpark – except when it comes to anxiety.

Janner
                                                          Participant

Totally depends on the location.  Some places have the staff, transcriptionists and all the rest to get them out immediately.  Some don't so it is a process.  The bigger the institution, the faster you'll probably be able to get results.  Waiting sucks, but 4-7 days isn't out of the ballpark – except when it comes to anxiety.

Janner
                                                            Participant

ed williams
                                                              Participant

Hi from Canada Roxanne!  I do scans every 6 weeks as per clinical trial regs. The scan is done the 6 week of every cycle. I see my Oncologist the following Wednesday to get results. I guess I have gotten used to them since I get them so often ( 1 year into a 2 year trial). I try to go by how I am feeling. Feeling good these days, so why worry!!!  The only thing that I am getting tired of is the needles for the dye contast. Wishing you the best!!  Ed

ed williams
                                                                Participant

Hi from Canada Roxanne!  I do scans every 6 weeks as per clinical trial regs. The scan is done the 6 week of every cycle. I see my Oncologist the following Wednesday to get results. I guess I have gotten used to them since I get them so often ( 1 year into a 2 year trial). I try to go by how I am feeling. Feeling good these days, so why worry!!!  The only thing that I am getting tired of is the needles for the dye contast. Wishing you the best!!  Ed

democat
                                                                    Participant

Thanks Ed.  I do feel good, and am thankful for that.  Best of luck to you!!

democat
                                                                      Participant

democat
                                                                        Participant

ed williams
                                                                        Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics